Facade | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Facade

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PennyX":424mjm7a said:
Don't you understand Biggs?

Afraid not.

Do you understand that it was built in 1936, by fans, is one of the few pre-war symbols of Plymouth still standing, hundreds of thousands of feet passed through it, to many people is THE visual image of the club and still looks damn good?

But no, let’s bulldoze it for... no particular reason. Seriously, these redevelopment complaints are descending into farce. And beyond.

Jun 5, 2010
Biggs":2g6ip721 said:
PennyX":2g6ip721 said:
Don't you understand Biggs?

Afraid not.

Do you understand that it was built in 1936, by fans, is one of the few pre-war symbols of Plymouth still standing, hundreds of thousands of feet passed through it, to many people is THE visual image of the club and still looks damn good?

But no, let’s bulldoze it for... no particular reason. Seriously, these redevelopment complaints are descending into farce. And beyond.
I'm not complaining about the actual redevelopment, I'm looking forward to it.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
PennyX":2rn09sut said:
Biggs":2rn09sut said:
Read this for a neutral view of the facade and grandstand in general (written before the current superstore plans).

One final feature connected with the Grandstand, is not in the ground itself, but the turnstile block outside. Perhaps the most unique and attractive turnstiles in the entire country, they were built in 1936 and as with the rest of the ground, are painted in an attractive combination of green and white. It’s unclear as to whether these will survive the redevelopment, but should they do, they will provide a nice link with the past, that the Grandstand currently does, sitting next to its shiny new neighbours.

http://tims92.blogspot.com/2011/04/plym ... -park.html
Thanks, must admit some nice pics of it there.

I suggest you seek out a book on Art Deco architecture and connect the photos you see with the straight lines of the turnstile facade. It would have been nigh criminal to have demolished it and that was the reason buttresses were built at the rear to support it. It survived the Blitz in Plymouth, when some city centre art deco designed buildings did not

Jan 14, 2007
Going through a 'turnstile' at a ground like Kenilworth Road makes you appreciate all the more the unique nature of the facade and how lucky we are......

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
To be fair, that's the same for EVERYTHING in Luton.

It's enough to stand in the away end and wave your Y fronts in the air. :wave:

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
PennyX":1adokqoe said:
I don't mind it staying,but if that is the main entrance to the stadium we should modern it up a bit now.Maybe they will in some way.

It isn't going to be the main entrance to the stadium - it is now the entrance to the club shop.

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
The fans didn't pay for the facade, Archie Ballard did, hence the plaque. The plaque disappeared a while ago and was refurbished by Argyle.
According to Supporters' Club minutes for the period after the war, it seems the original plaque was removed during the war and never replaced, possibly lost. The Supporters Club badgered the Club until they provided a new one in the early 50s.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
So millions of feet have passed through the "Façade" it's still an appalling eyesore with no redeeming features at all....sentimental hog-wash personally....did Hitler have it on his hit list....no I didn't think so.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
pilgrimB173":1tnmn1nw said:
The fans didn't pay for the facade, Archie Ballard did, hence the plaque. The plaque disappeared a while ago and was refurbished by Argyle.
According to Supporters' Club minutes for the period after the war, it seems the original plaque was removed during the war and never replaced, possibly lost. The Supporters Club badgered the Club until they provided a new one in the early 50s.
From the history of Argyle on GoS:

The impressive facade, which contained 17 turnstiles, three pairs of exits gates and a ticket box, was approved by the Plymouth Corporation in the February and was expected to cost £300. PAFC's president, Mr A.C. Ballard, pledged £100 and the Supporters' Club, of whom he was also president, agreed to fund the rest on condition that a plate be erected to recognise their contribution. At their annual meeting in September, the cost was reported to have been twice the expectation, but to honour the words of the plate, the Supporters' Club committee agreed to meet the balance of the cost as and when funds permitted.

Greens On Screen

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Princerock":rjlmszm7 said:
So millions of feet have passed through the "Façade" it's still an appalling eyesore with no redeeming features at all....sentimental hog-wash personally....did Hitler have it on his hit list....no I didn't think so.

Thankfully the majority of us who have passed through those gates season in and season out for 50 years (unlike you) don't agree.

I suppose you like Pride Park, The Emirates etc etc eh?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
IJN":3pwtbddr said:
Princerock":3pwtbddr said:

Thankfully the majority of us who have passed through those gates season in and season out for 50 years (unlike you) don't agree.

Funny thing is Princerock and his ilk would be the first to scream blue murder if JB proposed demolishing it. :wave: :wave:

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Daz":2kehlx33 said:
IJN":2kehlx33 said:
Princerock":2kehlx33 said:

Funny thing is Princerock and his ilk would be the first to scream blue murder if JB proposed demolishing it. :wave: :wave:

How on earth can you come to such a ludicrous comment.

Mar 8, 2016
One of the biggest criticisms about modern football stadiums is that they lack character. The facade has character in abundance, it was a great idea to involve it with the new plans.

Jul 21, 2013
Cannot believe there’s even a discussion on this. If we were to ever lose the facade, we may as well remove the mayflower from our badge too.