Just Back | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just Back

Mar 14, 2009
The problem is many fans say they are desperate to get of league 2. I understand this.

Yet, sometimes people only see the results and not the performances.

We could easily seen similar reactions today if Mansfield took their chances. The result masked the performance. All of a sudden Sawyer not being in today’s team makes a significant difference. Yet recent weeks have passed and the defence struggled with him in the side.

If you think about it one song that gets sung explains where we are it. The Wootton song about him “being s****, but now he is alright” is surely pointing to the fact that even with improvement and a lower standard of football he is “alright”. So when you come up against good league two teams and players they (Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer) will get found out.

The problem hasn’t been just today. The problem is teams play a counter attacking style against us and are exploiting our lack of pace. You can’t make these players quicker. So if we carry on playing as we do we going to have to hope we score more than the opposition or the opposition fluffs there chances (which as it’s league two is possible as we have seen in the past and present).

Argyle aren’t doing badly. Lowe has a limited pre-season. He had a number of players he inherited with another year. A number of them this season have had little or no impact.

The side lacks pace and power at both ends of the pitch. Jephcott comes alive inside the box. However, you need someone alongside him to do the “donkey work” and rough up some of these L2 defenders.

I think Lowe has done a great job getting us in a position where we have a chance. If you think what him and his backroom team have done in 6 months and what they can do with a proper pre-season and movement of players in this squad then whether we get promotion or not l think we heading in the right direction.

It’s just simply about patience unfortunately.

Jul 12, 2016
Limited pre season? How much longer does he need?
Lowe has had two transfer windows to address the weakness in defence .

Mar 14, 2009
oldage":6e1w9knj said:

He wasn’t appointed until June. He inherited a defence that leak over 80 goals in league one and had another year on their contracts.

Look who he’s already shipped out. Tarifi Moore, Joe Riley and Ashley Smith-Brown. Look how long it took him to get those three players out of the club. To them get rid of Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer was going to be virtually impossible.

He only has so much money and he must believe that defence is adequate enough to get by for a promotion campaign so he used his resources elsewhere.

If we are still asking these same questions or seeing similar issues this time next season then l think it’s reasonable to have a debate. Only 7-8 months into a new job, playing a total alien style with half a squad that was use to lumping it to Taylor, who was often isolated, is not something you can just wave a magic wand and it’s fixed and perfected in less than a year.

Apr 5, 2008
Get rid of the rest of the defence at the end of the season MGM not till this time next season.

It should have been the first thing RL sorted out when he arrived but he did not and that's why we have such an awful record against the top six or any team with a fast forward line.

It's totally not acceptable and we won't even make the play offs looking at yesterday's garbage performance.

Sep 6, 2006
Anybody thinking yesterday was just a bad day at the office could be in for a rude awakening. Hope Im wrong but to me that puts our prospects in to perspective.They were FAR better than us in every part of the pitch. Keep that up and they will be top 3 but they wont play teams every week who are set up so naively to allow them to play. We have been very average for several games now - Newport Crawley Mansfield. The balance is not right in Midfield only Taylor can hold the ball up in attack and we all know about the defensive shortcomings. Also too many young players and loanees looking lost,Barkinshaw being the best example.Play offs at best.

Feb 4, 2011
cornwall
After the past few weeks the most of us commented how lucky we have been, the failings have been fairly obvious in the defence plainly opposition scouts have seen it and reacted to it

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":bnj2k6pp said:
oldage":bnj2k6pp said:

He wasn’t appointed until June. He inherited a defence that leak over 80 goals in league one and had another year on their contracts.

Look who he’s already shipped out. Tarifi Moore, Joe Riley and Ashley Smith-Brown. Look how long it took him to get those three players out of the club. To them get rid of Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer was going to be virtually impossible.

He only has so much money and he must believe that defence is adequate enough to get by for a promotion campaign so he used his resources elsewhere.

If we are still asking these same questions or seeing similar issues this time next season then l think it’s reasonable to have a debate. Only 7-8 months into a new job, playing a total alien style with half a squad that was use to lumping it to Taylor, who was often isolated, is not something you can just wave a magic wand and it’s fixed and perfected in less than a year.

Normally agree with you but not this time! How can we just capitulate every few games? We would not accept this from DA so why accept it from Lowe? Other teams have sussed out that our left hand side is our weakness yet Lowe has failed to find a solution. We are playing better football but regardless of recent results the truth is we have not been playing like promotion hopefuls.The results of our games in February will show us how good we really are.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
We haven't been playing like promotion hopefuls and yet there we are, just outside the automatics with a game in hand. Doh

Oct 16, 2016
I’ve had a season ticket for a good number of years but I’ve never hated a season quite as much. Yes there have been relegations et al BUT the football is just awful

Apr 5, 2008
Lesley Somerville":1w0yruph said:
We haven't been playing like promotion hopefuls and yet there we are, just outside the automatics with a game in hand. Doh

And carry on playing like we did yesterday and we won’t even make the play offs.Doh :facepalm:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Shankster":34x05dnx said:
I’ve had a season ticket for a good number of years but I’ve never hated a season quite as much. Yes there have been relegations et al BUT the football is just awful

22pts clear at the top and still not happy.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Shankster":3n9pcvsy said:

Surely, surely you’re on a wind up? Because if not that’s the strangest thing I’ve ever read on this site.

Jul 12, 2016
Lesley Somerville":1hk0blto said:
No "doh" about it. If you think we have played like promotion candidates then you are seeing more than I am. I admittedly only see home games but in the most recent ones we have got results despite the football not because of. IMHO we have ridden our luck and sides like Colchester and Swindon could give us footballing lessons. I really hope we will get promoted this season and there is a long way to go but I wouldn't bet on it.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
oldage":2blvh8dl said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2blvh8dl said:
oldage":2blvh8dl said:

Normally agree with you but not this time! How can we just capitulate every few games? We would not accept this from DA so why accept it from Lowe? Other teams have sussed out that our left hand side is our weakness yet Lowe has failed to find a solution. We are playing better football but regardless of recent results the truth is we have not been playing like promotion hopefuls.The results of our games in February will show us how good we really are.

I hope you’re not questioning our fist pumping messiah. He can do no wrong.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Sam Barker":9ruqbbif said:
oldage":9ruqbbif said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":9ruqbbif said:
oldage":9ruqbbif said:

I hope you’re not questioning our fist pumping messiah. He can do no wrong.

So , we lose heavily with a poor performance , some posters overreact and some posters suggest that we are doing ok and one bad result isn't the end of the world , looking at the bigger picture we're 4th with games in hand on most of the teams around us , and you translate that into Ryan Lowe is the Messiah ?