just back | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

just back

Aug 11, 2013
Sawyers looks a red to me because after lunging he turns his head and isn’t looking at the ball. He’s not in control.

The second booking for Sarcevic on the highlights looks a definite yellow too? Not sure he could complain about that one. Didn’t show the first.

People talked about Adams stubbornness costing him .... and Lowe seems to be suffering the same. The pitch was ill suited to our passing style so you adapt to the conditions. Lowe doesn’t adapt and we suffer. We need plan B and C.

First half was as bad as I've seen in a long while. B Moore was really the only one who looked interested. After the changes at the break, it was better, and Hardie deserved his goal, but Bradford deserved the win overall for coping better with the conditions. Palmer probably our MotM as his second half performance kept us in it to allow a competitive game after the bloody awful first 45 minutes.

M

Jan 2, 2019
Sawyer challenge was definitely a red card, cannot lunge like that anymore. He appeared to be out of control as they now call it. Sarce second yellow was right but haven’t seen his first one.

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
I was there today and it was an interesting game to say the least. Sawyer’s red looks worse on the highlights than it did to me on the day. Sarcevic’s second yellow was harsh but the first was for dissent and that’s always unforgivable in my book (don’t get me wrong - I still love the bloke!).

We really were better with ten men and Lowe’s substitutions were very good. Although it was a brief appearance, this was the best (and fittest) I’ve seen Ryan Taylor since that blistering spell in League 1. He gave their giant centre half a lot of trouble. On a pitch like Bradford’s I think Taylor and Hardie are a good pairing and offer something.

The stats show a relatively even game overall. Credit to Bradford, they took their two first half chances but then squandered 4/5 great second half chances to extend the lead. We always looked dangerous down our left through Moore and Hardie but clawed something back too late.

As with Colchester, we need to forget this and move on. Argyle have performed above my expectations overall this season given how bad last season was, how many new players have come in and how big a change Lowe’s playing style has been with players who didn’t cut it in League 1 for the club. We’re in the hunt for the top 3 and the Exeter game is rapidly shaping up to be decisive.

Finally, big credit to the fans today. A great turn out in horrible weather.

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
arrythewurzel":15dua6i4 said:
Sawyers looks a red to me because after lunging he turns his head and isn’t looking at the ball. He’s not in control.

The second booking for Sarcevic on the highlights looks a definite yellow too? Not sure he could complain about that one. Didn’t show the first.

People talked about Adams stubbornness costing him .... and Lowe seems to be suffering the same. The pitch was ill suited to our passing style so you adapt to the conditions. Lowe doesn’t adapt and we suffer. We need plan B and C.

We played a lot more long balls today than I have seen from us - Sawyer and Wootton were hitting a lot into the channels. There was definitely some (not lots of) variation. I also think that the pitch didn’t hamper our passing as much as you would assume. It was very ‘slick’ (at least on the side we were sat on) and didn’t cause as many issues as I thought when I first saw it. This despite it being a bog.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I thought the pitch was set up for playing Hardie from the start. Miss out the tipy tappy stuff & bypass the potato field by playing longer balls to the forwards. Unfortunately, this didn't occur to Lowe until half time.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Further reflections based on yesterday but also Salford and Macclesfield games.

I stick to my view that we started with the wrong team yesterday. The state of the pitch was obvious. It was worse than the surface at Macclesfield where we also played poorly first half and left us chasing a result. With Richards-Everton who is 6ft 4 and Antony O'Connor at CB we were never going to win many aerial battles. The surface meant playing passing football would be difficult so we were trying to play into channels as our only attacking option.

This didn't work and losing a goal to a far post header to Richards-Everton left us chasing a game. As others said the Taylor Hardie combination was far more effective but we were 2 down and had 10 men by then.. Taylor was clever enough to win us some free kicks which got us up the field whereas first half attacks often saw Bradford clear easily or we overplayed passing wise and literally got bogged down. A fault this season, I think, is we have not been decisive enough with passes around opposition penalty area.

RWB - we are still trying to find the best option. I like Edwards but he is presumably following instructions by playing a long way forward leaving Wootton vulnerable to being exposed by pace defensively. Edwards was one of a few who played poorly yesterday. Moore is probably a better option there, although yesterday he played three positions in one game .

Still not convinced by Bakinson as he should be breaking up opposition attacks but game passes him by too much in my opinion so he has little influence. Edwards perhaps could drop in there.

Elsewhere yesterday Mayor and Macfadzean seemed on different wavelengths unusually. Bradford got balls in behind us there 2nd half and we struggled. Mayor moved right side and Moore moved left to improve it. Mayor was, not surprisingly, ineffective yesterday as pitch was never going to suit his style.

Apart from Palmer, the better performances at Valley Parade came from Moore, Sarcevic and Canavan although he blasted over from close range during early second half pressure but he defended resolutely when exposed by Bradford counters after interval. Taylor and Hardie did well. Didn't understand the choice of Telford to replace Bakinson given the conditions.

The second half we did well with 10 to attack Bradford and threaten their goal. Just shame we hadn't a plan to create same threat earlier in game.

The ref - well dreadful. Delayed the game twice when Bradford players were treated off the pitch. Didn't let game flow at all and after half time did nothing as home side happily used normal black arts of delayed corners and set pieces.

Selection for Grimsby will be interesting. We have some holes to fill hoping Josh Grant can start. More importantly we need to start games quicker and impose our style on sides. Yesterday and at Macclesfield the home sides imposed their games on us and then we had to adapt. So after three games without a win and Exeter playing Crewe we need to get back to winning ways.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Frustrating game. Looking at the pitch I would have expected Taylor to start and he was excellent when he came on although to be fair the whole team upped their game.

Fair play to Lowe who clearly told them to go for it second half with 2 up front and massive gaps at the back which Bradford could/should have exploited. Canavan was particularly wasteful for us blasting over from 8 yards out and there were other half chances.

At the time Sawyer's looked red and Sarce looked barely a free kick (second yellow). I imagine the ref wanted to yellow/red him as he got booked in the first place for a verbal volley at him which incensed the ref at the time.

Not Sawyer's favourite ref - almost exactly one year ago he denied us a blatant pen at Sunderland when Sawyer's goal bound shot was properly saved by a defender at one nil.

Aug 11, 2013
cheshiregreen":yun2ivlb said:
Further reflections based on yesterday but also Salford and Macclesfield games.

I stick to my view that we started with the wrong team yesterday. The state of the pitch was obvious. It was worse than the surface at Macclesfield where we also played poorly first half and left us chasing a result. With Richards-Everton who is 6ft 4 and Antony O'Connor at CB we were never going to win many aerial battles. The surface meant playing passing football would be difficult so we were trying to play into channels as our only attacking option.

This didn't work and losing a goal to a far post header to Richards-Everton left us chasing a game. As others said the Taylor Hardie combination was far more effective but we were 2 down and had 10 men by then.. Taylor was clever enough to win us some free kicks which got us up the field whereas first half attacks often saw Bradford clear easily or we overplayed passing wise and literally got bogged down. A fault this season, I think, is we have not been decisive enough with passes around opposition penalty area.

RWB - we are still trying to find the best option. I like Edwards but he is presumably following instructions by playing a long way forward leaving Wootton vulnerable to being exposed by pace defensively. Edwards was one of a few who played poorly yesterday. Moore is probably a better option there, although yesterday he played three positions in one game .

Still not convinced by Bakinson as he should be breaking up opposition attacks but game passes him by too much in my opinion so he has little influence. Edwards perhaps could drop in there.

Elsewhere yesterday Mayor and Macfadzean seemed on different wavelengths unusually. Bradford got balls in behind us there 2nd half and we struggled. Mayor moved right side and Moore moved left to improve it. Mayor was, not surprisingly, ineffective yesterday as pitch was never going to suit his style.

Apart from Palmer, the better performances at Valley Parade came from Moore, Sarcevic and Canavan although he blasted over from close range during early second half pressure but he defended resolutely when exposed by Bradford counters after interval. Taylor and Hardie did well. Didn't understand the choice of Telford to replace Bakinson given the conditions.

The second half we did well with 10 to attack Bradford and threaten their goal. Just shame we hadn't a plan to create same threat earlier in game.

The ref - well dreadful. Delayed the game twice when Bradford players were treated off the pitch. Didn't let game flow at all and after half time did nothing as home side happily used normal black arts of delayed corners and set pieces.

Selection for Grimsby will be interesting. We have some holes to fill hoping Josh Grant can start. More importantly we need to start games quicker and impose our style on sides. Yesterday and at Macclesfield the home sides imposed their games on us and then we had to adapt. So after three games without a win and Exeter playing Crewe we need to get back to winning ways.

Good post and one with which I wholeheartedly agree. When we have pitches that are a quagmire and we are in the middle of the wettest winters ever I’m afraid we have to adapt and play the long ball game with Taylor pivotal. I’m not sure where Edwards fits in this team. I like him but he’s never effective at either wingback or defensive midfield. Moore needs to play wingback - we look more balanced and a threat down both sides. Bakinson started well but has been disappointing of late. Since Joel Grant has been out of the team we’ve been poorer for it.

Can’t say I know our best 11 and I’d be surprised if there’s much consensus which is odd in a promotion scapping team which usually picks itself.

Hoping Lowe is learning something from these defeats.

Aug 4, 2011
WoodfordWall":6pil7ijn said:
Sawyer challenge was definitely a red card, cannot lunge like that anymore. He appeared to be out of control as they now call it. Sarce second yellow was right but haven’t seen his first one.
First was for dissent after Bakinson was unfairly penalised

Jun 24, 2008
After watching the highlights, regardless of the pitch Sawyers was a straight red all day long, studs up and dangerously dived in. Sarces was a agreeable second yellow. Tired challenges. Need to move on and regroup.

What have I learned from yesterday's fiasco ?

Will we ever get out of League 2 as we don't score many goals ?

Will we score enough goals in the future ?

Are we too complacent ?

Are we too complicated ?

When will we NOT leave it until the last minute of the game to record our victory ?

Yesterday's game was over before it began ?

A goal in the 6th minute - a soft goal at that - was our undoing !

Why can't we defend such soft goals ?

The 2nd goal was a worldy - even by the "clown prince" !!

The 2nd half should have seen Bradford out of sight !!

As they were not.was hardly our fault - thanks to Alex Palmer ? - and their poor finishing !!

We had our chances - not many - but were they adequate ?

This is a REAL problem for me.

What changes will I make for Tuesday's match ?

Sawyer 's card is questionable ?

Sarcevic's card was non questionable - 2 yellows were justifiable !

I hope Ryan Lowe does NOT question "another bad day at the office" as this is wearing a little thin ?

Good luck for Tuesday.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Is it me or is this argyle team under Lowe just as “streaky” as the ones under Adams? Seems that we go on a major winning run and then have 3 or 4 games in a row which are naff. Exeter Swindon and Crewe seem much more consistent in picking up points.. Also, Cheltenham are on fire just as we are fizzling our. It’s hard to see automatic promotion now - play offs it is then. Not a happy thought as we’ve only navigated them successfully once in our history !

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
If Swindon, Crewe and Exeter are much more consistent in amassing points how come we have gained ground on them in recent months?