maclean to leave next week | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

maclean to leave next week

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
green grandad":3lrrlarx said:
Good news all round.A quality player who never wanted to lpay for argyle.

He hasn't been a quality player for about 6 years. I always wondered why we thought 500k for a player on a 20 game dry streak was a good idea. :?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
His past record shows that he is a quality player. The performances he has put in under Reid (a manager who can get his team to play proper football) shows that. It must go deeper than "he was dropped because he wasn't playing well enough" because that is b*llocks.

Best of luck Steve if this rumour is true, good luck at Oxford.

:cry:

Oct 28, 2004
If my memory is correct, Sturrock knew Steve from previous clubs and thought he could get the best out of him. At the time there were people on PASOTI stating we should speculate to accumulate.

We just have to be more careful with the transfer kitty in the future.

Nov 23, 2009
Madras
Dellard":3cbgrcw4 said:
His past record shows that he is a quality player. The performances he has put in under Reid (a manager who can get his team to play proper football) shows that. It must go deeper than "he was dropped because he wasn't playing well enough" because that is b*llocks.

Best of luck Steve if this rumour is true, good luck at Oxford.

:cry:

Hmm. If his record is so good and his performances under Reid so impressive then i'm suprised that a bigger club than Oxford Utd didn't snap him up.

Odd don't you think?

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Good riddance if true.

In terms of attitude, application and finances, our worst ever signing by some distance.

No good luck message from me.

L

lostinleeds

pilgrim_mike":2vzghvvx said:
a close friend of steve's who i know in plymouth, has said that maclean is ready to leave argyle for oxford with the clubs about to agree to a £100,000 transfer.

steve currently on £7,000 doesnt want to play for argyle again and will even drop his wage to around 2,000 to 2,500 for oxford next week.

im only going on what he says but this could be the best deal argyle and maclean could do for him and his family and future.

Is he really on 7K a week? I though it was 5k (that what Mark McGee said when he was trying to sign him for Aberdeen - the wages were too high for them).

It's good news if he does go but I'd be surprised if Oxford can afford 2+k a week.

Jul 5, 2008
Plymuff, innit!
Truly awful for us - contributed absolutely nothing.

Suppose the writing was on the wall when a player who had such a good record taking penalties, missed his first (?) one for us.

Feb 2, 2007
Oxford can afford it- well run club ATM with 7000 odd average attendance and wembley play off win. I'm dubious whether they need Maclean though as Craddock and midson are similar type strikers.

Mar 9, 2009
Typical of a certain type of player - Knart Beyharzed to make much effort until the contract is about to run out. Needs to impress another club becauze he has been found out at yet another club.

Aug 20, 2009
Knart Beyharzed":17fxl3gt said:
Typical of a certain type of player - Knart Beyharzed to make much effort until the contract is about to run out. Needs to impress another club becauze he has been found out at yet another club.

You could be talking about several players there Knart

Jul 21, 2004
esmer":12fe4njw said:
mark199":12fe4njw said:
Wonderful news if true just a pity it's taken so long and cost us about One and a half million quid.

His final stats after being at the club for 3 years read 44 appearances (14 as sub) scoring only 5 goals.

One of the worst signings in Argyle history.
Those stats are prove that his talents were never properly used here, for me he is a very good footballer whose qualities were not in sync with the style of football played during his time here. I've never understood fans who criticize him and then claim to hate hoofball.

The guys only had 2 good season's in his entire career and both were in the bottom 2 divisions of English football.

He's had 3 attempts at suceeding in the Championship and failed with 3 different clubs so I can't see how he can in any way be classified as a quality player.

The guy also showed a distinct lack of effort and determination for us and remember was criticised by Reid for not working hard enough pre season and Mark McGhee also had a pop at him for lack of effort when he was on loan at Aberdeen.

Playing for Oxford in League 2 is clearly Macleans level and I personally doubt whether he'll be up to much even in this division.

Oct 24, 2010
penzancepirate":1ipzlx81 said:
esmer":1ipzlx81 said:
Those stats are prove that his talents were never properly used here, for me he is a very good footballer whose qualities were not in sync with the style of football played during his time here. I've never understood fans who criticize him and then claim to hate hoofball.

I haven't seen any evidence of that while he's been here and nor have 3 managers in the end. Just because someone tries to play the 'thinking game', doesn't mean they're a Steve McCall and good at it. Maclean wasn't, and for him to sit there carping and complaining that he should be given the midfield general role is just fancilful. If we have got 100k and got him off our books, I can't think we could have done better ... that would be a surprisingly good deal. Oxford taking him would prove the point about Maclean's level these days. Obviously the player is desperate to find a game and any wage now his high rolling days are coming to an end.... probably told them what a great midfielder he was.
He's a footballer, has the ability to find space, control the ball and pass it. Qualities we've been sadly lacking over the past couple of years.

Jun 28, 2006
Salisbury
Marlin":15ba2rje said:
Green Goblin":15ba2rje said:
It seems that Steve cares about his career. Less money now but in the long run, it will still be worthwhile for him.

In the best of intentions, I wish him good luck. I just hope that this is true.

He certainly spent a long time on good money before deciding to "care" about his career. He cares about himself, no more, no less.

I think the evidence suggests he cares about his family more than his own career.

G

Green Goblin

It' s hardly surprising if Steve tries to find a new club now. Better to try to get a contract now with Oxford than perhaps none at all this summer.

He may even have plans to impress in Oxford to be able to find a club next season?

I wish him well although he hasn't given me any joy during his time with us.