Jephcott or Ennis (merged thread x 3) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephcott or Ennis (merged thread x 3)

Mar 21, 2006
One aspect of Jeph’s play that I find a bit irritating is his tendency to fall forward when the ball is played in to his feet looking for a foul (ie that he has been pushed from behind) - he does it pretty routinely and sometimes it works but often it doesn’t - the ref against Accrington was not buying it at all. I’d prefer it if he concentrated on holding it up and laying it off rather than falling over.

Apr 1, 2009
Biggs":wmt66mn4 said:
charlieboy":wmt66mn4 said:
Is Jephcott all what he is cracked up to be as he is the leading goalscorer in our league or is the quality of attackers and defenders not that great.. Some times when I watch him play he reminds me of Jimmy Greaves for those that can remember him who did nothing for 80 minutes and then suddenly he pops up in the 6yard box and hits the winner.

For me, it's like someone has created a Harry Kane mould and put him in it (and no I'm not comparing him to Kane or saying he's as good). It's the same feeling that he doesn't seem great at any one thing, but is always in the right place, always has the right finish, and can also drop back and play a lovely through-ball to Son-Yeu... I mean, Ryan Hardie or Niall Ennis.

Just missing the long-range strikes that Kane can pull off regularly, something to work on next ;)

Yea, love the through balls that Jephcott's played for Ennis! Given that the two haven't played a minute together yet, it's a little presumptive to use the relationship between the two as part of a comparison to Kane. I expect the two to work well together when given the opportunity, but nothing is certain.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I find it mildly amusing that people are suggesting Jepher's isn't quite there as a player. He is after all, the top scorer in our division.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
xmastree":3ulpuush said:
Biggs":3ulpuush said:
For me, it's like someone has created a Harry Kane mould and put him in it (and no I'm not comparing him to Kane or saying he's as good). It's the same feeling that he doesn't seem great at any one thing, but is always in the right place, always has the right finish, and can also drop back and play a lovely through-ball to Son-Yeu... I mean, Ryan Hardie or Niall Ennis.

Just missing the long-range strikes that Kane can pull off regularly, something to work on next ;)

Yea, love the through balls that Jephcott's played for Ennis! Given that the two haven't played a minute together yet, it's a little presumptive to use the relationship between the two as part of a comparison to Kane. I expect the two to work well together when given the opportunity, but nothing is certain.

Fair. It’s not as if there was anything tongue in cheek about that sentence, though...

Georgieboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Mar 17, 2015
xmastree":85jt98ca said:
Football fans are ridiculously fickle. 2 weeks ago Jephcott was the big star,first name on the team sheet, an extra 0 added on to his fantasy value each time he scores. Then he goes 3 games without scoring - three away games, one against Prem opposition - so he's regarded as "not at his best" and there's talk about leaving him out. Suddenly Camara is the player everyone's talking about, with Ennis possibly being the next big thing.

Can't we just enjoy having 3 decent strikers, and having less need to rely on big Frank and little Dom?

Leave it as it is for the moment, with Ennis given cameos off the bench. It's his job to do enough to earn a start.
Well said. When will the next time Lowe out be on the PASOTi roundabout. Or when he is on his way to Bournemouth? :funny:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Just because someone is banging in goals doesn't automatically make them a good player for our team. Anyone who watched us 2 seasons ago would have seen just how awful Ladapo's general play was, despite the fact the scored a hatful. He wasn't the main reason he went down, but his inability to get the midfield into the game meant that we couldn't control games as we wanted to, and that contributed to our relegation.

However, for me, whilst Jephcott may struggle a little (not to the same extent as Freddie though) playing as a lone striker, his general play aside from the goals is plenty good enough too. He can hold off defenders reasonable well, can link play with his back to goal and his movement is very good too to create space for others. He struggles in aerial duals, but I can forgive this weakness when the rest of his game is good.

The old British thing about physicality over technical ability may well contribute to those saying that he's not good enough for the championship. I'd say he is right now - in the right system.

Dec 30, 2011
Biggs":xky7jalg said:
charlieboy":xky7jalg said:
Is Jephcott all what he is cracked up to be as he is the leading goalscorer in our league or is the quality of attackers and defenders not that great.. Some times when I watch him play he reminds me of Jimmy Greaves for those that can remember him who did nothing for 80 minutes and then suddenly he pops up in the 6yard box and hits the winner.

Sorry, but he's not remotely like Kane or Greaves, the greatest ever English goal-scorer. Kane can score from anywhere, hold it up and is a wonderful passer of the ball, hence having the highest assist numbers this season.
Jephcott is however good at taking a high proportion of his chances, although he seems to get suprisingly few of those.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
You just repeated what I said, though. I acknowledged that he hasn't scored from range, but he IS good at holding it up and he DOES look a great passer of the ball when dropping deep (look at the Huddersfield through ball to Hardie).

I said I wasn't comparing him to Kane or saying he was as good... but that he's in the same 'mould' of player as Kane, in that he doesn't immediately appear fantastic at one thing or is hugely quick or skilful. But is incredibly effective and combines being a poacher with the ability to drop deep and pick a pass.

Dec 30, 2020
I think the comparison with Kane is a good one in that LJ is a natural goalscorer but not an instinctively selfish player - he can also link up play and has an eye for a pass.

Bearing in mind he's never going to have the explosive pace of the quickest strikers, I reckon improving his physicality should be his next priority. When he gets the ball with his back to goal, you often see him shaping to roll off his marker and create space to shoot, but he usually lacks the strength to get past them. Hopefully this will come as he gets older - you wouldn't expect a 21 year old without a full season of pro football under their belt to be outmuscling experienced defenders.

If he add a bit of power to his movement and finishing ability, he will be quite a centre forward!

Oct 5, 2013
IJN":14kt40xl said:
I find it mildly amusing that people are suggesting Jepher's isn't quite there as a player. He is after all, the top scorer in our division.

Yes indeed. Maybe it’s because they’ve all played at a higher level and know exactly what they’re talking about....

Sep 6, 2006
There was your answer today. Its not one of the other it's both with the ineffectual Hardie on the bench as we are now stuck with him. What a difference when Ennis replaced him.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Balham_Green":1himhk75 said:
There was your answer today. Its not one of the other it's both with the ineffectual Hardie on the bench as we are now stuck with him. What a difference when Ennis replaced him.

Stuck with him?

May 11, 2019
It’s good to see that some people have moved off Jephcott and identified Hardie as the weak link this week, if we hang around long enough it will turn to Ennis, how about it looks like we have three decent strikers, one of whom is having an exceptional season :thumbup:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I'd start Ennis against Accrington, as harsh as it may seem on Hardie. He scored last week, he set up two today, even though they're no longer here he's showing Nouble and Telford how to make an impact and force your way into contention.

I think we could have a great, healthy battle between Hardie and Ennis over who is the starter and who is the impact sub.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
April 1971":32km532h said:
It’s good to see that some people have moved off Jephcott and identified Hardie as the weak link this week, if we hang around long enough it will turn to Ennis, how about it looks like we have three decent strikers, one of whom is having an exceptional season :thumbup:
That's how I see it. We have 3 good strikers and all 3 should only get better. Jephcott is a goal machine and could well move on to pastures new in the summer netting us a handsome fee plus add ons if he does well at a higher level. Ennis to date in his career has found goals hard to come by but judging by his two brief cameos as a sub looks a great addition who could flourish if he has an injury free run after some setbacks. Hardie I thought got some unwarranted criticism today. He ran his socks off stretching the Pompey defence for 70 minutes which might have helped Ennis when he came on with his fresh legs. I just wish he could instinctively go for goal like Jephers rather than taking an extra touch sometimes.