Grant is open to extending his Argyle career | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grant is open to extending his Argyle career

Aug 5, 2016
demportdave":8adbkjkj said:
Steve Evans":8adbkjkj said:
i reckon grant and mayor to tranmere
Can't see either of them wanting to drop back down to League 2.

I think Mayor is more likely to go to Fleetwood but hopefully, he will go somewhere else where he can still be the best player in League 1 in the middle third of the pitch.

There is every chance Tranmere may get promoted yet.

Dec 30, 2020
Brechin Hedge":2fxc4ic3 said:
i am afraid connor grant is imho precisely in the pack of 'much of a muchness' players we need to improve on if we are to improve next season. just in my humble of course. A couple of worldy goals but just not up to the general standard of play for a mid/top table team every week.

Presumably Adam Randell will be in the first team squad next season so will need a couple of midfielders to move on.

I also think he's a little bit overrated, but he was a fairly constant presence in our team this year, including the long spells (sept-nov & dec- march) when we were playing perfectly well .

I would look at it like this - how many signings are we expecting to make this Summer? Ten would be a huge number, yet would still require us to retain at least a dozen or so players from this season's squad.

Ideally, this would be the best dozen. I would be very surprised if anyone thought that Grant isn't one of them.

Jun 27, 2019
xmastree":1gpvccpc said:
WoodsyGreen":1gpvccpc said:
xmastree":1gpvccpc said:
Why do people say "I think he will stay/go" on threads like this, when they have no idea whatsoever? Serious question. If Grant is to be believed, he doesn't know himself!

I'll exempt Steve Evans, who never says anything remotely speculative.

Because some of us have read countless interviews like this one over the years and have learned to develop a hunch based on what is said.

It isn't a barometer of whether a player will stay or not; just a set of opinions posted on an opinion forum.

Fair enough Woodsy. In terms of the Grant interview which bit gives you a hunch about where Conor's future lies? To me it was all completely bland.

You're right about it being bland. But it was particularly the line about him being "open to the possibility" of staying that raised a red flag for me. It's a bit of a fudge isn't it? If someone offered me a role I didn't really want, I might say I was "open to the possibility".

If I was keen and wasn't sure whether they were going to make me an offer or not, I'd be a little more forthcoming. "I'd love to stay", "I'm really happy here", etc etc. There was none of that.

Anyway, I'm probably over-analysing it and will turn out to be completely wrong!

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
WoodsyGreen":21l7vllg said:
xmastree":21l7vllg said:
WoodsyGreen":21l7vllg said:
xmastree":21l7vllg said:
Why do people say "I think he will stay/go" on threads like this, when they have no idea whatsoever? Serious question. If Grant is to be believed, he doesn't know himself!

I'll exempt Steve Evans, who never says anything remotely speculative.

Because some of us have read countless interviews like this one over the years and have learned to develop a hunch based on what is said.

It isn't a barometer of whether a player will stay or not; just a set of opinions posted on an opinion forum.

Fair enough Woodsy. In terms of the Grant interview which bit gives you a hunch about where Conor's future lies? To me it was all completely bland.

You're right about it being bland. But it was particularly the line about him being "open to the possibility" of staying that raised a red flag for me. It's a bit of a fudge isn't it? If someone offered me a role I didn't really want, I might say I was "open to the possibility".

If I was keen and wasn't sure whether they were going to make me an offer or not, I'd be a little more forthcoming. "I'd love to stay", "I'm really happy here", etc etc. There was none of that.

Anyway, I'm probably over-analysing it and will turn out to be completely wrong!

So you are negotiating your salary for the next couple of years, do you say:

A) I'm definitely staying, so no need to up my salary
or
B) I have been offered opportunities elsewhere. I'll stay tho' if I get a good offer.

Discuss.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
On one hand Grant has a lot of quality and can play centrally, though I think he is better wide.On the other I do feel his crossing isn't consistently good enough and to get the best out of Danny Mayor you need a wing back with good crossing ability and a real burst of acceleration. Of course its likely that George Cooper will be fit again, he may not be the perfect solution either but his final ball is a lot more telling than Grant's.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Dorset Pilgrim":19mkzb6s said:
Of course its likely that George Cooper will be fit again, he may not be the perfect solution either but his final ball is a lot more telling than Grant's.

I don't think either of them are particularly good at crossing the ball accurately although I feel Cooper is better from a dead ball but Grant is better when on the run. Grant is a better option than Camara in the middle IMHO.

Being able to cover 3 or more positions makes him a useful squad player.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Good squad player.

Returnofthepob

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 20, 2015
Guiri Green":2gu4o88i said:
If he doesn't move on, I can see him staying, unless he signs for another club.

That’s all bases covered then right?
Either stays or goes …? :eh:

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
demportdave":23xud5pn said:
Steve Evans":23xud5pn said:

I think Mayor is more likely to go to Fleetwood but hopefully, he will go somewhere else where he can still be the best player in League 1 in the middle third of the pitch.

Best player in league 1 ? HaHa, I think you have been watching a different player than me :funny:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
lilcol":2akso724 said:
demportdave":2akso724 said:
Steve Evans":2akso724 said:

Best player in league 1 ? HaHa, I think you have been watching a different player than me :funny:

To be fair he did say ‘in the middle third of the pitch..’ I’d agree with that to be honest.

D

Deleted member 9145

Grant has qualities , I prefer him out wide where he has a bit more time on the ball but if Cooper is fit is he a luxury squad player?

Danny is among the best and most exciting players in league 1, maybe only 2nd to Dembele for dribbling. However the management has to work out how to play to get an end product out of him, practice shooting for starters.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Tugboat":1b8w9ej1 said:
Good squad player.

14 assists as a squad player this season. Pretty darn good if you ask me.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
JannerinCardiff":epka66e5 said:
lilcol":epka66e5 said:
demportdave":epka66e5 said:
Steve Evans":epka66e5 said:

To be fair he did say ‘in the middle third of the pitch..’ I’d agree with that to be honest.
Thanks JiC.

The subtlety and irony of my comment was obviously too much for lilcol.

Sep 22, 2020
when you think of some of the midfield players we have had at this level in the not too distant it puts into context what good is..........steve castle, david friio, john matthews, russell coughlin, ernie machin, norman piper, john newman.

no current midfielder we have is a must keep at present imho.