Lowe second choice at Portsmouth | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe second choice at Portsmouth

Aug 5, 2016
HC Green":vn8n5392 said:
Knibbsworth":vn8n5392 said:
There was a rumour I heard that Lowe was actually interviewed for the Bristol City job which saw Nigel Pearson appointed.

If true that would have meant that Argyle would have had to have given permission for City to talk to Lowe, that would seem an unlikely thing to have happened unless Lowe has a clause in his contract allowing it.

Perhaps he does? Lowe describes himself as being very ambitious after all.

The reality is Bristol City could afford to pay a fair few hundred k in compensation if they decided Lowe was their man. So if Hallett knew that, Lowe may have interviewed for it with his blessing, knowing if he got the job Argyle stood to make a good bit of money.

I did think if it was true, someone would have got hold of it this end. That is ultimately why I can’t say I truly believe it.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It was also stated by Simon Hallett, I think, that discussions about an extended contract started with Andrew Parkinson around the time that we had suffered six consecutive defeats.

May 22, 2006
Think Lowe was interviewed and became favourite for a while, at Bristol City when Lee Johnson was moved on. Same thing happened with Chris Hughton. They gave the job to Holden to recruit from within. Didn’t work out and the speed with which Pearson was appointed suggested that he was already lined up. Probably a coincidence that Lowe’s contract was extended at a similar time.

Pompey have kept their coach and Crowley also wants his brother on board. Unlikely that Pompey will want to make changes again at the end of the season and Dan has already passed his first test with a win against Ipswich.

Seems to be little or nothing in this story.

Put yourself in RL’s shoes. His first three seasons in management have been excellent, but he’s seen how his club can go mammaries up, and how his second Chairman stood by him during rocky spells. He also sees a set-up at Argyle which is genuinely conducive to continued success, whilst he has the security of a three year contract.

I think even a manager less smart than RL would think long and hard about jumping ship to a club which may be a division higher like PNE, but has a revolving door policy with manager recruitment, as nearly all of them have now. My guess is he’ll be thinking ‘let’s give it another year or two, when I’ll be an even better candidate for that next move’.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
To be fair... Preston are a very well-run club and have only had two managers since 2013. Which is quite incredible for a Championship club.

If I was Lowe, that would be the vacancy that would really tempt me.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Biggs":5qtu8exk said:
To be fair... Preston are a very well-run club and have only had two managers since 2013. Which is quite incredible for a Championship club.

PNE actually haemhorage money at an analrming rate. They are owned by the billionaire, Trevor Hemmings, who just keeps writing off the debt owed to him. I heard upwards of £70M. They are a basket case waiting to happen.

Sep 2, 2008
mervyn":i7l9r6f7 said:
Put yourself in RL’s shoes. His first three seasons in management have been excellent, but he’s seen how his club can go mammaries up, and how his second Chairman stood by him during rocky spells. He also sees a set-up at Argyle which is genuinely conducive to continued success, whilst he has the security of a three year contract.

I think even a manager less smart than RL would think long and hard about jumping ship to a club which may be a division higher like PNE, but has a revolving door policy with manager recruitment, as nearly all of them have now. My guess is he’ll be thinking ‘let’s give it another year or two, when I’ll be an even better candidate for that next move’.

I dont think that at all. I think that if he is offered an opportunity that is closer to his family then he will snap it up in a heartbeat. I reckon one of the reasons why Mr Hallett has signed him up to a relatively long Contract will be so that at least we get a tidy sum if someone comes in for him. Mr Hallett is a businessman and lives in a world of assets and liabilities. Lowe is an asset and Mr Hallett is protecting his investment.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Biggs":267dhxwe said:

BUT The Riddler is there. :thumbup:

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
According to Preston NE's statement

]It is the intention that Frankie McAvoy will take up the position of interim Head Coach and work with Steve Thompson, Mike Pollitt and Paul Gallagher in taking the team for the remaining eight games of the season.[/i]

Ridsdale is quoted as saying
“You look at Brentford who have promoted from within and have done very well. We don’t want a revolution here.

“Frankie will be given the chance to get the job longer-term.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Pottypilgrim":24d90i7q said:
mervyn":24d90i7q said:

I dont think that at all. I think that if he is offered an opportunity that is closer to his family then he will snap it up in a heartbeat. I reckon one of the reasons why Mr Hallett has signed him up to a relatively long Contract will be so that at least we get a tidy sum if someone comes in for him. Mr Hallett is a businessman and lives in a world of assets and liabilities. Lowe is an asset and Mr Hallett is protecting his investment. Its telling for me that Bradford haven't appointed anyone yet... :think:
They've appointed Mark Trueman until the end of the 2021/2022 season

Sep 2, 2008
Steve.PAFC2012":37z1owrh said:
Pottypilgrim":37z1owrh said:
mervyn":37z1owrh said:

I dont think that at all. I think that if he is offered an opportunity that is closer to his family then he will snap it up in a heartbeat. I reckon one of the reasons why Mr Hallett has signed him up to a relatively long Contract will be so that at least we get a tidy sum if someone comes in for him. Mr Hallett is a businessman and lives in a world of assets and liabilities. Lowe is an asset and Mr Hallett is protecting his investment.
They've appointed Mark Trueman until the end of the 2021/2022 season

Cheers. Updated my comment

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Pottypilgrim":262yi0y3 said:
mervyn":262yi0y3 said:

You certainly didn’t think that RL was an asset 2 weeks ago when you were suggesting that a lot of his players are not bothered, don’t want to be here and that RL has no idea how to address the issues.
It sounded more like you thought he was a liability.