Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed) | Page 52 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2012
The Muff
Well he got Bury promoted from this league this season so assume hes more qualified than anyone at this point in time to know whats needed.

Whether he can get the players he wants though remains to be seen.

:scarf:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Ave_IT":yzxgkjuv said:
X Isle":yzxgkjuv said:
monkeywrench":yzxgkjuv said:
PL2 3DQ":yzxgkjuv said:
Cobi Budge":yzxgkjuv said:
The Herald are now reporting Lowe is set to quit Bury and join Argyle.

Hope it's true!

They've just copied the Sun story.

Lowe woulld also have to uproot his family from Merseyside but he may be forced to head to Devon for more job security.

I'd rather he wasn't 'forced'.

Poor choice of words.
Erm, no. It would only be a poor choice of words if the Sun were on Argyle's payroll and/or were seeking to play down his keenness not to leave Bury.

As it is they are using a word that reflects the situation as they see it, something several of us have also expressed concern about... namely us being his reluctant second choice backstop.
Their loss and our gain then surely?

Blimey – give the bloke a chance. He’s worked wonders and shown great loyalty to Bury and his family are well settled in the area. So of course he would much prefer they got their act together and he could carry on the work there and not uproot his family. We shouldn’t get all precious about it and feel affronted like some spurned suitor just because that he feels that way. But if the mess at Bury continues then he will have to move on for his own career and his family – albeit reluctantly – but that doesn’t mean he’ll be any less committed to his new challenge does it? To me it shows commitment and loyalty and a desire to finish a job he started. If and when he comes here that characteristic will be just what we want isn’t it? ……. Better that than some ego-driven, media-loving, job-hopping, looking-after-number-one chancer like some I could mention. :whistle:

True. We'll wait for the first interview with our new manager and see what he says.

The attacking style of football that Lowe likes to play is appealing enough.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
PL2 3DQ":1t57as12 said:
Ave_IT":1t57as12 said:
X Isle":1t57as12 said:
monkeywrench":1t57as12 said:
PL2 3DQ":1t57as12 said:
Cobi Budge":1t57as12 said:

Hope it's true!

Lowe woulld also have to uproot his family from Merseyside but he may be forced to head to Devon for more job security.

Poor choice of words.
Erm, no. It would only be a poor choice of words if the Sun were on Argyle's payroll and/or were seeking to play down his keenness not to leave Bury.

As it is they are using a word that reflects the situation as they see it, something several of us have also expressed concern about... namely us being his reluctant second choice backstop.
Their loss and our gain then surely?

Blimey – give the bloke a chance. He’s worked wonders and shown great loyalty to Bury and his family are well settled in the area. So of course he would much prefer they got their act together and he could carry on the work there and not uproot his family. We shouldn’t get all precious about it and feel affronted like some spurned suitor just because that he feels that way. But if the mess at Bury continues then he will have to move on for his own career and his family – albeit reluctantly – but that doesn’t mean he’ll be any less committed to his new challenge does it? To me it shows commitment and loyalty and a desire to finish a job he started. If and when he comes here that characteristic will be just what we want isn’t it? ……. Better that than some ego-driven, media-loving, job-hopping, looking-after-number-one chancer like some I could mention. :whistle:

True. We'll wait for the first interview with our new manager and see what he says.

The attacking style of football that Lowe likes to play is appealing enough.

Not expecting too many searching questions especially with CE away currently.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Given the relative inexperience, and burden from retention seemingly of pedestrians such as Fox Sawyer and Taylor, it'll likely be a midtable transition guaranteed for at least one season won't it, probably a painful one like Sturrock 1.0's first season.

But far rather this guy Lowe, than the likes of Hollow and some others with a feigned hunger of the "unique" challenge.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Gary_Wills":2zfom9mn said:
Given the relative inexperience, and burden from retention seemingly of pedestrians such as Fox Sawyer and Taylor, it'll likely be a midtable transition guaranteed for at least one season won't it, probably a painful one like Sturrock 1.0's first season.

But far rather this guy Lowe, than the likes of Hollow and some others with a feigned hunger of the "unique" challenge.

Lowe had to overhaul Bury's squad following their relegation to League 2, he still took them up at the first attempt.

Jul 29, 2010
monkeywrench":1xz9gmpc said:
X Isle":1xz9gmpc said:
monkeywrench":1xz9gmpc said:
PL2 3DQ":1xz9gmpc said:
Cobi Budge":1xz9gmpc said:

Hope it's true!

Poor choice of words.

It's the journo's words Smiffy. Give the guy (Lowe) a break. Let's see what he has to say IF he's appointed. No one knows the extent of the discussions between Lowe and the board, or what's going on in Lowe's head.
Give me a break too while we're at it.

Of course it's the hack's words, d'ya think I believe for a second Ryan Lowe has said that publicly? It'd be Argyle career suicide before he'd even arrived.

This is bleedin' typical of this site at times like these. When a new manager or player comes in we go from open enquiring minds free to speak as we see things to 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' fawning sycophants.

Well sorry but if I foresee a potential problem I'd be betraying my principles and integrity not to say it just because it might upset someone new.

So I stand by my distinct nonplussedness about us perhaps being Lowe's reluctant second choice option.

And while I'm here, by the same 'no-one knows' logic you don't know that those of us with concerns on this front are wrong either. Ergo, right back atcha.

And if he is appointed he WILL have my support, I have been an advocate of the process throughout the process. I have faith in those completing it.

That is what I did when Derek Adams was appointed despite me believing Nathan Jones was the better way to go (and that's not hindsight). But also like Derek Adams did he's gonna have to impress me. If appointed he'd be a big brave gamble on Argyle's part.

I'll give him a break when he's impressed me with his football team and when a reasonable amount of years have passed without him turning tail and heading due North West.

Until then it's 'go on then son, prove me wrong'.

Jul 29, 2010
cheshiregreen":13s39p1x said:
If it is Lowe let's judge him on his actions. Sure that is usually the view Smiffy would recommend. :thumbup:

Expect some Bury players to follow.
See last post, spot on Cheshire.

Jul 29, 2010
Well I don't know what happened there but while responding to Cobi with the post below the thread 'no longer existed'.

Could this be an example of 'state sponsored 'see no evil' I wonder...

;)

Cobi Budge":160x4nld said:
So you’ll only get off his back after he’s been here for a ‘number of years’ regardless of how well he does?

:banghead:
Oh here we go, so I'm on his back now am I?

Thank you, that is a nailed on case in point for what I just said above, 'see no evil, speak no evil'... oh crumbs, we mustn't appear to be beastly to the new boy.

Borrox to that, I'm simply expressing a genuine and not unreasonable concern, is it wrong to want the Argyle manager to want to be at Argyle above all else?

He would have my support, I said that, I believe in the process. If that constitutes being 'on his back' then I think you've banged your head too hard Cobi.

There are many many shades between black and white. Just because I am not laying palm fronds on the ground and bowing before some kind of messiah figure doth not mean I am against him. Far from it.

Judge me on my standards not your silly binary ones.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Not sure where my post is, went to edit it and now it’s gone. What I’m saying X-Isle is why can’t you give the man a chance when he ticks so many boxes? It seems odd.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I think he (just about) is, to be fair to Smiffy.

Though I may be being slightly pedantic, but I don't think it's realistic to want any manager to be at Argyle 'above all else'.

If Swansea, for example, decide to move for Lowe and he goes there, that's clearly completely understandable. If we restricted the job to people who literally didn't want to be anywhere else then it would have to either be one of us or Paul Wotton.

Ryan Lowe elects to come here when his stock is high, he's interesting lots of clubs and has a hard decision to make, then that's even more a vote of confidence in us. Better that than a desperate has-been who no-one else will touch (not talking about Holloway!).

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
As I said earlier on this or another thread, I’d much rather be used as a stepping stone (not saying that’s definitely what Lowe will do) for a progressive young manager who would deliver success & leave a good set up, than have a dinosaur who would stay for years and years, achieving nothing and bumbling toward an eventual dismissal.

Oct 31, 2015
Cobi Budge":15jgmbw1 said:
Gary_Wills":15jgmbw1 said:

Lowe had to overhaul Bury's squad following their relegation to League 2, he still took them up at the first attempt.

Yea with a big budget for 4th division football. He definitely didn't do it on a shoestring and I suspect he did the retained list himself last Summer. I will back him to the hilt if he joins but he is no Messiah and with the chimps DA left on the books next season needs to be a rebuild and get rid exercise :banghead:

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
X Isle":3gooujwr said:
monkeywrench":3gooujwr said:
X Isle":3gooujwr said:
monkeywrench":3gooujwr said:
PL2 3DQ":3gooujwr said:
Cobi Budge":3gooujwr said:

Hope it's true!

Poor choice of words.

It's the journo's words Smiffy. Give the guy (Lowe) a break. Let's see what he has to say IF he's appointed. No one knows the extent of the discussions between Lowe and the board, or what's going on in Lowe's head.
Give me a break too while we're at it.

Of course it's the hack's words, d'ya think I believe for a second Ryan Lowe has said that publicly? It'd be Argyle career suicide before he'd even arrived.

This is bleedin' typical of this site at times like these. When a new manager or player comes in we go from open enquiring minds free to speak as we see things to 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' fawning sycophants.

Well sorry but if I foresee a potential problem I'd be betraying my principles and integrity not to say it just because it might upset someone new.

So I stand by my distinct nonplussedness about us perhaps being Lowe's reluctant second choice option.

And while I'm here, by the same 'no-one knows' logic you don't know that those of us with concerns on this front are wrong either. Ergo, right back atcha.

And if he is appointed he WILL have my support, I have been an advocate of the process throughout the process. I have faith in those completing it.

That is what I did when Derek Adams was appointed despite me believing Nathan Jones was the better way to go (and that's not hindsight). But also like Derek Adams did he's gonna have to impress me. If appointed he'd be a big brave gamble on Argyle's part.

I'll give him a break when he's impressed me with his football team and when a reasonable amount of years have passed without him turning tail and heading due North West.

Until then it's 'go on then son, prove me wrong'.

Given you a break? Wow, that sounds like I've been giving you grief at every turn. I can't remember the last time I've openly disagreed with you.

You talk a lot of sense there and i mostly agree with you. The point I was trying to make is that you're making judgements on the guy without knowing what has been said and what he's thinking. And yes, we don't know either way.

On 'paper' he ticks all the boxes. It's something to get excited about. For me anyway. And absolutely we judge any manager on what he delivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.