Lowe post Rochdale match comments | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe post Rochdale match comments

Mar 8, 2016
What is worrying Is as fans we all said we’re in trouble in league one with Wootton and Canavan. If we can see it as fans then why can’t a football league manager? ‘Walking in a Wootton wonderland, he use to be sh1te but now he’s.....still poo walking in a wootton wonderland’. When’s Sawyer back?

Jul 7, 2006
Motivation, Motivation and Motivation.
This is a vital part in any team performance and it is managements job to ensure that players are mentally as well as physically prepared for every match. In this respect Lowe appears to have failed.
Also Our defence has been very weak and inconsistent so why does the team still play with 3 at the back cos we just aren't good enough at the present to operate with this system..

Jun 27, 2019
narrowboat":1oi4163l said:
This is a vital part in any team performance and it is managements job to ensure that players are mentally as well as physically prepared for every match. In this respect Lowe appears to have failed.
Also Our defence has been very weak and inconsistent so why does the team still play with 3 at the back cos we just aren't good enough at the present to operate with this system..

We are demonstrably good enough, we proved that by going on a run when we only lost one in six games. The issue is that we have players in the squad who aren't good enough, and several of them played at the same time against Rochdale with inevitable consequences. Fleetwood was, I think, a case of the opposition manager doing his homework on us and his players executing the plan to perfection. That won't happen every week.

We'll need three or four transfer windows before RL has the squad he feels can genuinely compete in this league, it won't happen overnight.

Oct 5, 2013
oldage":19atwdzu said:
Ave_IT":19atwdzu said:
That was really not a great interview. He was clearly upset and frustrated (as he should be) but some things should be kept in the dressing room. You can’t say “we’re all in it together” in one breath then blame the players for not doing what they were told to do in the next and say “the lads who performed out there and made the errors that cost us the game - they have to take full responsibility”. That smacks of throwing players under the bus. You’re the manager Ryan - you set the team up and after a disastrous first half things barely improved. Tell them home truths in private but don’t go venting frustrations at them in public – rather something along the lines “there were individual errors and the lads are very disappointed but that happens sometimes and I know they’ll be desperate to put things right with hard work…blah …blah”

We all loved the enthusiasm and positivity RL brought to the club which at the lower levels get you a long way. We all (mostly) appreciate the ‘style’ he’s trying to bring – the default setting is clearly to attack, and not just with high energy up-and-at-‘em manner but with some intelligence and technique. After DA’s rather downbeat and cautious playing style (admittedly interspersed with some really good performances) that’s a breath of fresh air. For those reasons I and probably most of us still back him to succeed. This patch (hopefully) is something of a blip in a higher league and we would have been happy with this position at this stage at the start of the season. The worry is though that if the positivity and morale drops, to date he hasn’t shown much in the way of tactical nous. We rarely make changes in the game to improve things – if they start bad they tend to stay bad (the Wimbledon game excepted) and sometimes when we start well it tails off as the opposition reacts. The stats show 60% of our goals come in the first half whereas nearly 60% of opposition goals come in the second half – and that includes the Fleetwood & Rochdale drubbings where they were out of sight by half time.

But Hey – as IPA pointed out in his post, RL is still something of a rookie learning the ropes. He’ll make mistakes and as long as he learns from them he could still be a great success – at least he’s trying to play decent attacking football but he does need to think about tactics – match tactics - not just try to apply some philosophical ‘style’ of play with little regard to the players we have and how the opposition set-up to counter it. He also needs to think about what he says in public.
I don't agree. Why pussyfoot around when your players have let us all down.There is no excuse for the debacle last night and if the players can't accept criticism they shouldn't be in the team.
RL must also share the blame and admit he got it wrong.

The reason not to blame a defeat entirely on the players or on any individuals is that it creates division, and that is how managers find their team spirit evaporating. The players looked dispirited on Tuesday. Players definitely perform best when they and management are united in a combined effort. I was surprised by RL’s attitude on Tuesday, sitting on the bench and literally distancing himself from the players, then the interview after.
Personally I think a big factor in our downturn is that RL has been suffering from the absence of a crowd, he says he doesn’t really like it without one, so let’s hope this weekend gives everyone a lift.
I have belief that he can turn things around. And he’s the one who can do so, because in my experience team performance in any field always stems from the management.

Sep 6, 2006
Seems to me Lowe makes decisions based on his emotions rather than logic e.g. taking Camara off after 10 mins. Taking the cb's off on Tuesday. Drop them maybe but we needed more attacking players on in the 2nd half not a new defence. Think he may be losing the plot.

May 8, 2011
WoodsyGreen":1acvxibh said:
narrowboat":1acvxibh said:

We are demonstrably good enough, we proved that by going on a run when we only lost one in six games. The issue is that we have players in the squad who aren't good enough, and several of them played at the same time against Rochdale with inevitable consequences. Fleetwood was, I think, a case of the opposition manager doing his homework on us and his players executing the plan to perfection. That won't happen every week.

We'll need three or four transfer windows before RL has the squad he feels can genuinely compete in this league, it won't happen overnight.

Lowe’s had 3 transfer windows so far, so are you saying he needs another 3 or 4?

Oct 5, 2013
I believe we can get back to playing something like we were, with or without new playing personnel, but think it will need a change of approach from RL if we are to do so. Morale seems to have dropped, and with it the performances. The manager’s primary role is to keep morale, and belief, high among the players, and that didn’t look good on Tuesday, so let’s hope he’s addressed it this week.

Sep 2, 2008
Balham_Green":h3kn1uyn said:
Seems to me Lowe makes decisions based on his emotions rather than logic e.g. taking Camara off after 10 mins. Taking the cb's off on Tuesday. Drop them maybe but we needed more attacking players on in the 2nd half not a new defence. Think he may be losing the plot.

I think he's trying to re-enforce his message about if you don't do as I tell you then I'll take you off/replace you. Thats all well and good but if from the players' being replaced perspective they think he's taking the wrong person off then thats when the rot starts to set in. Going by Aimsons reaction when he was hooked against Fleetwood, it seemed to me that he couldn't do what was expected of him because someone else wasn't doing what they should have been doing. Agree with your point about needing more attacking players. If opposing teams are going to push up on the back 3 then we really need more forward thinking players in the middle of the park to show themselves, turn and drive on through the middle of the park. The more I think about it the more I think I'd like to see Mayor-Reeves-Camara as a middle 3 with Edwards in front of the back 3.

Jun 27, 2019
HC Green":2m4iv5qs said:
WoodsyGreen":2m4iv5qs said:
narrowboat":2m4iv5qs said:

Lowe’s had 3 transfer windows so far, so are you saying he needs another 3 or 4?

I was referring to transfer windows since we've been in League One. Obviously.

Jul 12, 2016
If you believe what we are told, RL and his backroom staff are meticulous in identifying players who will fit into the team before they sign them.If this is the case, based on recent performances, they need to go "back to the drawing board". RL seems to be clueless when it comes to defenders.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
oldage":31iqbq2x said:
If you believe what we are told, RL and his backroom staff are meticulous in identifying players who will fit into the team before they sign thiem.If this is the case, based on recent performances, they need to go "back to the drawing board". RL seems to be clueless when it comes to defenders.

Sorry? Who signed Canavan and Wooton? The two who were most culpable for Rochdale being 3 up inside 30 odd minutes? Wasn't Lowe was it.

We've looked steadier with the Lowe signings at CB, albeit that's not hard.

Sadly he was kind of stuck with those two wasn't he... But he managed to get the best out of them for just over a season.
I think he's just found out they've reached their limit.
Unfortunately in these times it's going to be hard to justify bringing in more central defenders when those two were put on extended contracts by the previous guy. Even after he's gone his legacy lives on eh.

If we can get either of them moved on in January it'd be a result.

I think you need to pick your arguments against Lowe a bit better. You could have a pop at him for not selecting the best centre back pairing. But suggesting the performances of Wooton and Canavan (Adams signings) shows that Lowe can't sign defenders is slightly baffling.

May 8, 2011
up_the_line":2n5g63tn said:
oldage":2n5g63tn said:
If you believe what we are told, RL and his backroom staff are meticulous in identifying players who will fit into the team before they sign thiem.If this is the case, based on recent performances, they need to go "back to the drawing board". RL seems to be clueless when it comes to defenders.

Sorry? Who signed Canavan and Wooton? The two who were most culpable for Rochdale being 3 up inside 30 odd minutes? Wasn't Lowe was it.

Sadly he was kind of stuck with those two wasn't he... But he managed to get the best out of them for just over a season.
Unfortunately in these times it's going to be hard to justify bringing in more central defenders when those two were put on extended contracts by the previous guy. Even after he's gone his legacy lives on eh.

I think you need to pick your arguments against Lowe a bit better. You could have a pop at him for not selecting the best centre back pairing. But suggesting the performances of Wooton and Canavan (Adams signings) shows that Lowe can't sign defenders is slightly baffling.

If it wasn’t Lowe that didn’t release Wootton and Canavan in the retained list this summer but offered them a new contract, who was it?

Sep 6, 2006
HC Green":2spscnu3 said:
up_the_line":2spscnu3 said:
oldage":2spscnu3 said:

If it wasn’t Lowe that didn’t release Wootton and Canavan in the retained list this summer but offered them a new contract, who was it?

He's got you there Uptheline! Still doesn't excuse the signings in the first place.
Along with others that Summer. Tafari Moore
:doh: Worst ever right back. Played regularly at start of that season. How's his career going? Did Adams even watch him first. And that left back. Smith something. That's a whole defence of chumps.

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":245x8gd5 said:
HC Green":245x8gd5 said:
up_the_line":245x8gd5 said:
oldage":245x8gd5 said:

He's got you there Uptheline! Still doesn't excuse the signings in the first place.
:doh: Worst ever right back. Played regularly at start of that season. How's his career going? Did Adams even watch him first. And that left back. Smith something. That's a whole defence of chumps.

My view is that calling any professional player a “chump” or other such insulting term is something that is only done by people who have never played the game at any sort of level, and who have no grasp of what it takes to become a professional footballer, or of just how good these people are at what they do.
Of course some of our players are better than others, but none of them are “chumps”.

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":3dox3b1g said:
Balham_Green":3dox3b1g said:
HC Green":3dox3b1g said:
up_the_line":3dox3b1g said:
oldage":3dox3b1g said:

My view is that calling any professional player a “chump” or other such insulting term is something that is only done by people who have never played the game at any sort of level, and who have no grasp of what it takes to become a professional footballer, or of just how good these people are at what they do.
Of course some of our players are better than others, but none of them are “chumps”.

Yes they are. You don't need to be a professional footballer to see that. Moore could not even take a throw in. Canavon cannot even make sure the ball is out of play or play to the whistle.