Lucky people..Brizzle has a screen for WC | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lucky people..Brizzle has a screen for WC

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
mike_gss":39l8zu3s said:
Andrew Owen":39l8zu3s said:
mrrapson":39l8zu3s said:
PCC have refused to allow the big screen to be used for Footy on police advice. They are however showing wimbleon. A complete disgrace in my opinion. The majority would behave well. I am suprised the club haven't come up with something to be honest.

This from a city that wants to host world cup matches. What a brilliant endorsement of the people of Plymouth.

The other message it gives out is that the police cannot cope with the security to organise a big screen to show one footy match beamed in from SA. How on earth are they going to cope regarding security with Plymouth being an actual venue?

I would suspect Mike that in that eventuality they would hire in Police from surrounding forces. Avon and Somerset mounted section for a start on match days at HP.

O

oggyale

The Doctor":1uh5zaiu said:
crickeypafc":1uh5zaiu said:
Well this is what happens under a tory council they show the middle class sport in tennis and screw the working class and something people will actually turn up and watch

tennis and Wimbledon can shove there pimms and strawberrys up there middle class asses

Surely there's nothing stopping you from turning up and watching the tennis in exactly the same way, and with exactly the same refreshments, as you would if you were watching a World Cup match on the big screen. Or will PCC be forcing everyone who watches the tennis to eat strawberries and drink Pimms?

I have sat and watched the tennis via the giant screen in Town,it was surreal. I think one stall was selling real ale. Did not see any drunken tennis fans on the rampage though. :)

B

bristol-green-blood

Have just come through Queens Square and they have organised it really well. Just a thought but historically there have been riots in Queens Square many many moons ago - wonder if history will repeat itself when England lose a penalty shoot out and the good yobs of Brizzle go on the rampage!!!

B

bristol-green-blood

Have just come back from watching Fr v Ur - at least the crowd in Brizzle gave Henry the verbals when he came on to the pitch. As for tomorrow they reckon they can accommodate 11,000 in front of the big screen.

O

oggyale

D & C Police have now stated that they did not have a problem with games being shown on the Giant screen in Town,twas other peeps that had the problem with it..

They said it would have been good practice for 2018 etc. Let's hope they show the 2012 EURO Championship Finals instead,with England hopefully taking part of course...

B

Buddy & Muff

Andrew Owen":35rt1dth said:
mrrapson":35rt1dth said:
PCC have refused to allow the big screen to be used for Footy on police advice. They are however showing wimbleon. A complete disgrace in my opinion. The majority would behave well. I am suprised the club haven't come up with something to be honest.

This from a city that wants to host world cup matches. What a brilliant endorsement of the people of Plymouth.

Couldn't agree more. :iagree:

Peter Jones

R.I.P
Mar 4, 2004
It seems to me that putting on mini-fanfests for 2010 matches - on the Hoe, perhaps - would have been a brilliant way of promoting the city, as part of the FA's bid.

Conversely, not showing the games on big screens would imply a lack of appetite. Especially with Bristol making the effort.

And if the reported police reservations about their ability to keep order are true...well, what's going to be different in 2018?

A bit of an own goal, I reckon..

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
Peter_Jones":2el6pcst said:
It seems to me that putting on mini-fanfests for 2010 matches - on the Hoe, perhaps - would have been a brilliant way of promoting the city, as part of the FA's bid.

Conversely, not showing the games on big screens would imply a lack of appetite. Especially with Bristol making the effort.

And if the reported police reservations about their ability to keep order are true...well, what's going to be different in 2018?

A bit of an own goal, I reckon..

:iagree:

May 22, 2006
wbf":2wocj5od said:
Why not watch the games at home? Quite easy really. If you find the need for company, just go to the pub!!! Stop moaning for God's sake!!!

Yeah, you don't quite get it do you?

Read the thread again (particularly PJ's reply) and tell us when the penny drops.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Andrew Owen":1e8qq658 said:
wbf":1e8qq658 said:
Why not watch the games at home? Quite easy really. If you find the need for company, just go to the pub!!! Stop moaning for God's sake!!!

Yeah, you don't quite get it do you?

Read the thread again (particularly PJ's reply) and tell us when the penny drops.

Besdies the fan site, which attracted a full house of 11k it also attractted considerably more who were locked out and tried to bring the security fencing down.

On the wider point, all around the City Centre are flags from every lamp post asking Bristol to back the bid supplemented by posters, although not as many now as before the short list was announced. There does seem to be a buzz in the City, even many of my Rovers friends support the bid even though its City who seem to have most to gain.

O

oggyale

There was a little bit in the Western Morning News today about the screen not showing the games in Plymouth.

It stated that 'you would have thought Plymouth would have used that opportunity to underline its crudentials,by demonstrating the City's passion for football',as Plymouth's bid hyped fan-zones/fests etc.

P

pilgrimpilot

Apparently this police thing is a bit of an urban myth which is frustrating some of the bid team. It was agreed that only a handful of the host cites would trial the big screens and we aren't one of them - along with the likes of liverpool and birmingham.

The fifa licensing requires big rights payments and big policing which has got a big cost. If Plymouth wanted to do it outside of the trial, it would fall on council tax payers because only certain sponsors are allowed for fifa showings.

I got that from phoning a bid bloke, so why cant reporters do the same? Strikes me that the only damage to the bid is coming from published rumours stiring stuff up. Shame.

Peter Jones

R.I.P
Mar 4, 2004
pilgrimpilot":19je4qe3 said:
Apparently this police thing is a bit of an urban myth which is frustrating some of the bid team. It was agreed that only a handful of the host cites would trial the big screens and we aren't one of them - along with the likes of liverpool and birmingham.

The fifa licensing requires big rights payments and big policing which has got a big cost. If Plymouth wanted to do it outside of the trial, it would fall on council tax payers because only certain sponsors are allowed for fifa showings.

I got that from phoning a bid bloke, so why cant reporters do the same? Strikes me that the only damage to the bid is coming from published rumours stiring stuff up. Shame.

Well that's as maybe. But I'd have thought that a big effort was required to win the Bid. If that demands big investment, then invest big.

And that is exactly what Bristol has done. Their "fanfest" is a result of an intitiative between VisitBristol, the Council, and Hyundai.

Proper strategic joined-up thinking, and an appreciation you can't do everything on the cheap. All credit to Bristol. Surely a big tick for them when it comes down to the final analysis.

And there are others. Dover, Leeds, Leicester and Manchester are all showing key games on big outdoor screens, plus Swansea and Edinburgh, plus a number in various London boroughs.