Lowe second choice at Portsmouth | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe second choice at Portsmouth

Sep 2, 2008
davie nine":1egqoz9o said:
Pottypilgrim":1egqoz9o said:
mervyn":1egqoz9o said:
Put yourself in RL’s shoes. His first three seasons in management have been excellent, but he’s seen how his club can go mammaries up, and how his second Chairman stood by him during rocky spells. He also sees a set-up at Argyle which is genuinely conducive to continued success, whilst he has the security of a three year contract.

I think even a manager less smart than RL would think long and hard about jumping ship to a club which may be a division higher like PNE, but has a revolving door policy with manager recruitment, as nearly all of them have now. My guess is he’ll be thinking ‘let’s give it another year or two, when I’ll be an even better candidate for that next move’.

I dont think that at all. I think that if he is offered an opportunity that is closer to his family then he will snap it up in a heartbeat. I reckon one of the reasons why Mr Hallett has signed him up to a relatively long Contract will be so that at least we get a tidy sum if someone comes in for him. Mr Hallett is a businessman and lives in a world of assets and liabilities. Lowe is an asset and Mr Hallett is protecting his investment.
You certainly didn’t think that RL was an asset 2 weeks ago when you were suggesting that a lot of his players are not bothered, don’t want to be here and that RL has no idea how to address the issues.
It sounded more like you thought he was a liability.

My thoughts haven't changed and I think you've mis read my post. I'm saying that Mr Hallett sees Lowe as an asset.

Mar 8, 2016
All these rumours are absolute bullsh1t. We’re 16th in league one, prior to Saturday we’d lost 5 on the bounce and defensively are pretty abysmal, hardly a glowing endorsement to be pouched by clubs wanting to chase promotion in their respective leagues. Don’t get me wrong I like Lowe a lot, I think he’s doing a decent enough job and eventually he will go in to bigger things than argyle but now is not his time for that, he needs to raise his stock a bit higher yet.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Pottypilgrim":k7fhd9uu said:
davie nine":k7fhd9uu said:
Pottypilgrim":k7fhd9uu said:
mervyn":k7fhd9uu said:
Put yourself in RL’s shoes. His first three seasons in management have been excellent, but he’s seen how his club can go mammaries up, and how his second Chairman stood by him during rocky spells. He also sees a set-up at Argyle which is genuinely conducive to continued success, whilst he has the security of a three year contract.

I think even a manager less smart than RL would think long and hard about jumping ship to a club which may be a division higher like PNE, but has a revolving door policy with manager recruitment, as nearly all of them have now. My guess is he’ll be thinking ‘let’s give it another year or two, when I’ll be an even better candidate for that next move’.

I dont think that at all. I think that if he is offered an opportunity that is closer to his family then he will snap it up in a heartbeat. I reckon one of the reasons why Mr Hallett has signed him up to a relatively long Contract will be so that at least we get a tidy sum if someone comes in for him. Mr Hallett is a businessman and lives in a world of assets and liabilities. Lowe is an asset and Mr Hallett is protecting his investment.
You certainly didn’t think that RL was an asset 2 weeks ago when you were suggesting that a lot of his players are not bothered, don’t want to be here and that RL has no idea how to address the issues.

My thoughts haven't changed and I think you've mis read my post. I'm saying that Mr Hallett sees Lowe as an asset.
I didn’t misread your post and if your thoughts haven’t changed you obviously didn’t notice the commitment that every single one of the players that RL selected on Saturday put into that game.

Sep 6, 2006
Pottypilgrim":3tv9t6n3 said:
davie nine":3tv9t6n3 said:
Pottypilgrim":3tv9t6n3 said:
mervyn":3tv9t6n3 said:

You said he was an asset yourself. Make up your mind.

Jan 6, 2020
mervyn":1zbno9m0 said:

I'd hardly say Preston have a revolving door policy. Two managers in over 8 years and before Neil the manager was Simon Grayson who left to go to Sunderland for more money (that didn't work out well for him). So in truth only one manager sacked in 8 years.
That said I would very much doubt Preston will be interested in Ryan Lowe. The fact that they recently employed a computer analyst who was previously responsible for recruiting managers and players for Barnsley, tells me they will pick up some obscure German manager.

Green Manc":l83uuv7h said:
mervyn":l83uuv7h said:

I'd hardly say Preston have a revolving door policy. Two managers in over 8 years and before Neil the manager was Simon Grayson who left to go to Sunderland for more money (that didn't work out well for him). So in truth only one manager sacked in 8 years.
That said I would very much doubt Preston will be interested in Ryan Lowe. The fact that they recently employed a computer analyst who was previously responsible for recruiting managers and players for Barnsley, tells me they will pick up some obscure German manager.

You’re right GM. I should have checked my facts before assuming Preston got through as many managers as most Championship clubs. Two in 8 years is a very good record.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Pottypilgrim":ovh1f7c0 said:
mervyn":ovh1f7c0 said:

I think I’m with Mervyn on this. I reckon we tend to underestimate ourselves – clubs like Argyle are few and far between. We’ve got a patient board & owner who are happy to set a budget then not interfere; we may not be rich but we’re solvent and well run; we’re not already punching above our weight so there’s genuine potential here and we’ve got a decent fanbase with no recent history to live up to so even moderate success will look great on a cv. In short, for a profession notoriously fickle and risky we are a great stepping stone for any young manager still learning (as he himself admits) and looking to make his mark. Sure, the manager’s ego when higher profile jobs are dangled in front of his eyes may undermine all that – not to mention geography and family considerations. But if Ryan Lowe wants to still be in football management 10 or 15 years from now his next move is very, very important. Get it wrong and whether it's his fault or not he may never manage again.

Apr 1, 2009
IJN":25ucl3u3 said:
Biggs":25ucl3u3 said:
To be fair... Preston are a very well-run club and have only had two managers since 2013. Which is quite incredible for a Championship club.

If I was Lowe, that would be the vacancy that would really tempt me.

BUT The Riddler is there. :thumbup:

Don't know how Ridsdale always falls on his feet. To be football advisor to a very rich chairman, who is willing to pour unlimited money into a bottomless pit, must be a near perfect job. If the football goes a bit wrong you advise the owner to sack the manager and start again. If it goes right then you reflect in the glory. Isn't it time Ridsdale retired to pursue his hill walking passion? My CV will be on the way to Mr Hemmings when that happens.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Any Pompey, Preston or other Championship club fans reading this: you don't want Lowe. No experience in the Championship. Limited experience and poor record in League One (one and a half seasons, one relegation and one probably lower-mid table finish). Has a long contract so plenty of compo to be paid. You're better off looking elsewhere.

Jan 6, 2020
xmastree":1lmpsrhg said:
IJN":1lmpsrhg said:
Biggs":1lmpsrhg said:
To be fair... Preston are a very well-run club and have only had two managers since 2013. Which is quite incredible for a Championship club.

If I was Lowe, that would be the vacancy that would really tempt me.

BUT The Riddler is there. :thumbup:

Don't know how Ridsdale always falls on his feet. To be football advisor to a very rich chairman, who is willing to pour unlimited money into a bottomless pit, must be a near perfect job. If the football goes a bit wrong you advise the owner to sack the manager and start again. If it goes right then you reflect in the glory. Isn't it time Ridsdale retired to pursue his hill walking passion? My CV will be on the way to Mr Hemmings when that happens.

If you read the Preston forum, most of their fans seem to blame Riddler for the mess they are in and want him to follow Neil through the door. Appears to be playing football manager with the Chairman's cash. Accused of buying players the manager didn't want and the manager then didn't select them. Their record signing has started 4 games in 2 and a half years because Neil never wanted him. The Chairman whose stuck 70 million in to balance the books doesn't appear to escape criticism for failing to reinvest some pretty large incoming transfer fees. Jordan Hugill sold to West Ham for 10 million was replaced by Jayden Stockley from Exeter, whose currently struggling to currently hold down a first team place out on loan at Charlton.

Don't think RL would work with Riddler even if he was wanted

Sep 2, 2008
davie nine":3bk165rf said:
Pottypilgrim":3bk165rf said:
davie nine":3bk165rf said:
Pottypilgrim":3bk165rf said:
mervyn":3bk165rf said:

I didn’t misread your post and if your thoughts haven’t changed you obviously didn’t notice the commitment that every single one of the players that RL selected on Saturday put into that game.

I did notice the commitment but unlike you seem to do, I just dont focus on the one game. Lowe himself has said that the minimum he expects every game is commitment and yet how many times have we heard him say, 'that wasn't a Ryan Lowe performance'. I would say that I'm no different to Lowe in that respect. You're obviously happy with them showing commitment once in a while.

He has needed to do more to motivate his players and perhaps, going by the performance on Saturday, he has finally found what it is that he needs to do. Only time will tell.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Of course, I am not happy with them only showing commitment once in a while.
The only recent game that it appeared to me that they did not show the level of commitment that I expect was Northampton away.
That happens to all teams, occasionally, even the best, and I am sure that most managers have been trying to unravel the causes unsuccessfully for many years.
It is possible that some of our squad who are on the periphery of the team may be concerned about their futures but I would have thought that, if they want to continue their football careers, even if it is elsewhere, their best option is to show commitment when they are given the chance.