Lincoln v Argyle, It wasn’t a penalty | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lincoln v Argyle, It wasn’t a penalty

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Steve.PAFC2012":39dg0rp3 said:
HC Green":39dg0rp3 said:
Seems like the manager is trying to find external reasons for the defeat, COVID protocols and now a dodgy decision, always thought he had more confidence in his own ability.

There is a one song amongst many that Everton fans sing about Liverpool fans and the manager is beginning to fit it perfectly.
Nowhere near as bad as Adams blaming algae for a defeat at home to Cambridge, blaming the colour of shirt for Tuesday night home defeats and amongst several others that have probably slipped my mind.

'ere you leave the Morecambe McMourinho alone!! :lol:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
HC Green":2m79srk0 said:
Seems like the manager is trying to find external reasons for the defeat, COVID protocols and now a dodgy decision, always thought he had more confidence in his own ability.

There is a one song amongst many that Everton fans sing about Liverpool fans and the manager is beginning to fit it perfectly.

What's odd about your post is that Derek Adams, the manager you think so highly of, was the king of trying to find external reasons to mask his own failings.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
philevs":3hoku65h said:
demportdave":3hoku65h said:
HC Green":3hoku65h said:
I am a fan of Lowe, he has been very good for Argyle and I hope he stays for a long time but I have to agree with HC Green on this issue.

Like most Managers in these circumstances, Lowe instinctively blamed the Referee for what was a pretty soft penalty which in his view completely changed the game. Luck plays a big part in football. What if Lincoln had scored from an own goal or a fortunate deflection? Is that an excuse for turning in such an abject performance in the second half?

You have to show character in adversity, especially away from home on a wet Tuesday evening. How you respond to poor Refereeing decisions, in-game injuries, a change of tactics by the opposition Manager, or even going down to 10 men is what sorts out the men from the boys or more accurately, the winners from the losers.

As for the COVID protocols, there isn't a single person in the country who hasn't been confused by the conflicting advice and guidance. Lowe has been allowed to assemble quite a large squad to deal with availibility issues, so his comments don't really fly in my view. Tranmere had a far stronger case than us but they responded positively.

Lowe is deluding himself by trying to blame the Referee because it was obvious as soon as the second half kicked off that the game had changed, with Lincoln on the front foot and taking control.

Once again, we fell away badly in the second half and had no response to Lincoln putting us under more pressure, that's the real issue for Lowe. After the dodgy penalty there was plenty of time for Argyle to re-group, roll their sleeves up and show a positive reaction but we didn't and Lincoln ran out comfortable winners.

Combination of a crap day for the team with Grant absent and then Canavan and Wootton not permitted to play at short notice, the concerns about COVID among the rest of the team, and then a crap penalty decision.
I think the manager did the right thing for morale to put the loss down to what has now been confirmed as a bad penalty decision.
If we had all these issues at the start of the match, how come we played so well in the first half?

Not for the first time this season away from home, our second half performance was pretty poor.

The penalty was quite early and there was plenty of time to respond but we didn't.

Jul 12, 2016
demportdave":14h4gytn said:
philevs":14h4gytn said:
demportdave":14h4gytn said:
HC Green":14h4gytn said:
I am a fan of Lowe, he has been very good for Argyle and I hope he stays for a long time but I have to agree with HC Green on this issue.

Like most Managers in these circumstances, Lowe instinctively blamed the Referee for what was a pretty soft penalty which in his view completely changed the game. Luck plays a big part in football. What if Lincoln had scored from an own goal or a fortunate deflection? Is that an excuse for turning in such an abject performance in the second half?

You have to show character in adversity, especially away from home on a wet Tuesday evening. How you respond to poor Refereeing decisions, in-game injuries, a change of tactics by the opposition Manager, or even going down to 10 men is what sorts out the men from the boys or more accurately, the winners from the losers.

As for the COVID protocols, there isn't a single person in the country who hasn't been confused by the conflicting advice and guidance. Lowe has been allowed to assemble quite a large squad to deal with availibility issues, so his comments don't really fly in my view. Tranmere had a far stronger case than us but they responded positively.

Lowe is deluding himself by trying to blame the Referee because it was obvious as soon as the second half kicked off that the game had changed, with Lincoln on the front foot and taking control.

Once again, we fell away badly in the second half and had no response to Lincoln putting us under more pressure, that's the real issue for Lowe. After the dodgy penalty there was plenty of time for Argyle to re-group, roll their sleeves up and show a positive reaction but we didn't and Lincoln ran out comfortable winners.

Combination of a crap day for the team with Grant absent and then Canavan and Wootton not permitted to play at short notice, the concerns about COVID among the rest of the team, and then a crap penalty decision.
I think the manager did the right thing for morale to put the loss down to what has now been confirmed as a bad penalty decision.
If we had all these issues at the start of the match, how come we played so well in the first half?

Not for the first time this season away from home, our second half performance was pretty poor.

The penalty was quite early and there was plenty of time to respond but we didn't.
Interesting point. Perhaps it is more to do with new players adapting to the extra travel we have to do and feeling tired?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
We have played 3 away games this season.
We lost a 2-1 lead in the second half at Wimbledon to go 2-4 down. We then showed enough resolve to equalise and draw the game.
We lost 0-1 to Hull but, again, showed a lot of resolve in the second half.
Ok, the second half performance at Lincoln was disappointing but I didn’t think that we gave up and I believe that the players deserved the support of their manager who tried to emphasise that our young, comparatively inexperienced team did not get much luck. That will probably even out over the season.
We have won 2 home games and drawn the other. Hardly relegation form.
RL knows that he will need to field a similar inexperienced team tomorrow.
I don’t get why we want to criticise the manager for his comments made a few minutes after the game finished when his preparation through that day had been disrupted.

Aug 5, 2016
HC Green":113lr6fo said:

Seems perfectly reasonable to be a bit peeved at losing 2 out of your 3 starting CBs, ruining a run up of preparation and training, and having half a day to prepare an alternative back 3 (with a knock on effect affecting other positions).

Meanwhile the two of the 3 players you are having to make do without are perfectly healthy and without symptoms. Just collateral damage of the constantly changing coronvirus protocols which change on a weekly basis and affect different industries and regions in an entirely inconsistent way.

As others have said. Lowe had more reason to moan about this than Adams did over algae on the pitch costing him a result.

I can't think of Lowe blaming an external factor or bad refereeing decision for a bad result since he has been here. So it is interesting that you jump on his back on the first occasion.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
HC Green":vmdwjmwt said:

Do they have any songs about fans who become knobheads when they're not "someone" anymore because the old manager was their mate and the new manager isn't?

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
davie nine":q76i6ozm said:
We have played 3 away games this season.
We lost a 2-1 lead in the second half at Wimbledon to go 2-4 down. We then showed enough resolve to equalise and draw the game.
We lost 0-1 to Hull but, again, showed a lot of resolve in the second half.
Ok, the second half performance at Lincoln was disappointing but I didn’t think that we gave up and I believe that the players deserved the support of their manager who tried to emphasise that our young, comparatively inexperienced team did not get much luck. That will probably even out over the season.
We have won 2 home games and drawn the other. Hardly relegation form.
RL knows that he will need to field a similar inexperienced team tomorrow.
I don’t get why we want to criticise the manager for his comments made a few minutes after the game finished when his preparation through that day had been disrupted.
Davie, not being argumentative but you have conveniently overlooked the shambolic second half performances against less than full strength League 2 sides in Orient and Cheltenham. Don't tell me those games didn't matter as other Argyle fans have tried to. Schumacher in particular was fuming after the Cheltenham game and took the almost unprecedented step of publicly criticising players.

You are being melodramatic even to mention relegation, I dont think anyone believes we are going to be relegated; it is a non-issue.

As for your comment about luck evening itself out over the season, that is one of the most often quoted clichés in football but also one of the most untrue. I firmly believe that you make your own luck in sport through a combination of ability and hard work.

One of the luckiest Argyle teams I can remember was the Promotion team of 2001-02. The reason they were so lucky was because they were such a good team who were so well coached and who worked so hard that the luck, the rub of the green or whatever you want to call it nearly always seemed to go our way.

On the other hand, I have seen Argyle relegated all too often and in each of those seasons there were many games where you would be coming away rueing our 'bad luck' and constantly saying 'if only'. But every relegated team would say the same.

May 16, 2016
Welwyn Pilgrim":1g8o2uji said:
That’s the 4th penalty he has won this season for Lincoln.

Coincidence ?

Imagine the biggest thing he'll return to his parent club with, is the reputation for being a diver.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I would think his parent club, Nottingham Forest, will be wishing they had not sent him out on loan considering their current form in the Championship.
They may also regret letting us have Fornah on loan if stamina is added to his skill levels.

Nov 14, 2014
Ipswich boss not happy! Another call to Ref HQ. -
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/lambert-on ... -1-6899660
“It was dreadful. It’s professional football. That standard is not acceptable. We never lost to Lincoln, we lost to the guy in the middle. I don’t know his name. I just think it was dreadful.” .... Asked if he regretted the words which earned him a late red card, the Blues boss said: “No, because what I said was true. We get criticised for a lot of things, so should they. I’ll be phoning Mike Jones (head of referees) because that was unacceptable. It was the usual from them at the end. An absolute sign of arrogance.”