Lowe's response... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe's response...

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just watched the extended highlights. What I noticed most was the poor defending especially in the box, where we stood off players and allowed them way too much time and space on the ball. We didn't harry and hassle, in contrast to Colchester who were all over us. This meant that we couldn't play our usual one touch football, and passes were being played straight into danger. RL and his team (he does have a support team around him remember, including some very experienced people like Dewsnip) will have much to reflect on and no one can doubt the importance of Tuesday's game, and Saturday too of course. We do have weaknesses and they have to be taken into account - maybe RL was a bit naive this time but he is young and he will learn, if he wants to be successful. So let's see what Tuesday brings.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
oldage":2b1m63ae said:
demportdave":2b1m63ae said:
I still fully support Lowe despite yesterday's shambolic performance which he was mostly responsible for.

Generally, he had been a much needed breath of fresh air at HP but he got it wrong big time yesterday.

I know he wants to attack and get players going forward, but there are certain games where you have to take a slightly more cautious approach and yesterday was such a day.

With the pace they have in their side, the way that Lowe set Argyle up was exactly what Colchester would have wanted, he played right into their hands.

Football is a squad game, not a team game and he put the wrong team out yesterday.

Lowe is still relatively inexperienced as a Manager and he insists on staying true to his footballing beliefs which is refreshing, but that can also be naive.

Hopefully, he will have learned from yesterday and will realise that there are games where you have to adopt a more pragmatic approach.
Spot on. For what it's worth I would drop Palmer for Cooper in goal on Tuesday,start with Mc Fadzean and bring back Edwards to replace Bakinson.
I know it was a game with poor performances by Argyle players but Pasoti's man of the match - Alex Palmer. Chris Errington's man of the match - Alex Palmer. Did you actually watch the game Oldage? Or just going by the fact we conceded 3 goals?

IPA

Aug 26, 2012
The 'real' capital of Devon
I read Lowe's response and didn't see anything even remotely worrying.

Two things to remember here to keep things in perspective.

1. Lowe is still very much a rookie manager and learning his trade.
2. He inherited a pretty poor squad from Adams - especially at the back, which he is addressing bit by bit with the limited finances available to him.

We're playing the best football we've played for many years and it's very much still a work in progress. His charisma and attitude is a breath of fresh air, particularly after having to endure 4 years of DA.

So far he's been a big success both on and off the pitch so give the lad a chance please. :scarf:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We do struggle when the opposition has pace up front, close down and harrass us. Our left side has been a target from opposition teams all season and especially more so yesterday.
It would have been a difficult decision to drop Cooper who has been providing a lot of goals for others but with no Sawyer behind him it was a big issue in the game.
The mistake was Lowe not reacting to Colchester targeting our left side early in the game.
Lowe has said all season he won't change his football philosophy, most times it's entertaining and attacking and has won many games but yesterday being tactically rigid in the first 45 minutes cost us the game.

We haven't lost back to back league games all season so a good result is expected at Salford.

Bury won at Colchester last season with the 'Bury 5' all playing although Colchester didn't have Harriott playing.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":yfphnjty said:
We do struggle when the opposition has pace up front, close down and harrass us. Our left side has been a target from opposition teams all season and especially more so yesterday.
It would have been a difficult decision to drop Cooper who has been providing a lot of goals for others but with no Sawyer behind him it was a big issue in the game.
The mistake was Lowe not reacting to Colchester targeting our left side early in the game.
Lowe has said all season he won't change his football philosophy, most times it's entertaining and attacking and has won many games but yesterday being tactically rigid in the first 45 minutes cost us the game.

We haven't lost back to back league games all season so a good result is expected at Salford.

Bury won at Colchester last season with the 'Bury 5' all playing although Colchester didn't have Harriott playing.

You have often mentioned the Bury 5 Postie , it might be fair to point out that Ryan Lowe signed 4 of those players for Bury , perhaps they could be the RL 4 .

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":2vmtd7ob said:
up_the_line":2vmtd7ob said:
He's had to allow Cooper to continue up to this point at LWB because he's justified his inclusion with his assists and McFadzean has been unfit. He has also had Sawyer to bail him out, but in recent weeks his performances have nose-dived spectacularly and yesterday will have been the last straw, particularly with the petulant booking being the icing on the cake.
The damage had been done by HT and perhaps McFadzean is not yet at 100%, but I would be shocked to see Cooper at LWB again. Errington's piece in the herald summarises what we've all been seeing (apart from a select group in block 14 who see Cooper as some sort of spray-tanned Jesus). The lad may well just be what we need, just higher up the park where he isn't causing gaping holes in the defence and giving the left centre half a headache

Its horses for courses. Perhaps play Cooper at home v lesser opposition but not away from home when we are going to come under the cosh against a good side. Incredibly naive management.

'Incredibly naive' despite Cooper being in superb form and an essential element of our surge into the automatic promotion chasing pack.

I don't recall you pointing out Cooper's obvious inadequacies before this match.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Balham_Green":3ojtfigk said:
Is a bit worrying to me. He talks about 3 bad goals conceded as if that was all that was wrong. They could have easily scored 5 or 6 in the first half alone! The system was wrong, players were played out of position and some shouldnt have been playing at all e.g. Jephcott. Does he see that? Would have more respect for him if he accepted some responsibility. He talks about doing his research on teams. Did he not realize they have quality out wide and if we set up to let them play we would struggle?

Drop Jephcott after the month he has just had, plus the national player of the month award?
Yes that would have done wonders for his confidence!

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Just watched the "highlights" & we seem to be back to schoolboy defending.

Presumably there wasn't a single defender with a bit of pace available in the January window.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
David_Fisher":1bibze7s said:

Presumably there wasn't a single defender with a bit of pace available in the January window.

Maybe our manager missed the pacy central defender aisle at the supermarket David , otherwise he would surely have thrown a couple in his trolley , might have even got a BOGOF deal .

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
DartingtonPilgrim":svtsjcdz said:
David_Fisher":svtsjcdz said:

Maybe our manager missed the pacy central defender aisle at the supermarket David , otherwise he would surely have thrown a couple in his trolley , might have even got a BOGOF deal .

We seem to have "put all our eggs in the one basket" with the signing of Mayor who has pretty much failed to deliver.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He’ll know we weren’t good enough but he won’t want to berate his players publicly considering how excellent our form has been. Blips happen, we’re playing an attacking, exciting brand of football, perhaps with a few players who don’t quite suit it or haven’t yet fully adapted to it, meaning there are going to be days when we aren’t at 100%, but I wouldn’t have it any other way, enjoying this season massively.

Sep 6, 2006
Emu":3ihh13ey said:
Balham_Green":3ihh13ey said:
Is a bit worrying to me. He talks about 3 bad goals conceded as if that was all that was wrong. They could have easily scored 5 or 6 in the first half alone! The system was wrong, players were played out of position and some shouldnt have been playing at all e.g. Jephcott. Does he see that? Would have more respect for him if he accepted some responsibility. He talks about doing his research on teams. Did he not realize they have quality out wide and if we set up to let them play we would struggle?

Drop Jephcott after the month he has just had, plus the national player of the month award?

He's already dropped him for the Crawley game in case you didnt notice!

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
David_Fisher":xgwltr3n said:
DartingtonPilgrim":xgwltr3n said:
David_Fisher":xgwltr3n said:

We seem to have "put all our eggs in the one basket" with the signing of Mayor who has pretty much failed to deliver.

Maybe he has , however he's done a pretty good job on assembling his squad to date and we can only hope that by the time next season starts ( hopefully in League One ) there will be better defensive options at the club .

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1kzp6rlf said:
Balham_Green":1kzp6rlf said:
up_the_line":1kzp6rlf said:
He's had to allow Cooper to continue up to this point at LWB because he's justified his inclusion with his assists and McFadzean has been unfit. He has also had Sawyer to bail him out, but in recent weeks his performances have nose-dived spectacularly and yesterday will have been the last straw, particularly with the petulant booking being the icing on the cake.
The damage had been done by HT and perhaps McFadzean is not yet at 100%, but I would be shocked to see Cooper at LWB again. Errington's piece in the herald summarises what we've all been seeing (apart from a select group in block 14 who see Cooper as some sort of spray-tanned Jesus). The lad may well just be what we need, just higher up the park where he isn't causing gaping holes in the defence and giving the left centre half a headache

Its horses for courses. Perhaps play Cooper at home v lesser opposition but not away from home when we are going to come under the cosh against a good side. Incredibly naive management.

'Incredibly naive' despite Cooper being in superb form and an essential element of our surge into the automatic promotion chasing pack.

I don't recall you pointing out Cooper's obvious inadequacies before this match.

Ok. I should qualify that. I would play Cooper actually but not in a defensive position. Thats the naivete.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Balham_Green":1zz59qnp said:
Emu":1zz59qnp said:
Balham_Green":1zz59qnp said:

He's already dropped him for the Crawley game in case you didnt notice!

Depends on your definition of dropped/rested I suppose.