Martyn Starnes to leave Argyle (joins Bristol Rovers) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Martyn Starnes to leave Argyle (joins Bristol Rovers)

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Fair enough, except, what if we were both in the play offs. While Martyn may have nothing to do with the on field activities, surely there is a conflict of interest. Could our grandstand budget stretch to include a Chinese Wall?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Keepitgreen":xcqvlqxv said:
Green_Flash":xcqvlqxv said:
you don't always want people in senior roles working notice period when they have no future at the organisation - best thing is to waive the notice period and let him start at Rovers straight away
We've yet to appoint a replacement. You wouldn't let the captain of a ship leave without his relief being on board for a proper handover.

Bob Starnes is going to our nearest rivals in this league, he most probably knows more about the football club including JB than any one else, he most probably knows of the players Adams is interested, the club is at a crucial stage, we don't want our rivals to know anymore information, Starnes loyalty is now Bristol Rovers it would not be in the clubs interest to keep him on, I understand your point regards a proper handover but in this case it has got to or should be go now.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
dunlop":35b0hnsq said:
Keepitgreen":35b0hnsq said:
Green_Flash":35b0hnsq said:
you don't always want people in senior roles working notice period when they have no future at the organisation - best thing is to waive the notice period and let him start at Rovers straight away
We've yet to appoint a replacement. You wouldn't let the captain of a ship leave without his relief being on board for a proper handover.

Bob Starnes is going to our nearest rivals in this league, he most probably knows more about the football club including JB than any one else, he most probably knows of the players Adams is interested, the club is at a crucial stage, we don't want our rivals to know anymore information, Starnes loyalty is now Bristol Rovers it would not be in the clubs interest to keep him on, I understand your point regards a proper handover but in this case it has got to or should be go now.

Totally agree Dunlop.he will know all the players contract details and what players Derek may be interested in signing which would be of great interest to Rovers.When I was working and a colleague resigned to join a competitor they were immiediately put on gardening leave.No ill feeling just standard business practice to protect my employer

May 16, 2016
Gardening leave or not, he will still have a lot of information that 'might' be useful to his future employers. I'm sure any juicy stuff would be lodged in his brain.

The Club will decide what's best and have to rely on professional discretion and trust. I've left jobs and had to sign to say I would 'forget' what I knew. Lets hope he does too.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Going to BR certainly gives pause for thought, he is only an employee and his loyalty must at best be split and at worst wholly with BR. A potentially damaging situation, intellectual property is difficult to quantify.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Chancellor":j7maxg2m said:
Pettgreen":j7maxg2m said:
Chancellor":j7maxg2m said:
dunlop":j7maxg2m said:
Can't believe he his still going to work out his notice period.

After seeing the announcement of the 2 new directors it s vitality important this post is filled by a football person.

Surely he has to go on gardening leave now?

Why does he have to go on gardening leave? Has he been dismissed? If not then he works his notice period. I just see this as a professional way of things.
The few times I have dealt with MS he has been polite, jovial and forthright in all his answers and solutions. I wish him all the best in his new role.

Why? Because he is in a position with access to highly sensitive information, including player contracts etc.

Certainly not suggesting he is unscrupulous in any way but lets face it, he is going to a direct competitor. If he went on gardening leave he would no longer have that access and that sensitive information is highly likely to change over the next 3 1/2 months. If he stays he can still access that information up until the minute he leaves.

He will already know most of the goings on at the club and will be privy to any sensitive information like player contracts that were signed whilst he was here, there is no changing that.

I am of the view that the club can and will be perfectly sensible. An outgoing CEO need not be involved in sensitive negotiations that impact beyond his tenure because he won't be here to deal with the consequences anyway. As others have said though our best chance of a clean appointment is if he is still around to conduct a proper handover, for that he needs to be in and around the less sensitive goings on in the interim and still be on good terms with the club when the new CEO arrives, neither can be achieved if we just stick him on gardening leave.

A little faith in the club is necessary; the board aren't stupid and I'm sure JB has seen CEOs come and go in his time. We will need to keep some things private, of course but that doesn't prevent him from managing the club on a day-to-day basis, not everything he does will involve state secrets.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Ollieargyle9":3ebk5zug said:
Chancellor":3ebk5zug said:
Pettgreen":3ebk5zug said:
Chancellor":3ebk5zug said:
dunlop":3ebk5zug said:

After seeing the announcement of the 2 new directors it s vitality important this post is filled by a football person.

Why does he have to go on gardening leave? Has he been dismissed? If not then he works his notice period. I just see this as a professional way of things.
The few times I have dealt with MS he has been polite, jovial and forthright in all his answers and solutions. I wish him all the best in his new role.

Why? Because he is in a position with access to highly sensitive information, including player contracts etc.

Certainly not suggesting he is unscrupulous in any way but lets face it, he is going to a direct competitor. If he went on gardening leave he would no longer have that access and that sensitive information is highly likely to change over the next 3 1/2 months. If he stays he can still access that information up until the minute he leaves.

He will already know most of the goings on at the club and will be privy to any sensitive information like player contracts that were signed whilst he was here, there is no changing that.

I am of the view that the club can and will be perfectly sensible. An outgoing CEO need not be involved in sensitive negotiations that impact beyond his tenure because he won't be here to deal with the consequences anyway. As others have said though our best chance of a clean appointment is if he is still around to conduct a proper handover, for that he needs to be in and around the less sensitive goings on in the interim and still be on good terms with the club when the new CEO arrives, neither can be achieved if we just stick him on gardening leave.

A little faith in the club is necessary; the board aren't stupid and I'm sure JB has seen CEOs come and go in his time. We will need to keep some things private, of course but that doesn't prevent him from managing the club on a day-to-day basis, not everything he does will involve state secrets.

Well said. Also no one has mentioned any degree of professionalism by all concerned. If all are professional then there is nothing to worry about. I am of a view that it will be a smooth transition.
Finally, I don't know about this much, but when CEO's move to a competitor don't they sign legally binding non-disclosure agreements? Someone who has knowledge of boardroom maneuvers might be able to answer better than I.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Pettgreen":2azq6l1x said:
Ollieargyle9":2azq6l1x said:
Chancellor":2azq6l1x said:
Pettgreen":2azq6l1x said:
Chancellor":2azq6l1x said:
dunlop":2azq6l1x said:

Well said. Also no one has mentioned any degree of professionalism by all concerned. If all are professional then there is nothing to worry about. I am of a view that it will be a smooth transition.
Finally, I don't know about this much, but when CEO's move to a competitor don't they sign legally binding non-disclosure agreements? Someone who has knowledge of boardroom maneuvers might be able to answer better than I.

How would you police a non disclosure agreement almost impossible I would say, Starnes has a new employer that is where his loyalty lies.

Aug 3, 2017
A NDA, would limit some things but wouldn't eradicate what he could take with him. I mean, if he was too look to being sponsorship to Rovers, he knows what Argyle were getting. He doesn’t need to disclose the figure but it makes him well informed on making a deal at Rovers. Likewise player purchases, or rather in Argyles case salaries.

The best Argyle could hope for is an embargo to Rovers until after the summer transfer window is closed. But why woukd the CEO moving be much different to a manager doing the same?

It’s no real surprise he’s moving on, he’s always jumped ship after a period. I know JB has mentioned about refreshing positions regularly to keep innovating and moving forward instead of stagnation.

Good luck to him!

Jan 6, 2004
Commercially speaking Argyle and Rovers are not competitors as they are not competing for the same customers so I really don't think it is much of an issue other than were the two clubs to be in negotiation about the transfer of a player.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Isondil":t2gqckvg said:
A NDA, would limit some things but wouldn't eradicate what he could take with him. I mean, if he was too look to being sponsorship to Rovers, he knows what Argyle were getting. He doesn’t need to disclose the figure but it makes him well informed on making a deal at Rovers. Likewise player purchases, or rather in Argyles case salaries.

The best Argyle could hope for is an embargo to Rovers until after the summer transfer window is closed. But why woukd the CEO moving be much different to a manager doing the same?

It’s no real surprise he’s moving on, he’s always jumped ship after a period. I know JB has mentioned about refreshing positions regularly to keep innovating and moving forward instead of stagnation.

Good luck to him!

Leave or pushed, he has to work like everyone else.

Mar 23, 2013
Thank god he has gone......there something very slippery about that bloke....good riddance I say.

Jul 13, 2006
finegreen":3nfmdk2q said:
Thank god he has gone......there something very slippery about that bloke....good riddance I say.
I got that vibe too. If he forgets what he knew, that won't leave much!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I personally think there’s little point to posting crap like that.

It takes all sorts though.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
finegreen":qnv6l1tw said:
You obviously don't know him then finegreen.