January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings | Page 23 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
All a bit quiet on the speculation front.

Are we set for the usual missed targets, 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice signings and disappointment?

Or a pleasant surprise?

May 8, 2011
Stuart House":31dwyvd6 said:
All a bit quiet on the speculation front.

Are we set for the usual missed targets, 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice signings and disappointment?

Or a pleasant surprise?

Disappointments? What like previous January signings of Sarcevic, Taylor, Threlkeld, Kennedy, Vyner and Matthews.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
You said the ‘usual’ disappointment, all those names prove is that not all signings are successful. For any club.

And I’d argue that Blissett and Sokolik did a job, helping us get over the line in League 2. Didn’t all NB’s three goals for us win points?

Nov 22, 2006
Can't imagine coming all the way down here to join in with a relegation dog fight is enticing for most players I think people need to accept we wont see anyone else come until the last week of January and definitely not before the two home games coming up and probably not names that are going to excite the majority

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Other than boredom/doom merchant, why are you suggesting missed targets?

DA has already commented that he expected to do his business at the back end of the window (as most do historically) so why the negative slant?

All lower league clubs are the paupers in this charade. We almost always have to wait for someone higher up the food chain to get what they want, be it Cardiff/Bristol City, sign a new Centre Back and the prospect who is currently their 4th choice CB, becomes their 5th and they then deem it better for him to find a suitable club for a few months.

I wish it wasn't the way but it is, signing someone on the 2nd of Jan or the 30th Jan is no measure of whether they will prove to be a success, every signing is a gamble to a degree.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I would think all 72 league clubs will miss out on their targets, as they'll all be realistic enough that its nigh on impossible to pick up all the players you want, for the budget that you have, without circumstance or competition from others.
The whole window is a pantomime, i fail to see who benefits from it other than agents and Sky Sports who seem to spend their time wetting themselves when someone who cant break into the Stoke team goes to Gillingham on loan.
I'm sure we'll see 2, possibly 3 new faces.

Apr 29, 2016
Green Giant":2ilcm6uz said:
Can't imagine coming all the way down here to join in with a relegation dog fight is enticing for most players I think people need to accept we wont see anyone else come until the last week of January and definitely not before the two home games coming up and probably not names that are going to excite the majority

They’re probably queued up to come down here to get booed or be told that they’re not fit to wear the shirt.

May 8, 2011
Voice_of_Reason":3jjcdn2h said:
I would think all 72 league clubs will miss out on their targets, as they'll all be realistic enough that its nigh on impossible to pick up all the players you want, for the budget that you have, without circumstance or competition from others.
The whole window is a pantomime, i fail to see who benefits from it other than agents and Sky Sports who seem to spend their time wetting themselves when someone who cant break into the Stoke team goes to Gillingham on loan.
I'm sure we'll see 2, possibly 3 new faces.

Only if they are better than what we’ve already have and can afford that quality which is the difficult bit.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Stuart House":hcie4r80 said:
I'll raise you ....

Paton, Church, Blissett, Sokolik, Houghton, Nardiello.

Think you’re being harsh. Sokolik was great in League Two, just wasn’t up to League One. Jordan Houghton was decent enough too. Would hardly call either a disappointment. Blissett also scored some important goals but ultimately wasn’t up to league one.

Paton wasn’t signed in January and was always short term back up. If you’re counting him, then add Jamille Matt to the success list.

Nardiello and Church, yeh fair enough. Very bad.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Nobby":1u7jzelr said:
Stuart House":1u7jzelr said:
I'll raise you ....

Paton, Church, Blissett, Sokolik, Houghton, Nardiello.

Think you’re being harsh. Sokolik was great in League Two, just wasn’t up to League One. Jordan Houghton was decent enough too. Would hardly call either a disappointment. Blissett also scored some important goals but ultimately wasn’t up to league one.

Paton wasn’t signed in January and was always short term back up. If you’re counting him, then add Jamille Matt to the success list.

Nardiello and Church, yeh fair enough. Very bad.

Nardiello and Church were in themselves not bad footballers. Both were initially signed up, I felt, when DA had been less successful seeking other striking candidates, but this pair had both received longer term injuries and had not really tested themselves playing in an extended run of games. This weakness was very soon apparent with Church who barely kicked a ball in anger all the time he was with Argyle. As for Nardiello he had a few more games but whilst he was not in a permanent crocked state, his recovery level and accumulated years soon proved he was not a star signing.

Mar 23, 2008
From his comments i wouldn't be surprised if we did lost out on Caulker, as he mentions losing a player to abroad and we clearly are in the market for a centre back.