Incoming James Bolton (Confirmed) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Incoming James Bolton (Confirmed)

Feb 23, 2006
I wonder if we are going to have a " No prisoners " defence this season, if all our new defenders click and perform as a solid unit,
I think opposing forwards could well feel intimidated this coming season with facing them.

Aug 5, 2016
Seems a solid dependable player. Pompey fans seem to rate him as a capable trier but no world beater - just like all of Lowe's other defensive signings.

Lowe seems to have identified a certain personality type in his dressing room and gone out and got 4 of them. The type that will head and tackle everything and not concede soft goals, but aren't gonna be able to pass it around at the back like Manchester City.

Oct 28, 2011
Nottingham
Looks potentially like a very good signing. Welcome to Argyle James! I hope that you and your fellow defenders will earn many clean-sheet bonuses and that we will be benefitting from a few of your goals next season!

Hopefully the new additions will provide a more balanced mix of experience and potential in defence than we've seen of late.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Knibbsworth":1kdf82df said:
Seems a solid dependable player. Pompey fans seem to rate him as a capable trier but no world beater - just like all of Lowe's other defensive signings.

Lowe seems to have identified a certain personality type in his dressing room and gone out and got 4 of them. The type that will head and tackle everything and not concede soft goals, but aren't gonna be able to pass it around at the back like Manchester City.

Can any L1 centre backs?

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Metal_Green_Mickey":vyd743ae said:
Forest of Dean Green":vyd743ae said:
I’m not feeling wowed by any of these signings so far. I’m not daft enough to expect top line quality but it is all feeling pretty journeyman so far. Hope I’m completely wrong and will love it if I am

I have to ask though when did a CB ever wow the fanbase.

All you want in a CB is consistency in terms of their ability to defend. Last season unfortunately l believe someone like Opoku has the talent but he just lost focus during a 90 min game too many times.

I think it’s the midfielders, the wide men and the forwards that often give the “wow” factor.

Bradley came in and wasn’t a wow factor player but when he left he was. Bradley was idolised by the fanbase. Yet l believe he looked so good because he was a consistent good defender and the others around him were so shocking.

Coughlan was one of my favourite defenders. However, he lacked a lot of pace. Yet he gave everything and got stuck in.

To be honest after watching Argyle defensively last season surely solid L1 players in Wilson and Bolton is a better platform to develop your team from than a Watts and Opkou.

I hope you are right. I’m not looking for a flashy dashing centre back. That’s not what I mean. But he’s 26 and only 90 odd games at what you’d think was a decent level, and even then getting released by Pompey. I’m just not overawed by the profile at Workington, Stafford, Halifax etc. Late developer maybe. Let’s hope so. And of course we’ve had others with higher profiles (Wootton from Leeds) that have been mares. What do I know. Nor any of us for that matter

Oct 31, 2015
Good news. Pompey mate of mine says he will do a job for us but they won't miss him. Made me laugh :funny:

Welcome aboard :scarf:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Forest of Dean Green":2n82dj5o said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2n82dj5o said:
Forest of Dean Green":2n82dj5o said:
I’m not feeling wowed by any of these signings so far. I’m not daft enough to expect top line quality but it is all feeling pretty journeyman so far. Hope I’m completely wrong and will love it if I am

I have to ask though when did a CB ever wow the fanbase.

All you want in a CB is consistency in terms of their ability to defend. Last season unfortunately l believe someone like Opoku has the talent but he just lost focus during a 90 min game too many times.

I think it’s the midfielders, the wide men and the forwards that often give the “wow” factor.

Bradley came in and wasn’t a wow factor player but when he left he was. Bradley was idolised by the fanbase. Yet l believe he looked so good because he was a consistent good defender and the others around him were so shocking.

Coughlan was one of my favourite defenders. However, he lacked a lot of pace. Yet he gave everything and got stuck in.

To be honest after watching Argyle defensively last season surely solid L1 players in Wilson and Bolton is a better platform to develop your team from than a Watts and Opkou.

I hope you are right. I’m not looking for a flashy dashing centre back. That’s not what I mean. But he’s 26 and only 90 odd games at what you’d think was a decent level, and even then getting released by Pompey. I’m just not overawed by the profile at Workington, Stafford, Halifax etc. Late developer maybe. Let’s hope so. And of course we’ve had others with higher profiles (Wootton from Leeds) that have been mares. What do I know. Nor any of us for that matter

He’s played 135 games in four seasons at League One level in all comps, in a Shrewsbury team that made the playoff final and a Pompey team that finished in the top 8 twice. That’s good league one experience and a centre back in his prime years.

He wasn’t released by Pompey. We have paid for him.

I think this is a tidy signing and confirms our clear change of tact in defence from last year.

Jan 18, 2007
rsp4 said:
Good news. Pompey mate of mine says he will do a job for us but they won't miss him. Made me laugh :funny:

Welcome aboard :scarf:[/quote

Living where I do now I get this club rammed down my throat morning noon and night, to quote Mr Keagan I will love it if we can beat them lol. Coyg

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
DartingtonPilgrim":ubazhm92 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":ubazhm92 said:
Looks like he can play CB but maybe cover RWB and give Edwards competition.

If Galloway signs too for LWB competition then we need to sort out the midfield. That holding midfielder is the key to Lowe’s system l feel.

Since we appear to be paying transfer fees I wonder if the holding midfielder may be someone like Ebou Adams who is in the last year of his contract , FGR have brought in 2-3 new midfielders this week.

I had the same thought earlier. Would be delighted with that (albeit based on the season before last).

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Last season we scored just 8 goals from a set-piece routine, the joint-worst record in League One, so signing all these big bruisers should dramatically improve our chances of scoring from corners and free-kicks and obviously from conceding from them as well.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
So we will be going from a charitable belly rubbing kitten with no bite to a snarling no nonsense canine who will be depositing in the opposition net - i cant wait to see this beast :thumbup:

Aug 5, 2016
PL2 3DQ":3sj8u386 said:
Last season we scored just 8 goals from a set-piece routine, the joint-worst record in League One, so signing all these big bruisers should dramatically improve our chances of scoring from corners and free-kicks and obviously from conceding from them as well.

I'm surprised it is as many as 8.

Can we collectively remember all of them?

Mar 14, 2009
I am wondering how this all works.

I mean if we are asking these defenders to play out from the back, and it’s simply not their game, then l do wonder how this 3 ATB system will work.

People have said maybe less messing around and getting it forward quicker. However, for that to happen you need physical forwards and it doesn’t seem like Lowe’s style of play.

Maybe Lowe feels he can coach them to be better on the ball. I think this is where our biggest gamble is this season especially if teams press us.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Did anykne watch us at the end of last season ? Yes there were plenty of mistakes at the back but these werent caused by trying to play out from the back

If mayor didnt carry the ball all we did was hoofbit down the centre and wondered why hardie and jephcitt stopped scoring

Hardie likes the balls in the channels jephcott likes an early ball whipped into box and we did neither

Ennis im not sure his preference but he was good at gettjngbon end of stuff qnd reminded me a bitbog hayles

Lets not get suckered in with lowes charm offensive the football we played last season was a poor imitation of sturrock mk 1