Hallett: “We've made mistakes” | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hallett: “We've made mistakes”

Jul 12, 2016
Wow. The knives really are out. Everybody makes mistakes and SH has admitted it. If he read some of the comments on here he would wonder why he bothers. SH and his wife have put a lot of money into Argyle and have transformed us to be a club which is the envy of many. I do not support the use of so much data driven data for recruitment but do not see the need to put the boot in because we have had a rocky few months. Few of us have the resources to invest in the money pit which is a championship club so criticise by all means but keep it in perspective. SH has an awful lot of credit in the bank.

Mar 23, 2008
He didn't quite say that, his exact words were..............

Thanks to the Herald for the quote.
Got alot of time for Simon but the last line of that quote are not good. Fans are consumers and they should be listened to, not on everything and not as the deciding factor but at least factored in. To say we basically will go against the grain to be stubborn isn't a good look.
On succession planning, in his defence it's never straightforward. We always have people in mind for jobs, should a vacancy occur. It's then though timing, often a vacancy opens by surprise and the law of the sod quite often means the person/people you had in mind have moved on elsewhere or had a change of direction, so you have to start from scratch.

Reactions: castlegreen
May 16, 2016
Funny how the experts and advice givers saying the Chairman is wrong and believe social media plays a part in a wealthy successful businessmans decision planning and decision making, struggle to get past a different opinion or the merest of criticism on a provincial football clubs fan site.

Thanks guys, but If I had any, I know who I'd rather trust my money with.

(Spoiler - it ain't you).

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Hindsight is a wonderful thing......but how many times has a Div One team won the title with over a 100pts.

It would have been easy to think that such a team would in the Championship been able to avoid the drop area at least.

Four reasons to consider why it has been a tough season.

1.....The dependence on loan players....with no bottomless pit of cash... loan players can bring quality in... that we cannot afford to buy ourselves.....so when vital loan players where recalled it left an unfillable gap in our team.
The loss of Finn Azaz was one such player....and to a lesser degree Luke Cundle.

2.....The failure over two transfer windows to bring in quality proven goal scorers to cover for our main two goal getters.....this was a terrible omission.....and I assume money was the problem why we failed in that area.

3.....The failure of Bali Mumba this season to kick on from a successful season before.....A one million pound asset that didn't live up to expectations in the Championship was disappointing....and at times he became a luxury we couldn't afford....and he was picked continually with us hoping that next time he would produce the goods....one memorable goal he scored was when he deflected the ball into his own net with Cooper ready to take take it.

4.....Reason 2 above... meant that Hardie and Whittaker played far to many minutes and quite often the full ninety minutes plus... too often.....Whittaker's success meant he was marked out as the man to stop....and in the end his sharpness was blunted by over playing.
Hardie I felt for... as the season progressed...worked his socks off...and in the end was literally burnt out....but he kept going.
So a lack of service from an understrength mid-field that had lost its shining gem....Finn Azaz... meant they where starved of a good supply of chances.

For a club that supposedly had the second lowest budget...we've done well....and Schumacher's actions plus Foster and the lose of loan players at such a critical time was the equivalent of a kick in the nether regions.

A win today will put it all in the past....lets hope Norwich do the business at Birmingham today...because I see that as our best chance of staying up.

Sep 6, 2006
Hindsight is a wonderful thing......but how many times has a Div One team won the title with over a 100pts.

It would have been easy to think that such a team would in the Championship been able to avoid the drop area at least.

Four reasons to consider why it has been a tough season.

1.....The dependence on loan players....with no bottomless pit of cash... loan players can bring quality in... that we cannot afford to buy ourselves.....so when vital loan players where recalled it left an unfillable gap in our team.
The loss of Finn Azaz was one such player....and to a lesser degree Luke Cundle.

2.....The failure over two transfer windows to bring in quality proven goal scorers to cover for our main two goal getters.....this was a terrible omission.....and I assume money was the problem why we failed in that area.

3.....The failure of Bali Mumba this season to kick on from a successful season before.....A one million pound asset that didn't live up to expectations in the Championship was disappointing....and at times he became a luxury we couldn't afford....and he was picked continually with us hoping that next time he would produce the goods....one memorable goal he scored was when he deflected the ball into his own net with Cooper ready to take take it.

4.....Reason 2 above... meant that Hardie and Whittaker played far to many minutes and quite often the full ninety minutes plus... too often.....Whittaker's success meant he was marked out as the man to stop....and in the end his sharpness was blunted by over playing.
Hardie I felt for... as the season progressed...worked his socks off...and in the end was literally burnt out....but he kept going.
So a lack of service from an understrength mid-field that had lost its shining gem....Finn Azaz... meant they where starved of a good supply of chances.

For a club that supposedly had the second lowest budget...we've done well....and Schumacher's actions plus Foster and the lose of loan players at such a critical time was the equivalent of a kick in the nether regions.

A win today will put it all in the past....lets hope Norwich do the business at Birmingham today...because I see that as our best chance of staying up.
Fed up listening to all this 'burnt out' rubbish. Are you trying to tell me that we don't have the wherewithal to adapt the intensity of training to a players' workload every week? I dont buy it.
I agree with point 2 though. We needed more strikers not necessarily goalscorers but someone with physical presence who can hold the ball up and win a header. Massive omission from this squad.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He didn't quite say that, his exact words were..............

“We are not going to make a change just because the fans are yelling. We have made loads of decisions that have been unpopular with the fans, and we have ignored a lot of demands from the fans.

Look, I'm an investment guy. You become a good investment guy by being a contrarian. It makes you dig your feet in a bit more, particularly when that tiny minority of fans were being so abusive. I'm sorry but it makes us less likely to make a change they are demanding.”

I’ve got no problem with the first paragraph.

But the second paragraph is a tad worrying, he’s essentially implying that decisions have made for no other reason than to spite the supporters - I hope he didn’t actually mean that.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Fed up listening to all this 'burnt out' rubbish. Are you trying to tell me that we don't have the wherewithal to adapt the intensity of training to a players' workload every week? I dont buy it.
I agree with point 2 though. We needed more strikers not necessarily goalscorers but someone with physical presence who can hold the ball up and win a header. Massive omission from this squad.

So are you saying that Ryan Hardie has been conning us for the last month or two... and isn't totally knackered and burnt out.....because if he isn't... he is worthy of an Oscar for deception.

Reactions: kimbo
Jun 27, 2019
I’ve got no problem with the first paragraph.

But the second paragraph is a tad worrying, he’s essentially implying that decisions have made for no other reason than to spite the supporters - I hope he didn’t actually mean that.

I don't mind it. You don't want the guy holding the nuke codes to jerk his knee every time there's a bit of pressure.

Sep 6, 2006
So are you saying that Ryan Hardie has been conning us for the last month or two... and isn't totally knackered and burnt out.....because if he isn't... he is worthy of an Oscar for deception.
Nope has lost confidence and only really effective with quality players supplying him. Can't do it in a struggling team

Apr 15, 2024
The huge mistake was Shuemacher and Hallett thinking we could go from Hardie Cosgrove Ennis plus midfielders to just Hardie and midfielders in a higher league !
Shuey couldn't possible have envisaged Whittaker waying in with 20 goals when they took that original decision last summer to go it alone with Hardie

(Please don't mention Waine )

Reactions: RochdaleGreen

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Yes lost confidence and receiving poor service....end result is that he is now knackered and burnt out with the effort of trying to compensate.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Posted this on "Busy summer ahead" thread but equally vaild on this thread.

Argyle goalscorers this season (all comps) from GoS. Worth listing here to show the severity of the issue.

Whittaker 20 (1 cup)
Hardie 13 (1 cup)
Azaz 7
Cundle 5 (2 Cup)

4 goals - Randell (1 cup), Waine (3 Cup)
3 goals - Bundu, Mumba
2 goals - Edwards
1 goal - Galloway (cup), Scarr, Sorinola and Miller.

The paucity of goals from midfield and defence throughout the season (extrapolated by loss of Cundle and Azaz in January) has been a real problem.

Whatever League we are playing in come August, clearly an area to address in summer recruitment.

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Sep 6, 2006
Yes lost confidence and receiving poor service....end result is that he is now knackered and burnt out with the effort of trying to compensate.
Nope different things entirely. You don't get my point re training being adapted during the week? You think if he is exhausted from 90 minutes we continue to flog him?