Graham Carey (27.04.20 - to be released) | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey (27.04.20 - to be released)

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":21jcgsdh said:
WoodsyGreen":21jcgsdh said:
Actually, could Carey play the holding role? He's got a tackle in him and we know he's good on the ball and can pass it with his eyes closed. He'd be a quality QB-style DM.

I've never seen him tackle!!!

I’ve seen him try, was not pretty.

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
Biggs":1iep0f3t said:
I think the phrase 'you should never go back' should have the caveat of 'you should never go back... for the sake of it'.

Re-signing Carey wouldn't be rose-tinted nostalgia or blind optimism, it would be getting on board a player we know is one of the best attackers in the bottom two divisions.

Agreed. The people who say they wouldn't take him back appear to have an argument that he was part of the team that got us relegated and therefore he has no place at Argyle any more. Yet those same people would probably vote Sarcevic among their players of the season. A player who was also part of the team that got us relegated.

Carey was great for us and could be great for us again. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Whether Ryan Lowe wants him is another thing altogether.

Jun 27, 2019
The Doctor":3o5huzdg said:
WoodsyGreen":3o5huzdg said:
Actually, could Carey play the holding role? He's got a tackle in him and we know he's good on the ball and can pass it with his eyes closed. He'd be a quality QB-style DM.

I don't think he would be a big enough 'presence' in that role and would also be continually drifting away into positions where he can be more dangerous.

Good points.

Probably wishful thinking on my part. Would still love him back, though.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Kentishgreen":2piz5w04 said:
I don’t think Billy Bremner or Nobby Stiles were a big presence, stature wise.

True, and that's why I used the word 'presence'. Some players just seem able to really fill that central-defensive midfield space.
Kante is another one obviously.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Manchesterlalala":s8p6ogk0 said:
Biggs":s8p6ogk0 said:
I think the phrase 'you should never go back' should have the caveat of 'you should never go back... for the sake of it'.

Re-signing Carey wouldn't be rose-tinted nostalgia or blind optimism, it would be getting on board a player we know is one of the best attackers in the bottom two divisions.

Agreed. The people who say they wouldn't take him back appear to have an argument that he was part of the team that got us relegated and therefore he has no place at Argyle any more. Yet those same people would probably vote Sarcevic among their players of the season. A player who was also part of the team that got us relegated.

Carey was great for us and could be great for us again. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Whether Ryan Lowe wants him is another thing altogether.
Zackly. He'll be a bit older but we know he's got a 'great engine' (to use the footie-manager phrase) and he can beat people with footwork rather than speed so he'd still be a terrific addition to any L1 or L2 side.....and can you imagine the reception he'd get? I think he'd love it under Lowe. If only........

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
As Nobby said earlier in the thread - Carey delivers with goals and assists all done with workrate and skill and the occasional showboat.
If we are interested in signing him we might have to wait for several months and that will be the same for many clubs and players with a lot of pre-contracts arranged until the time when we can get back to something like normal.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Whilst he's up there with my favorite players, I don't think the gaffer will want him to be honest.

Apr 4, 2015
Balham_Green":2l8akhsb said:
Kentishgreen":2l8akhsb said:
I don’t think Billy Bremner or Nobby Stiles were a big presence, stature wise.

No but they could tackle!

No, they kicked people into row Z and wouldn't last 10 minutes in todays game, its not 1966 fgs.

If we dont sign Carey then he will sign for at least a league 1 team and possibly come back to haunt us. He would bring so much back into our team and season ticket sales would be considerably improved imo so we should try our best to tempt him back.

Feb 23, 2008
I'd have him back in a flash, his workrate was always fantastic, he was let down by the players around him when we were relegated, especially the supply from both full backs behind him.

He started his career at LB I believe, or was converted to play there, if his legs are still there I think he'd make a great attacking LWB.

Jun 27, 2019
That would make sense seeing as Greg Strong is up there and presumably recommended Threlkeld and Letheren.

Mind you, I had to laugh at Gary Neville's irony-free comments about the season restarting. If it's true they've signed Carey then that would make the following statement even more laughable.

"Clubs have huge investment in this season. Think about what’s at stake for Leeds, it’s absolutely massive. There are big prizes up for grabs. There’s huge economic loss. It clouds people’s minds in terms of the risk that they’re willing to take."

The salary cap can't come soon enough.