Goalkeepers | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goalkeepers

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Biggs":3d7g9cat said:
Justin":3d7g9cat said:
samjones":3d7g9cat said:
Yesterday demonstrates that Letheren is not the answer and we need a proper keeper.
I might of got the score wrong by I did predict him making a howler.
If that had been Macey the lynch mob on here would have been out

Completely.

Personally I’d have Macey back as soon as he’s fully fit.
He’s by far our best option and he’s earned the right to play behind an experienced, settled defence. He’s had to put up with change after change after change.

Justin, you clearly have a (very) soft spot for Macey but there is just no way that he will be reintroduced while Letheren is having this effect. The defence is settled in part because they have a confident and experienced keeper behind them, and it would be madness to change it back.

Sam is a troll and his dismissal of Letheren based on that goal is yet another wind-up tactic.

Far from it. IMHO Macey is by far the better keeper of the 2 and has received unjustified stick on here when he has been a victim of the poor defence. Letherens mistake yesterday was purely and simply down to him and not others.

Too many snowflakes on here calling "troll" because someone has an alternative view to their own. Its pathetic TBH

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
In a nutshell this is how I see it. It's quite obviously not a coincidence that since Letheren came in we're unbeaten with a draw and 2 wins, it's also not a coincidence that our defence look more comfortable & confident. Letheren isn't the long term solution and I'd love to see us chase Matthews but he remains, in my opinion, a better option than Macey. Physical attributes don't automatically make a good player, an odd comparison comes to mind but look at Garita, strength, power, pace, but absolutely no idea how to use those attributes, Macey has height, agility & spring, but again doesn't seem to know how to use them. Letheren may not be as physically gifted, but he's the smarter keeper & that for me is more important in the situation we find ourselves.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":m52n651h said:
In a nutshell this is how I see it. It's quite obviously not a coincidence that since Letheren came in we're unbeaten with a draw and 2 wins, it's also not a coincidence that our defence look more comfortable & confident. Letheren isn't the long term solution and I'd love to see us chase Matthews but he remains, in my opinion, a better option than Macey. Physical attributes don't automatically make a good player, an odd comparison comes to mind but look at Garita, strength, power, pace, but absolutely no idea how to use those attributes, Macey has height, agility & spring, but again doesn't seem to know how to use them. Letheren may not be as physically gifted, but he's the smarter keeper & that for me is more important in the situation we find ourselves.

So 'smart' that he was beaten by a shot from the oppositions half!? I think Letheren is lucky. Had very little to do. We have a more settled defence and Midfield with people playing in their right positions e.g. Songo'o and have got rid of Calamity Moore. Those are the reasons.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
As I have said before Macey has become the victim of our poor defence. He was MOM for most games at the start of the season but week on week conceding goals has clearly dented his confidence which you would fully expect for any goalkeeper let alone a relatively young one.

Letheren has had very little to do in any of his games and even in the 3 - 0 win against Oxford he managed to flap and panic with a simple headed backpass. He has made mistakes in every game albeit none crucial to the outcome as such
TBH I think he has been lucky with his timing coming into the team and he simply isn't as good as Macey

We are all allowed our own opinions but either way neither of them are probably the long term answer

Mar 16, 2009
London
Balham_Green":3tlbdskf said:
Cobi Budge":3tlbdskf said:

So 'smart' that he was beaten by a shot from the oppositions half!? I think Letheren is lucky. Had very little to do. We have a more settled defence and Midfield with people playing in their right positions e.g. Songo'o and have got rid of Calamity Moore. Those are the reasons.

Exactly how I see it too BG.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Biggs":2hqiqnui said:
Justin":2hqiqnui said:
samjones":2hqiqnui said:
Yesterday demonstrates that Letheren is not the answer and we need a proper keeper.
I might of got the score wrong by I did predict him making a howler.
If that had been Macey the lynch mob on here would have been out

Completely.

Personally I’d have Macey back as soon as he’s fully fit.
He’s by far our best option and he’s earned the right to play behind an experienced, settled defence. He’s had to put up with change after change after change.

Justin, you clearly have a (very) soft spot for Macey but there is just no way that he will be reintroduced while Letheren is having this effect. The defence is settled in part because they have a confident and experienced keeper behind them, and it would be madness to change it back.

Sam is a troll and his dismissal of Letheren based on that goal is yet another wind-up tactic.

I have a soft spot because I disagree with you and other, mostly naive, posters who desperately want to credit Kyle with anything they can because he’s ‘our’ player? That’s a big no.

I just see a much much better keeper in Matt who has, as Sam and others point out, had many MoM performances this season and had to deal with crumbling and crushingly inadequate defences in front of him.

Sam is trolling because he also disagrees?

Funny that because I think he makes many valid points.

Jul 12, 2016
This topic has already been discussed on another post. Letheren is part of a defence that has now collected 7 out of 9 points and deserves to keep his place.
Yesterday's second goal was no more than a fluke.Give the bloke a break.He has given the defence confidence and his ability to organise them is something Macey can only dream of.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I very rarely agree with Sam but, on this subject, he has a point. I don’t believe that Macey is the answer because I don’t think that he uses his height to our advantage and he does not spread himself well in blocking situations.
I think that the jury is still out on Letheren as, in the 3 games that he has played, I don’t recall a need to make an exceptional save although his command of the area and distribution is superior to Macey’s. Letheren also conceded a lot of goals in the Checkatrade Trophy games.
DA has a big decision to make before the deadline.
Can he trust Macey or Letheren to perform well when we play the likes of Portsmouth, Peterborough, Sunderland and others in last 20 matches?
I think he should be considering signing another experienced keeper, preferably not on loan. There must be keepers available other than Remi Matthews.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It's not so much that I highly rate Letheren himself, it's more that an experienced and confident keeper who can command his area, kick the ball reliably and communicate with his back four has MASSIVELY helped. Whether that was Letheren or someone else.

Longer term we need a better all-round number one.

And Justin, I can just about take you labelling those of us who can see that improvement as 'naive' or the ridiculous assertion that he's getting praise because he's our player (the thought hadn't even crossed my mind). But stating that Sam Jones makes many valid points.... :shock:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Justin":3cbxm75g said:

No not at all, I think Letheren is poor, always have done BUT Sam does troll and has been warned as to his style, just like GreenArmy1984 has.

Let's not make this a big thing eh? Sam was taken off yesterday by a Mod, its not open to discussion. This site is about footie, negative and positive posts are treated exactly the same.

Moan all you want, praise all you want, simply don't post for affect, it'll but you in the arse.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
IJN":1yfivoxg said:
Justin":1yfivoxg said:

No not at all, I think Letheren is poor, always have done BUT Sam does troll and has been warned as to his style, just like GreenArmy1984 has.

Let's not make this a big thing eh? Sam was taken off yesterday by a Mod, its not open to discussion. This site is about footie, negative and positive posts are treated exactly the same.

Moan all you want, praise all you want, simply don't post for affect, it'll but you in the arse.

I disagree that negative and positive posts are treated the same. I'm regularly "taken off" because I have an unpopular opinion, nevertheless its my opinion whilst others that post nothing more than rude personal abuse aimed specifically at me are allowed to continue posting
I've expressed opinions but not once personally abused people with an alternative view. That's their opinion and they are entitled to it just as I am entitled to mine.
The number of posts I just ignore is ridiculous but its better than resorting to chastising another poster.

These replies rather than opinions should be hooked off IMHO

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I recall David Seaman being lobbed from near the half way line.

Sep 2, 2008
GreenThing":19tlweb6 said:
I recall David Seaman being lobbed from near the half way line.

Remember it well. 'Nayim from the halfway line' was a regular chant for Seaman after that. He wasn't a very good keeper either... :roll:

Macey has all the makings of a great keeper. But he’s not utilising them, how many times has he parried the ball back into the penalty area? He doesn’t catch and has a penchant for palming the ball into the ground and then scooping it back up. He has good reactions but is terrible at the basics.

Kyle is assured and vocal. Granted that was an absolutely horrible goal to concede and I’m sure he had questions asked of him in the dressing room at full time.

I’m not convinced he’s the long term answer but he has certainly settled our defence nicely. Macey to stay on the bench for me.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
If Macey was to come back in this weekend after the results with Letheren in goal the pressure on Macey would be huge and if we were to lose all fingers would be pointed at him. Letheren should stay in goal until he loses form or it becomes obvious we are a better team with Macey in goal.

In many ways this is similar to the Ladapo/Taylor debate, many people on here see Taylor as a better striker/better for the team but how can you drop Ladapo when he keeps scoring goals and provides us results?