Going to HP to not watch football. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Going to HP to not watch football.

M

MikeN

plymouth1970":15vmla4w said:
Not condoning football violence in any way , BUT , how many of these self righteous keyboard warriors would say these stereotypical comments to the accused individuals , a round figure I guess . If you have a problem with these ‘knuckledraggers’ confront them , ask them why they allegedly act like thugs. Go on , show the same bravado as you do on here!

That's a nonsense comment, on a par with 'well why don't you buy the club then?' No one is hard enough to take one a handful of blokes, and if you got in their faces, you are not going to have a one-on-one Queensbury rules match. Besides which, the whole point is that throwing your weight around is pointless BS. If you told some of these guys that, and got your head kicked in, you might prove your point, but it would be pyrrhic victory.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Metal_Green_Mickey":184swbvc said:
plymouth1970":184swbvc said:
Not condoning football violence in any way , BUT , how many of these self righteous keyboard warriors would say these stereotypical comments to the accused individuals , a round figure I guess . If you have a problem with these ‘knuckledraggers’ confront them , ask them why they allegedly act like thugs. Go on , show the same bravado as you do on here!

Its not about being self righteous. Its just about wondering why the hell they behave that way?

Personally, I imagine their response would come in the form of using their fists (or worse). So the point of that would be them showing how hard they are (great :roll: ) because we know they simply dont care what people think of them in most cases. Hence why they behave the way they do.

Mickey, you're basically saying you can't understand why clueless dickheads behave like clueless dickheads.

Is it that difficult?

If you're a clueless dickhead, chances are you'll perform like one. And hey presto.

Mar 14, 2009
The Grumpy Loyal":1psm3xes said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1psm3xes said:
plymouth1970":1psm3xes said:

Its not about being self righteous. Its just about wondering why the hell they behave that way?

Personally, I imagine their response would come in the form of using their fists (or worse). So the point of that would be them showing how hard they are (great :roll: ) because we know they simply dont care what people think of them in most cases. Hence why they behave the way they do.

Mickey, you're basically saying you can't understand why clueless dickheads behave like clueless dickheads.

Is it that difficult?

If you're a clueless dickhead, chances are you'll perform like one. And hey presto.

No it’s more that someone behaves that way and spends £20 doing it when they could act that way for free. Like why spend £20, only to get yourself ejected from the game so you can’t witness all of it and then get yourself a HP ban. THATS WHAT I DONT GET. :lol:

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Metal_Green_Mickey":2u05x0ql said:
The Grumpy Loyal":2u05x0ql said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2u05x0ql said:
plymouth1970":2u05x0ql said:

Is it that difficult?

No it’s more that someone behaves that way and spends £20 doing it when they could act that way for free. Like why spend £20, only to get yourself ejected from the game so you can’t witness all of it and then get yourself a HP ban. THATS WHAT I DONT GET. :lol:

Its simple Mickey. It's because they're clueless dickheads. You're trying to fathom something based on reasoned logic. It's far simpler than that.

May 22, 2006
Because a football ground ban makes you look hard. What's £20 when you can have all the chavettes in your estate dropping their knickers for you?

It's probably double what they normally charge, but if these people were mathematically literate they wouldn't be in their situation.

I often look around at the people near me, moaning, booing, abusing their own players and ask myself why they bother turning up for something that obviously gives them such displeasure. And I agree with something Frank Skinner said on Fantasy Football - the average person spends all week saying "yes sir, no sir", becoming increasingly frustrated and angry, having to keep a lid on it. And then Saturday comes.

I'm sure many on here know what it's like having to crawl to the job centre and grit your teeth as some bureaucrat looks for reasons to not give you your pittance. Most of us know what it's like to write 100 job applications in a week and not get a single response. And when a chance comes to take it all out on a group of people who won't answer back, who won't punish, who won't sanction...we've all done it, and just occasionally we've gone a little bit over the top. But some of us possess the maturity to keep a lid on it, and find other ways to release the aggression. Others don't. And some have no intention of doing so. Some unfortunately grow up in a community where having a certain reputation is incredibly useful, and worth a lot more than £20.

Oct 16, 2016
It’s interesting. I grew up in the 70/80s and was a bit of a poo in my youth, football was one of the only true releases in the North West and latterly in the SW and my peers were involved in kicking lumps out of visiting, like minded miscreants. Thatcher was ‘ridding the country of the working class’ and the streets were awash with smack heads. Football was the ultimate release. This was way before cctv and mobile phones, the groups I hung around with were loyal to one another and it was fun, yep proper fun.

Fortunately my way out was joining up and that is what I did and went in another direction, football culture is my domain and I’ve done a heap load of reading, study on it. The first recorded football related violence was in the 1940s. It isn’t just violence in fact many (over 60%) never indulge in violence at all because there’s a whole culture of fashion and music that surrounds the ‘scene’. Leicester Uni has a dedicated professor and dept that study and comment on football related culture. Today the wannabe hoolie is quite laughable, yesterday was a good case in point and I was roaring with laughter at one point as the steward went arris over mam and the kids were being held back by a mysterious unseen force.

These people aren’t the scum that many portray here, they’re just kids who have taken a decision to follow a culture, they’ll grow out of it but probably still remain close to their friends

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Metal_Green_Mickey":noarfqrr said:
Steve Hiscott":noarfqrr said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":noarfqrr said:
Seriously, I’m totally dumbfounded by the morons who come to a football match and just want to fight.

It was both parties to blame. I find it hard to call these people supporters if l am honest.

Please tell me about why people see the need in paying £20 so you can try and get involved in a fight with rival fans? Why not instead forgo paying the £20, put an advert in a paper somewhere for a disused industrial estate and take your anger management problems out there with each other.

It’s not banter, where you purposely standing at the edge of the row so your placed between the safety netting and the opposition fans baiting each other continuously whilst the football carries on. Banter is harmless fun. A laugh. It’s not a tool to engage with rival fans to wind each other up enough that you to get extra security and police to hold off what would end up being a senseless riot. The actions people are carrying out in the name of their football team has got nothing to do with football, Argyle or Bristol Rovers.

Some of those fans. Both sets were a disgrace at times. An utter embarrassment for what was a match played out by two committed teams who gave their all. What is wrong with people. Passion is wonderful thing in football. Yet why on earth does it have to spill into anger that the only way to deal with your emotions is to knock someone head off. Doesn’t that embarrass people that they are grown adults who feel this way? Or is it their lives are so dull or sad that this is some kind of highlight.

If this fixture was out 20 or 30 years ago then i could possibly see what the problem is

The police and the football intelligence is nothing short of fantastic!

Yes there's always gonna be the odd few that will over step the mark but they love there club and love the team they support,

The hooligan element is nothing in comparison to what it was back in the day is there still one these day ????

Yes there was a few mishaps today but i honestly don't really know what you expected in a westcountry derby

Is it because there lives are so dull and boring i really have to disagree with that.

I understand it was much “worse” back in the day. Now it’s more control and a safer environment to go to.

Really my question still remains though which l don’t get. Why go to HP, when really your more intent in looking for a fight than watching the football. Argyle are just a vechicle for them to excuse the way they behave.

Around me people were passionate about the game but were able to control their emotions and that is where the difference is. Watching that numpty who ran onto the pitch to confront Rovers fans just because they scored. What was he thinking? What were The Rovers fans thinking when moving safety netting so they could move towards Argyle fans when it was 3-2. Brainless.

Maybe football has moved on and their are fewer of these people. Yet when you see the way people think on social media l would say society has created a problem regarding people attitudes that we sweep under the carpet, rather than actually try and deal with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abFXXucmj6M

Watch the way Argyle fans react in this video when Rovers score, 25 years on nothing has changed, merely the way they dress. Probability that some people in that video are still involved today, I have friends in London who are in their 50's and still involved in it, and even some in their late 50's-60's. It's something I don't think will ever be eradicated sadly, it is just rare to see incidents inside the grounds today due to the advent of CCTV cameras and the punishments involved in football related offences. It will always be there, it just tends not to happen inside the ground now, the incident in 2002 I think it was speaks testament to this, our lot went to Torquay on their way home from Exeter because Rovers were playing there, and it transpires that Exeters lot also went there, Rovers lot left Plainmoor and they clashed about a half a mile from the ground, remember reading about it at the time as there were knives, CS gas and other weapons involved and police had to be drafted in from other parts of Devon.

Sadly it is always going to be there, because young men are always going to find an excuse to fight, if it wasn't football they would just latch on to something else instead. Rugby league being a prime example at this because you see violence between fans at the games as well, and these are areas which don't tend to have a decent football club so areas like St. Helens and Warrington and the young men latch on their local rugby league teams instead.

Mar 14, 2009
The Grumpy Loyal":3hehn3lm said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3hehn3lm said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3hehn3lm said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3hehn3lm said:
plymouth1970":3hehn3lm said:

Is it that difficult?

Its simple Mickey. It's because they're clueless dickheads. You're trying to fathom something based on reasoned logic. It's far simpler than that.

You say that, yet like other people have said on this thread you often find these people have very "normal" jobs and have families. I mean how many times have we seen on twitter someone post a vile comment and when they were confronted they were found out to be what societies perceives them to be as "normal people".

I guess that is my fascination with it because logic goes out the window when you find out that some of people doing it aren't the "clueless dickheads" you expected them to be.

L

lambanog

gaspargomez":htgsnn3r said:
If you look at the people behaving like this, 90% are immature youths rather than proper men. The grown adults who take part are usually very low intelligence people who probably lead sad lives once they get home. So this is their big day out. They are too cowardly or physically incapable of fighting for real in the armed forces like true men.

But I think the authorities are too soft. They should start arresting anyone causing disturbance and take them to court. After a season or two the trouble would probably disappear for good.

I tend to agree with your last paragraph, after watching the antics of the Bristol fans on Saturday, a couple of cans of pepper spray would have put that to bed very quickly.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
The first recorded football related violence was in the 1940s.

The first instance of football violence is unknown, but the phenomenon can be traced back to 14th-century England. In 1314, Edward II banned football (at that time, a violent, unruly activity involving rival villages kicking a pig's bladder across the local heath) because he believed the disorder surrounding matches might lead to social unrest, or even treason. According to a University of Liverpool academic paper, conflict at an 1846 match in Derby, England, required a reading of the "riot act" and two groups of dragoons to effectively respond to the disorderly crowd. This same paper also identified "pitch invasions" as a common occurrence during the 1880s in English football.

The first recorded instances of football hooliganism in the modern game allegedly occurred during the 1880s in England, a period when gangs of supporters would intimidate neighbourhoods, in addition to attacking referees, opposing supporters and players. In 1885, after Preston North End beat Aston Villa 5–0 in a friendly match, both teams were pelted with stones, attacked with sticks, punched, kicked and spat at. One Preston player was beaten so severely that he lost consciousness and press reports at the time described the fans as "howling roughs".[8] The following year, Preston fans fought Queen's Park fans in a railway station—the first alleged instance of football hooliganism outside of a match. In 1905, a number of Preston fans were tried for hooliganism, including a "drunk and disorderly" 70-year-old woman, following their match against Blackburn Rovers.

Sep 6, 2006
Pogleswoody":39ypyxpb said:
The first recorded football related violence was in the 1940s.

The first instance of football violence is unknown, but the phenomenon can be traced back to 14th-century England. In 1314, Edward II banned football (at that time, a violent, unruly activity involving rival villages kicking a pig's bladder across the local heath) because he believed the disorder surrounding matches might lead to social unrest, or even treason. According to a University of Liverpool academic paper, conflict at an 1846 match in Derby, England, required a reading of the "riot act" and two groups of dragoons to effectively respond to the disorderly crowd. This same paper also identified "pitch invasions" as a common occurrence during the 1880s in English football.

The first recorded instances of football hooliganism in the modern game allegedly occurred during the 1880s in England, a period when gangs of supporters would intimidate neighbourhoods, in addition to attacking referees, opposing supporters and players. In 1885, after Preston North End beat Aston Villa 5–0 in a friendly match, both teams were pelted with stones, attacked with sticks, punched, kicked and spat at. One Preston player was beaten so severely that he lost consciousness and press reports at the time described the fans as "howling roughs".[8] The following year, Preston fans fought Queen's Park fans in a railway station—the first alleged instance of football hooliganism outside of a match. In 1905, a number of Preston fans were tried for hooliganism, including a "drunk and disorderly" 70-year-old woman, following their match against Blackburn Rovers.

It's good to see society progressing. Not. We have better living conditions than ever but some things don't change