Harry Burgoyne (loan cancelled) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Harry Burgoyne (loan cancelled)

Feb 23, 2008
PL2 3DQ":3m8a78gv said:
With Burgoyne getting injured two weeks before the start of the season I can understand that we would be short of options but on paper a keeper arriving from Arsenal would be a good signing.

It hasn't worked out and if Macey plays for the second half of the season it would be very difficult to avoid relegation.
He's conceded the most goals in League One, this can't continue and with Burgoyne now gone back to Wolves and freeing up a wage we need to sign a keeper in January as a matter of urgency.

If we can't send Macey back then we should take the hit of paying the wages for a keeper that doesn't play for half a season, just as we did with Burgoyne, and sign someone else.

Not sure you can blame a young keeper learning his trade when the team is a shambles.

Our defence is awful and an easily penetrated midfield coupled with the lack of Taylor up front to hold things up means the team isn't defending from the front as it should be.

There are also games where Macey has produced the odd wonder save to keep us in the game or win us the points.

If people aren't keen on us letting a youngster learn their trade then maybe DA needs to stop signing loan keepers and either let Letheren have a crack or sign an experienced pro.

Sep 6, 2006
chunkymonkey78":37os9nbf said:
PL2 3DQ":37os9nbf said:
With Burgoyne getting injured two weeks before the start of the season I can understand that we would be short of options but on paper a keeper arriving from Arsenal would be a good signing.

It hasn't worked out and if Macey plays for the second half of the season it would be very difficult to avoid relegation.
He's conceded the most goals in League One, this can't continue and with Burgoyne now gone back to Wolves and freeing up a wage we need to sign a keeper in January as a matter of urgency.

If we can't send Macey back then we should take the hit of paying the wages for a keeper that doesn't play for half a season, just as we did with Burgoyne, and sign someone else.

Not sure you can blame a young keeper learning his trade when the team is a shambles.

Our defence is awful and an easily penetrated midfield coupled with the lack of Taylor up front to hold things up means the team isn't defending from the front as it should be.

There are also games where Macey has produced the odd wonder save to keep us in the game or win us the points.

If people aren't keen on us letting a youngster learn their trade then maybe DA needs to stop signing loan keepers and either let Letheren have a crack or sign an experienced pro.

Sums it up exactly.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I think Adams will sign an experienced Pro in Jan and put him straight in. But Burgoyne is yet another one to add to the collection that has been a bad signing.

I like the idea of Cooper going on loan maybe to a Non league side too. Rather than play in front of this shambles.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
chunkymonkey78":1rnlveo0 said:
PL2 3DQ":1rnlveo0 said:

Macey is 24 and not a youngster and at that age he shouldn't be learning his trade at our expense.

Macey is very good at making wonder saves, probably the best saves we've seen for years, but he has too many flaws in his game.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Macey was awful today in pretty much every aspect of goalkeeping. I liked him earlier in the season but I've lost faith now.

Give Cooper a go because we've got nothing to lose.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Cobi Budge":2nod0gv8 said:
Macey was awful today in pretty much every aspect of goalkeeping. I liked him earlier in the season but I've lost faith now.

Give Cooper a go because we've got nothing to lose.

I agree, at least until the January window.

May 1, 2011
Ollieargyle9":1p6c1s6l said:
Frank_Butcher":1p6c1s6l said:
Ollieargyle9":1p6c1s6l said:
Macey is utterly hopeless, it's is by no means our defence looks so clueless and shaky with a clueless and shaky keeper behind them.

As for this loan deal I think the club was hugely naive to have such favourable terms for Wolves. There are plenty of young goalkeepers out there getting no playing time, we weren't cup in hands begging for him so why were the terms so set against us.

As for Wolves, I'm in no way surprised that a greedy Premier League club would milk us of 6 months wages on an injured player with every intention of having him back when he was fit. Such is the nature of the game at the top, such is the nature with many people who have more money than they know what to do with. What would be peanuts to them is 1-2 full time players for us but because they can save a few peanuts then take advantage of that poorly defined contract for all its worth. Disgusting but utterly predictable.

Sorry, but what obligation did Wolves have? Absolutely none. Why do some still not understand that football is a business that deals in entertainment, not a charity. And then to conflate it with the politics of envy as well. Wolves have done nothing wrong.

And this pretty much sums up the self-centred mindset of the modern game.

Contractually no they have done nothing wrong and please point to where I suggested they did. This isn't about their obligations, it's about decency and looking out for smaller clubs who don't rake it in from Premier League sponsorship deals.

This is no different to the greed these juggernauts show when it comes to hoarding youth players, refusing to trickle down their riches to grassroots football, threatening to form breakaway leagues to get better shares of TV deals. None of which break any rules or agreements, that isn't the point though. It's about greed, it's about all that is wrong with the "business is business" mindset.

We naively signed up to a contract heavily weighted in favour of Wolves and got well and truly bitten on the behind for our mistake. Whoever agreed to that deal is just as much at fault, however the decent thing to do bearing in mind Wolves were probably insured anyway would've been to take him back, the wage is nothing to them, absolutely nothing with the money they'll earn this year. Us on the other hand it's one less player we can afford to pay because we've got an injured goalkeeper burning a hole in our budget.

We signed a player who got unfortunately injured, that is not Wolve's fault. They have actually helped us out by taking him back early. What exactly have they done wrong? They didn't break his ankle.

PAFC are not a charity, we are a private commercial outlet.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Leigh Rapson":3mwhgcnm said:
From what I understand the loan deal for macey insists he plays if he’s fit. Could well make sense why Burgoynes loan was cancelled.

So that 54 page thread of Macey needing to be dropped was pointless then. :lol: