Lincoln v Argyle, It wasn’t a penalty | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lincoln v Argyle, It wasn’t a penalty

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Green Painter":1x72xrad said:
Given the choice between the odd dodgy decision and VAR I'll just take that one and hopefully we'll get one soon to even it out.

I’d take VAR if it were used for the purpose which it was created for, to correct glaringly clear and obvious errors, sadly it’s Premier League form has morphed into something else and something far more intrusive.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":rau3bpwp said:
Well I wouldn't have given it BUT it was a definite penalty. It comes down to one line in the Laws of the Game.

"In the opinion of the referee.... "

They have yet to change it to the opinion of Mike Jones, Ryan Lowe, The Green Army or indeed Lundan Cabbie. Until then we we must take decisions on the chin.
We all know it's a blatant penalty when all that Mr Cabbie can do to defend it is trot out this meaningless line again, don't we :wave:

Really, thank you for this input every time. I really expected the rules to say "the referee's opinion doesn't even matter".

Honestly.

May 8, 2011
Seems like the manager is trying to find external reasons for the defeat, COVID protocols and now a dodgy decision, always thought he had more confidence in his own ability.

There is a one song amongst many that Everton fans sing about Liverpool fans and the manager is beginning to fit it perfectly.

Jun 27, 2019
How are Morecambe getting on? Don't forget to buy your iFollow pass for whoever they're playing tomorrow. You wouldn't want to miss any of that first-half bus-parking.

Feb 8, 2005
HC Green":34kzqcd8 said:
Seems like the manager is trying to find external reasons for the defeat, COVID protocols and now a dodgy decision, always thought he had more confidence in his own ability.

There is a one song amongst many that Everton fans sing about Liverpool fans and the manager is beginning to fit it perfectly.

You sure Plymouth Argyle is the team that you support?

Doesn't sound like it.

Or is it the manager that you don't support?

The one that got us promoted and the one that is doing well in a new league above?

Jul 12, 2016
philevs":1in68oj6 said:
oldage":1in68oj6 said:
edengreen":1in68oj6 said:
Does it matter? Games gone now
We had 3 players out with COViD and had to make changes late on and hot a penalty against us that shouldnt have been given ! We could still have lost 1-0
We got promoted on a calculation we cant expect to get the rub of the green everytime
Can't believe this is still being discussed. Let's turn our attention to the game on Saturday. A bigger concern is playing with a weakened defence again .Wasn't that good before!

Hello Oldage, do you remember when RL arrived he said that his playing style might well lead to conceding a fair few goals, but that the objective was to score more than we concede? For me that is exactly what we’re seeing, so I don’t agree that our defence “isn’t that good” as you put it.
You must be watching different games to me.Our defence is a disaster waiting to happen. Error strewn , slow and inconsistent
There were circumstances which didn't help against Lincoln but our defence at the best of times fail to instill confidence. You may also have noticed our strikeforce is beginning to struggle so RL's style may need changing.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
HC Green":2clf7h4g said:

That really is quite spiteful.
We all understand you were upset that Derek Adams was sacked but you've turned your annoyance onto the next manager with a series of digs that has nothing to do with the thread you post them on.
Your protection of Adams, who let's not forget was sacked 18 months ago, has also morphed into criticism of the club at every opportunity.

At least we know HC stands for Highly Critical.

Jul 24, 2009
PL2 3DQ":hywoxwah said:
HC Green":hywoxwah said:

That really is quite spiteful.
We all understand you were upset that Derek Adams was sacked but you've turned your annoyance onto the next manager with a series of digs that has nothing to do with the thread you post them on.
Your protection of Adams, who let's not forget was sacked 18 months ago, has also morphed into criticism of the club at every opportunity.

At least we know HC stands for Highly Critical.
Agreed, spiteful and frankly bizarre. It does often sound as though HC is more of a fan of Derek Adams than of PAFC. In any case he's employed elsewhere and we've since been promoted, surely time to move on.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
HC Green said:
I am a fan of Lowe, he has been very good for Argyle and I hope he stays for a long time but I have to agree with HC Green on this issue.

Like most Managers in these circumstances, Lowe instinctively blamed the Referee for what was a pretty soft penalty which in his view completely changed the game. Luck plays a big part in football. What if Lincoln had scored from an own goal or a fortunate deflection? Is that an excuse for turning in such an abject performance in the second half?

You have to show character in adversity, especially away from home on a wet Tuesday evening. How you respond to poor Refereeing decisions, in-game injuries, a change of tactics by the opposition Manager, or even going down to 10 men is what sorts out the men from the boys or more accurately, the winners from the losers.

As for the COVID protocols, there isn't a single person in the country who hasn't been confused by the conflicting advice and guidance. Lowe has been allowed to assemble quite a large squad to deal with availibility issues, so his comments don't really fly in my view. Tranmere had a far stronger case than us but they responded positively.

Lowe is deluding himself by trying to blame the Referee because it was obvious as soon as the second half kicked off that the game had changed, with Lincoln on the front foot and taking control.

Once again, we fell away badly in the second half and had no response to Lincoln putting us under more pressure, that's the real issue for Lowe. After the dodgy penalty there was plenty of time for Argyle to re-group, roll their sleeves up and show a positive reaction but we didn't and Lincoln ran out comfortable winners.

Jun 27, 2019
Possibly something to do with the lack of experience in the side. That's where Canavan would have come in handy - he seemed to have a big influence when he came on at Wimbledon.

It's great that Lowe has faith in youth, but the average age of our side on Tuesday was
just 24. That's too green to respond to something like an unjust penalty away from home.

Aug 10, 2006
I am sure when Lincoln come to Home park Appleton will drop 3 (senior) pros and we will get a dodgy penalty.

Oct 5, 2013
demportdave":bljurs3v said:
HC Green":bljurs3v said:
I am a fan of Lowe, he has been very good for Argyle and I hope he stays for a long time but I have to agree with HC Green on this issue.

Like most Managers in these circumstances, Lowe instinctively blamed the Referee for what was a pretty soft penalty which in his view completely changed the game. Luck plays a big part in football. What if Lincoln had scored from an own goal or a fortunate deflection? Is that an excuse for turning in such an abject performance in the second half?

You have to show character in adversity, especially away from home on a wet Tuesday evening. How you respond to poor Refereeing decisions, in-game injuries, a change of tactics by the opposition Manager, or even going down to 10 men is what sorts out the men from the boys or more accurately, the winners from the losers.

As for the COVID protocols, there isn't a single person in the country who hasn't been confused by the conflicting advice and guidance. Lowe has been allowed to assemble quite a large squad to deal with availibility issues, so his comments don't really fly in my view. Tranmere had a far stronger case than us but they responded positively.

Lowe is deluding himself by trying to blame the Referee because it was obvious as soon as the second half kicked off that the game had changed, with Lincoln on the front foot and taking control.

Once again, we fell away badly in the second half and had no response to Lincoln putting us under more pressure, that's the real issue for Lowe. After the dodgy penalty there was plenty of time for Argyle to re-group, roll their sleeves up and show a positive reaction but we didn't and Lincoln ran out comfortable winners.

Combination of a crap day for the team with Grant absent and then Canavan and Wootton not permitted to play at short notice, the concerns about COVID among the rest of the team, and then a crap penalty decision.
I think the manager did the right thing for morale to put the loss down to what has now been confirmed as a bad penalty decision.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
HC Green":3lj0vq5e said:

Nowhere near as bad as Adams blaming algae for a defeat at home to Cambridge, blaming the colour of shirt for Tuesday night home defeats and amongst several others that have probably slipped my mind.