Get ready for another Lowe rumour (Bristol City) | Page 24 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Get ready for another Lowe rumour (Bristol City)

May 22, 2006
City announcement 6pm tonight.

Seems to be their temp manager Holden, plus England U19 &U20 coaches- Paul Simpson and Keith Downing. City fans generally having a melt down after five weeks of waiting for news.

If this is true and their way forward is promoting youth (rather than getting the team promoted to the Prem), it might have implications to us regarding the loans of their younger players. They might decide to give Bakinson a chance at AG. Vyner was getting played after the restart and did pretty well.

Jul 14, 2008
Very surprising decision by City and a big gamble. Having decided to sack Johnson who was quite inexperienced, I felt sure that they would want to appoint someone who had been promoted out of the championship before.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I guess they are cutting their cloth to fit the financial times and, at the same time, adopting a specific youth-based strategy for future sustainable growth/maintenance?

That they have an exceedingly rich owner (self-made) is what makes this perhaps surprising and probably angers their fans. But, of course, the thing about exceedingly rich self-made people is that generally they like to look after their money very, very carefully so perhaps this shouldn't be a surprise to them at all.

May 22, 2006
City fans more than a little disappointed having thought they were getting Gerrard, Hughton or Cook. Many had not heard of Lowe before Johnson was sacked. Now they would probably all willingly take him compared to what they have ended up with.

Best comment:

“I hope I’m proved wrong but I was more excited to hear Rovers news last week that they’d had tarmac laid behind their clubhouse”.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Ridiculous expectations from Bristol fans. Chairman has pumped untold millions into their club and they are slaughtering him demanding he throw more millions into the pot. Every chance Holden and Simpson will be as successful as Hughton or Gerrard. I’ve never liked Bristol City or their fans. Saw one comment that they would probably appoint Lowe as we are a feeder club for them. :wave:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Larry David":gfol039u said:
Ridiculous expectations from Bristol fans. Chairman has pumped untold millions into their club and they are slaughtering him demanding he throw more millions into the pot. Every chance Holden and Simpson will be as successful as Hughton or Gerrard. I’ve never liked Bristol City or their fans. Saw one comment that they would probably appoint Lowe as we are a feeder club for them. :wave:

Can’t see how their expectations were ridiculous when those names were being mentioned by sources at the club. Obviously, it didn’t work out with Hughton but who can blame them for being disappointed.

This time last year, some sections of the Argyle support were throwing hissy fits because Lowe was taking more than half an hour to decide whether to take the job. With all due respect, what would have happened if Hallett had built us all up and then given it to Nance?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Seriously who cares about bristol city?

We seem more worried about there situations than they do.

Aug 5, 2016
Devongreenowl":ghotlh3e said:
Larry David":ghotlh3e said:

This time last year, some sections of the Argyle support were throwing hissy fits because Lowe was taking more than half an hour to decide whether to take the job. With all due respect, what would have happened if Hallett had built us all up and then given it to Nance?

Half an hour? More like half of pre-season :lol:

Aug 5, 2016
And Argyle were without a manager since Adams was sacked in April.

So your 'half an hour' was 5-6 weeks without a manager and without an update.

Some clubs sack a manager and have his reolacement lined up, terms agreed. I think I learned that Mourinho was back in management in the Prem before I had heard Pochettino was sacked by Spurs, that was how quick that replacement was.

Whichever way you dress it up, 5+ weeks was a long time to appoint a manager. The fans didn't know Hallett had his heart set on Lowe and the conplications the financial status of Bury brought, but to say it was a case of waiting half an hour is daft. The day before Lowe was appointed fans didn't know who was interviewed, if an appointment was imminent or what was going on. Lowe going on telly and saying he was going to remain a League One manager didn't really reassure anyone either. A bizarre thing to publicly declare in hindsight.