Lowe told to cut finances | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe told to cut finances

Mar 29, 2020
5% of journalists tell the truth 95% tell lies.... so make your own mind up on that story.

Aug 16, 2008
Alan Nixon was on the story of RL joining us quite early and stuck with it over the weeks.

He breaks quite a lot of north west stories.

It wouldn’t surprise me that he has a source “close to” RL.

As for the story itself, it’s hardly groundbreaking- more a statement of the bleedin obvious. A story would have been that RL has been told to splash the cash!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":3l0nwhch said:
If you give anybody a rise inconsistency starts to happen.
We are living in a tough world at the moment so if any of the players don't like what they are offered then time for them to move on. Argyle is more important than ANY individual and hopefully the pay freeze can be reviewed when the time is right.

If you are referring to my comment re Jephcott, then I just can’t agree with you. He is probably on way less than half of what say, Taylor has been on, or what Telford is on. This is what management is all about. You have to pay players like Jephcott what he is worth at today's prices. It would be absolutely stupid to let him go, because we want him to stay on £500 a week or whatever paltry sum he is on. He is quite likely to be one of the rare diamonds this club has produced in recent years and eventually, despite the current situation, Argyle will either cash in on him, or he will take us to the championship. Even with a really good pay rise, he would still be on much less than Mayor (quite rightly) and the others still under contract. The old saying, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water applies here. Nobody is saying we should break the bank, but this lad needs to be secured for a decent L1 wage, commensurate with his age, future potential and value to the club.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Devongreenowl":3s4pyq8g said:
oldage":3s4pyq8g said:
We are living in a tough world at the moment so if any of the players don't like what they are offered then time for them to move on. Argyle is more important than ANY individual and hopefully the pay freeze can be reviewed when the time is right.

If you are referring to my comment re Jephcott, then I just can’t agree with you. He is probably on way less than half of what say, Taylor has been on, or what Telford is on. This is what management is all about. You have to pay players like Jephcott what he is worth at today's prices. It would be absolutely stupid to let him go, because we want him to stay on £500 a week or whatever paltry sum he is on. He is quite likely to be one of the rare diamonds this club has produced in recent years and eventually, despite the current situation, Argyle will either cash in on him, or he will take us to the championship. Even with a really good pay rise, he would still be on much less than Mayor (quite rightly) and the others still under contract. The old saying, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water applies here. Nobody is saying we should break the bank, but this lad needs to be secured for a decent L1 wage, commensurate with his age, future potential and value to the club.

Yes but a promotion to a 'higher status' or a new contract is not a pay rise per se. A pay rise is normally someone staying to do the same job but wanting more money so as not to be headhunted away.
As others have said, give Jephcott a new contract on better terms but other players should be happy with the status quo.

Jul 12, 2016
Knibbsworth":2w6o7jkv said:
oldage":2w6o7jkv said:

Are you referring to Jephcott?

He is probably on 1/10th of what some of his teammates are on.

If you want him to move on, he wouldn't struggle to find better terms elsewhere, but why would we want him to do that?
Because we may not be able to afford to pay him any more!!!!

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":nifokv32 said:
oldage":nifokv32 said:

You don't have to agree. It is up to SH to decide what he is worth. You cannot spend money you don't have. We need to cut costs not increase them .

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Pretty sure with the number of players out of contract we could afford to sign Jephcott on better terms. He wouldn't be demanding massive money so could still get a better deal whilst cutting overall costs.

Imagine his improved terms would still be way less than any experienced striker on our books or we could look at.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah, it’s about common sense while retaining some sort of long thinking, I reckon. It wouldn’t make much sense to lose a potential multi-million pound asset, for the sake of a few hundred quid.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":2e5v1j8r said:
Devongreenowl":2e5v1j8r said:
oldage":2e5v1j8r said:

You don't have to agree. It is up to SH to decide what he is worth. You cannot spend money you don't have. We need to cut costs not increase them .

No I don’t. What I do feel fairly sure of though, is that Simon Hallett is not an idiot. Far from it. I’m afraid your view makes you look extremely short sighted. Then again, you never thought Argyle would get promoted. If we released Jephcott, he would be snapped up as quick as you like by a club with just a touch more vision than you appear to have. Fortunately, there is little chance of Hallett cutting off Argyle's collective nose to spite it’s face. SH WILL decide what he’s worth and it will be substantially more than he is currently on, which is what you advocate he stays on. :banghead:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Adam_R":qiqzdrsn said:
Pretty sure with the number of players out of contract we could afford to sign Jephcott on better terms. He wouldn't be demanding massive money so could still get a better deal whilst cutting overall costs.

Imagine his improved terms would still be way less than any experienced striker on our books or we could look at.

Exactly. It’s not about breaking a pay structure. He is due a promotion to first team squad pay scales. Only a completely blinkered fool would say let him go, when he is potentially the best home grown striker we have produced in generations. You couldn’t make it up.

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":2rx5smcf said:
Adam_R":2rx5smcf said:

Exactly. It’s not about breaking a pay structure. He is due a promotion to first team squad pay scales. Only a completely blinkered fool would say let him go, when he is potentially the best home grown striker we have produced in generations. You couldn’t make it up.
If it is me you are referring to as " a completely blinkered fool" you are resorting to type again. You just cannot help your
self. In case it hasn't sunk in yet we might be fighting for survival if this pandemic continues. Jephcott is far from the finished article and although I would not want to see him leave it if we cannot afford him then so be it.It's amazing how some people are more than happy to spend other people's money!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":3jpv9ho2 said:
Devongreenowl":3jpv9ho2 said:
Adam_R":3jpv9ho2 said:

If it is me you are referring to as " a completely blinkered fool" you are resorting to type again. You just cannot help your
self. In case it hasn't sunk in yet we might be fighting for survival if this pandemic continues. Jephcott is far from the finished article and although I would not want to see him leave it if we cannot afford him then so be it.It's amazing how some people are more than happy to spend other people's money!

Yes, I should have just said, completely blinkered.
The trouble is Oldage, you are and always have been, pint glass completely empty. Back in February and early March you were constant in your negative posting about the team, we couldn’t defend, we couldn’t score, we couldn’t tackle, no way we’d get promoted etc etc etc. Here you are now saying that we are fighting for survival. Nowhere in his statement did Simon Hallett say that. He said we were one of the clubs in a stronger position but not invincible.

As for your views on releasing Jephcote if he won’t accept his current pay level in a new contract, they (your views) are an absolute joke. There isn’t a single other poster on here who agrees with you. The lad has done his apprenticeship, come through youth and reserve team football and is now an integral part of the first team squad. If you can’t see that he should be offered more money, then maybe my original description was right. Yeah, let's just give him away to a club who will value him appropriately then. There would be no shortage of takers. As I say, thankfully Hallett is in charge and not you.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Personally, I would have hoped, perhaps naively, that all of this me would lead to a recalibration of the worth of football players and the stupidity of wage structures. I was listening to 606 this week when Robbie Savage was supporting Lyle Taylor in not seeing out his final few games for Charlton because he was being offered a dream contract elsewhere that would see him and his family right. The figure being quoted, real or not, was 15-20 grand a week. That is post COVID when it is unclear whether many clubs will survive. It is unreal that when survival is a real challenge for many clubs, figures like that are even being quoted for a Championship player. Like nothing has changed in the slightest. The football economy is in a complete mess, and yet people are still thinking in those terms for a 30 y/o Championship player. World. Gone. Mad.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
We have waited a long time for the Premier league bubble to burst, it's taken a pandemic to almost certainly pop it.
Of course it won't put football back in its place because too many big clubs have deep pockets and can ride it out, TV will pay stupid money to show 22 men kicking a ball.
In the meantime a lot of other 22 men kicking a ball will lose their jobs, will possibly leave the sport and football clubs similar to ours will go bust.
I've been frustrated reading this board throughout this pandemic because I felt people would realise in the grand scheme of things football just doesn't matter, unfortunately it matters too much above peoples lives for quite a lot on here and that really is sad.
Now you're arguing over whether a young man should get bigger money, some stressing that Argyle are going to die, come on boys and girls let's get a grip, it's football and we all know it will return when it's safe and we know luke will get more money let's just have a little sense of reality.
Things are improving out there, stay safe but keep it real.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Lancastergreen":24q80e7k said:
We have waited a long time for the Premier league bubble to burst, it's taken a pandemic to almost certainly pop it.
Of course it won't put football back in its place because too many big clubs have deep pockets and can ride it out, TV will pay stupid money to show 22 men kicking a ball.
In the meantime a lot of other 22 men kicking a ball will lose their jobs, will possibly leave the sport and football clubs similar to ours will go bust.
I've been frustrated reading this board throughout this pandemic because I felt people would realise in the grand scheme of things football just doesn't matter, unfortunately it matters too much above peoples lives for quite a lot on here and that really is sad.
Now you're arguing over whether a young man should get bigger money, some stressing that Argyle are going to die, come on boys and girls let's get a grip, it's football and we all know it will return when it's safe and we know luke will get more money let's just have a little sense of reality.
Things are improving out there, stay safe but keep it real.

Good post. The only bit I don’t agree with is 'football doesn’t matter'. Yes it does matter. It matters a great deal to possibly millions of people in this country. Just as rugby, theatre, cinema, ballet, opera even bloody shopping matters. These things amongst others are a significant part of our culture and without them life would be pretty empty. Football wouldn’t matter if we were in the middle of a world war where some lunatic was trying to take over the whole of Europe. Football wouldn’t matter if we were fighting a pandemic which was going to destroy the whole human race. The battle against this pandemic is slowly but surely being won, so yes football certainly does matter.

One day we may face a pandemic which cannot be defeated. Then, football won’t matter.

For now, COME ON YOU GREENS :scarf: