League 1 Next Season | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

League 1 Next Season

Feb 8, 2005
greybeard-kernow":1r16ultk said:
Cobi Budge":1r16ultk said:
Not fussed about Portsmouth/Sunderland, we've taken points off both of them, both are chronic underachievers with a misplaced sense of grandeur. From the play off pack I hope Lincoln or Blackpool go up.

Sheffield Wednesday, Derby and/or Rotherham would all be strong.

Hopefully Morecabe will pip Bolton to automatic promotion on the final day.

As for us, I'd be happy with a top half finish.
and that is why we have never really got anywhere and never will, fans being happy with finishing half way and a board with limited money and ambition, yes happy Hallett and what he has done , but we will always be league 1 or 2 and the odd few years in the championship,60 years for me like this and my old dad of 90 says the same...nothing will change ,bigger crowds than most but no money,, money talks and we will never have enough!

Like you, i have sixty years of watching Argyle with their ups and downs, and never having the money to do any better than getting to the second division (or Championship as it is known these days) and then falling back down again.

Our trips down to the bottom division have only been recent events, in relation to the whole 100 years of existence. The very fact that we nearly went out of the football league and even out of existance was disgusting and should never have been a possibility had the Club been run in a sensible manner.

However, it has taken a long time to recover from that but we are now back where we belong, albeit just escaping the drop this term, after a satisfactory first half of the season, but we are where we are.

That was all we could do with the money that we had. Exciting moments of promotion followed by dismal tears of relegation.

Our profit has always come from the gate money, although there was always profit from the commercial side of the club, but the bulk of the money has come from the attendances that Argyle have had, which also went up and down according to how we did on the pitch.

And if Hallett had not come aboard then that is the most we could have afforded to do - top half of this division and bottom half of the division above, yo-yoing up and down as we have in the past, although it has to be said that the competition has been fiercer than ever, and the leagues have grown stronger all the way down to the bottom leagues and the ability to get promotion from this league has been made far more difficult as bigger, and more financially able clubs have been relegated from the Premiership and then also down to this league, as their finances have had to be restructured from the millions that they were provided for from Sky tv, to a big drop which some clubs have been unable to deal with.

The only way we can break free from our yo-yoing is to improve our income so that we can spend more in order to compete with the bigger, and larger funded, clubs in the league.

Hallett has a plan, actually it's more of a vision. He has introduced big (for Argyle) money into the club in order to improve vastly the infrastructure, and in particular, the grandstand. This money has improved the value of the Club's assets and should allow him to get a return on his money when he finally decides to sell.

In the meantime, these improvements to our grandstand should allow it to be used more than once every two weeks, and will allow him to increase profits, and therefore release some extra money for the manager to increase his budget. If spent wisely, the extra money may well see us being able to compete at a higher level, and the intention is that this money should keep us in the Championship, probably bottom half.

However, should we get a manager who can provide us with a better than expected (with the budget he has been given) return on the playing budget then we could well be in the top half or higher, and then anything is possible. This is not inevitable but it is a possibility. If a manager like Dave Smith,

In the meantime the probability for next season will be consolidation, yet again, with the hope of building the spine of the team for a forthcoming look at attempting a promotion in the very near future.

I say that because the full profits from the grandstand may not be readily available until the season ends, especially as covid is still on the horizon, and may well interfere with the day to day running of the Club, and the full impact of the grandstand may not be realised until the season ends.

However, I am looking forward to next season, knowing full well that with a reasonable transfer window, we should be looking to improve greatly, as well as keeping the best of what we still have, and bringing on a few of our youngsters, if they are up to standard, and am looking forward to a season with great anticipation, but knowing full well that we cannot possibly expect anything better than a higher finishing position at the end of the season, wherever that may be.

Reach for the stars by all means, but be realistic enough to know that the team will take a while to gel, the new incoming will take a while to get the style of play that the manager wants, the young ones will improve but must be given time, and with a fair wind, we could be looking up throughout the season, rather than looking over our shoulder and down towards those below us.

Come on you Greens.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
greybeard-kernow":ze7vrxfq said:
Cobi Budge":ze7vrxfq said:
greybeard-kernow":ze7vrxfq said:
Cobi Budge":ze7vrxfq said:
Not fussed about Portsmouth/Sunderland, we've taken points off both of them, both are chronic underachievers with a misplaced sense of grandeur. From the play off pack I hope Lincoln or Blackpool go up.

and that is why we have never really got anywhere and never will, fans being happy with finishing half way and a board with limited money and ambition, yes happy Hallett and what he has done , but we will always be league 1 or 2 and the odd few years in the championship,60 years for me like this and my old dad of 90 says the same...nothing will change ,bigger crowds than most but no money,, money talks and we will never have enough!

We don’t have a sugar daddy owner, we’re a stable club trying to build sustainably, and as such I think a top half finish next season would be reasonable given our resources and would be a realistic improvement on this season. I don’t really see what’s wrong with that?
nothing wrong with that, im just trying to state that we as football fans of argyle ,are easily content , and have been for years, i will still be there, if i wanted to go watch a team with a sugar daddy and aiming to climb high as they can, i would go watch parkway ! perhaps i worded it wrong , it just seems we are always going to be what we are ,but we can dream cant we !

Personally I’d hope that if we can sort our defence out that we could potentially get into the top 10 and at least give us a little hope to nick that last playoff spot. I honestly don’t see Derby being any stronger than say Peterborough as far as I can see and I’d be hoping that we’d finish above Bolton.

Oct 5, 2013
To me, League 1 today is the equivalent of Tier 2 (the Second Division) in “the old days”, because the Premier League has more or less been superimposed on top of the old league structure.
So I think we’re about at the same level as we always used to be, given that we’ve never been in Tier 1 in our history.
As long as we’re competitive in whatever league we’re in and the football is good to watch, that’ll suit me!

May 16, 2016
Welwyn Pilgrim":1x4lk2yp said:
Dependant on results this week and the Play Offs later in the month then next season could see it loaded with the likes off

Portsmouth
Sunderland
Bolton
Derby
Sheff Wed

Could be a very tough season if our defensive frailties aren’t sorted.

Which is exactly what the supporters of these underachievers will probably say as well. We will all be league 1 Clubs after all.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
jimsing":pkbkxc31 said:
greybeard-kernow":pkbkxc31 said:
Cobi Budge":pkbkxc31 said:

Like you, i have sixty years of watching Argyle with their ups and downs, and never having the money to do any better than getting to the second division (or Championship as it is known these days) and then falling back down again.

Our trips down to the bottom division have only been recent events, in relation to the whole 100 years of existence. The very fact that we nearly went out of the football league and even out of existance was disgusting and should never have been a possibility had the Club been run in a sensible manner.

However, it has taken a long time to recover from that but we are now back where we belong, albeit just escaping the drop this term, after a satisfactory first half of the season, but we are where we are.

That was all we could do with the money that we had. Exciting moments of promotion followed by dismal tears of relegation.

Our profit has always come from the gate money, although there was always profit from the commercial side of the club, but the bulk of the money has come from the attendances that Argyle have had, which also went up and down according to how we did on the pitch.

And if Hallett had not come aboard then that is the most we could have afforded to do - top half of this division and bottom half of the division above, yo-yoing up and down as we have in the past, although it has to be said that the competition has been fiercer than ever, and the leagues have grown stronger all the way down to the bottom leagues and the ability to get promotion from this league has been made far more difficult as bigger, and more financially able clubs have been relegated from the Premiership and then also down to this league, as their finances have had to be restructured from the millions that they were provided for from Sky tv, to a big drop which some clubs have been unable to deal with.

The only way we can break free from our yo-yoing is to improve our income so that we can spend more in order to compete with the bigger, and larger funded, clubs in the league.

Hallett has a plan, actually it's more of a vision. He has introduced big (for Argyle) money into the club in order to improve vastly the infrastructure, and in particular, the grandstand. This money has improved the value of the Club's assets and should allow him to get a return on his money when he finally decides to sell.

In the meantime, these improvements to our grandstand should allow it to be used more than once every two weeks, and will allow him to increase profits, and therefore release some extra money for the manager to increase his budget. If spent wisely, the extra money may well see us being able to compete at a higher level, and the intention is that this money should keep us in the Championship, probably bottom half.

However, should we get a manager who can provide us with a better than expected (with the budget he has been given) return on the playing budget then we could well be in the top half or higher, and then anything is possible. This is not inevitable but it is a possibility. If a manager like Dave Smith,

In the meantime the probability for next season will be consolidation, yet again, with the hope of building the spine of the team for a forthcoming look at attempting a promotion in the very near future.

I say that because the full profits from the grandstand may not be readily available until the season ends, especially as covid is still on the horizon, and may well interfere with the day to day running of the Club, and the full impact of the grandstand may not be realised until the season ends.

However, I am looking forward to next season, knowing full well that with a reasonable transfer window, we should be looking to improve greatly, as well as keeping the best of what we still have, and bringing on a few of our youngsters, if they are up to standard, and am looking forward to a season with great anticipation, but knowing full well that we cannot possibly expect anything better than a higher finishing position at the end of the season, wherever that may be.

Reach for the stars by all means, but be realistic enough to know that the team will take a while to gel, the new incoming will take a while to get the style of play that the manager wants, the young ones will improve but must be given time, and with a fair wind, we could be looking up throughout the season, rather than looking over our shoulder and down towards those below us.

Come on you Greens.

Well said :clap:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
jimsing":33bn8k8o said:
greybeard-kernow":33bn8k8o said:
Cobi Budge":33bn8k8o said:

Come on you Greens.
With all the negative stuff being posted by the serial doom mongers, it is good to read an inspiring and positive post.
Thanks, Jimsing.

Aug 5, 2016
Welwyn Pilgrim":3hqm4vm1 said:
Dependant on results this week and the Play Offs later in the month then next season could see it loaded with the likes off

Portsmouth
Sunderland
Bolton
Derby
Sheff Wed

Well only 3 of them can go up so at least two are bound to be in this division the season after. If they fall into this division it is because they have deserved to with an underperforming team.

Look at Ipswich this season, we should have beaten them in both matches. A bang average League One side.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Knibbsworth":uhjgwa0i said:
Welwyn Pilgrim":uhjgwa0i said:

Portsmouth
Sunderland
Bolton
Derby
Sheff Wed

Well only 3 of them can go up so at least two are bound to be in this division the season after. If they fall into this division it is because they have deserved to with an underperforming team.

Look at Ipswich this season, we should have beaten them in both matches. A bang average League One side.

I don’t see Bolton being a top half L1 team next season myself.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Couple of excellent, very well articulated posts, well said.

I think League One is becoming so competitive because it is almost a “rehabilitation” league for where big clubs restructure and get their act together. Hull, Pompey, Charlton, Sunderland, Blackpool, Wigan and soon perhaps Sheff Wed, Derby? and Bolton? Add to that Ipswich who have been taken over by an ambitious American owner for 40m and it is quite a formidable line up. 10 years ago all would have been in Prem League or higher championship.

Then there are the well run emerging clubs with good young managers like Lincoln, Oxford, Argyle , Mk Dons . The small but well funded/managed Fleetwood and Accrington. There are then the League one journey teams like Gillingham, Shrewsbury, Burton and will be added to by Cheltenham and Cambridge.

All in all a very strong league with most teams getting their act together.

Next season I would be happy with a top half finish, a goals against of around 50 goals, the emergence of a spine of the team to push hard for promotion in the next 2-3 years and one or two emerging youngsters from the academy. Steady progress and keep improving is what we need.

Feb 15, 2005
Of the teams mentioned Derby, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth are all geographically better placed to attract players. This is the continuing issue we have as a club plus historically they all have been in the too division recently. Can we get to the championship? I believe so but not sure we can stay in tier 2.

May 16, 2016
buck197":1oght2t5 said:
Of the teams mentioned Derby, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth are all geographically better placed to attract players. This is the continuing issue we have as a club plus historically they all have been in the too division recently. Can we get to the championship? I believe so but not sure we can stay in tier 2.

A location that could see them all in the same league as us. Location for all but Bolton hasn't made a diddly this season.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Guiri Green":1ecw3o04 said:
buck197":1ecw3o04 said:

A location that could see them all in the same league as us. Location for all but Bolton hasn't made a diddly this season.

Derby: huge club, good ground; high profile manager; bigger budget than us; location; history and still they are tumbling down the table.
Success is partly what you've 'got' but there is a wispy, ghosty smoke to it that you have to grab to win. A certain magic has to take place: manager; playing staff; mood; supporters; luck; confidence. Throw it all in a pot and you might win the league; get the recipe wrong and down you go! :stir:

That is why all our criticisms and 'advice' are pretty worthless really. We're entitled but nobody can guarantee the final dish will be edible!!

fawlty

♣️ PASALB Member
Feb 1, 2012
Some nice, positive posts in this thread. Most noting it will take some time to consolidate and build up the club and the first team.

We want and need the club to be attractive to convince good players, of any age, to come ‘down’ and join us whilst developing the Academy with promising youngsters from the area and beyond.

Ryan Lowe’s stature will help with the former in the short term and some success on the field will help longer term.

It will take a while to grow the Academy in producing professional players who have the skill and know enough about the ‘dark arts’ of the game. I believe they will need periods out on loan to learn the game, including making mistakes, as we have seen with our loanees.

The club is in good hands. Simon, Andrew and all of the others are setting us up very nicely and I believe that Ryan is doing a great job, in truth under very difficult circumstances this year. With Neil’s input I think recruitment will work out ok as we build our team.

Patience will be required by us all. We deserve some good games with a few (sufficient number) wins thrown in.

The sooner we get to see the games the better for the fans, the club and the players. Don’t forget, throughout all the various eras of success, we are the team’s 12th man.

COYGs.

Fawlty

Jul 12, 2016
fawlty":105bid2d said:
Some nice, positive posts in this thread. Most noting it will take some time to consolidate and build up the club and the first team.

We want and need the club to be attractive to convince good players, of any age, to come ‘down’ and join us whilst developing the Academy with promising youngsters from the area and beyond.

Ryan Lowe’s stature will help with the former in the short term and some success on the field will help longer term.

It will take a while to grow the Academy in producing professional players who have the skill and know enough about the ‘dark arts’ of the game. I believe they will need periods out on loan to learn the game, including making mistakes, as we have seen with our loanees.

The club is in good hands. Simon, Andrew and all of the others are setting us up very nicely and I believe that Ryan is doing a great job, in truth under very difficult circumstances this year. With Neil’s input I think recruitment will work out ok as we build our team.

Patience will be required by us all. We deserve some good games with a few (sufficient number) wins thrown in.

The sooner we get to see the games the better for the fans, the club and the players. Don’t forget, throughout all the various eras of success, we are the team’s 12th man.

COYGs.

Fawlty
"Ryan is doing a great job" Are we supporting the same team?