Memories of the Football Combination | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Memories of the Football Combination

Michael Fleet

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Sep 15, 2003
Am I right in thinking I saw George Best playing for Fulham reserves or is that some Trump style "misremembering?"

Jan 2, 2019
Michael_Fleet":2wexbtnh said:
Am I right in thinking I saw George Best playing for Fulham reserves or is that some Trump style "misremembering?"

I saw him play twice at HP. Once in a first team game for Fulham and once in a Charity Match. Ian Gillan played in the same game and was more than useful.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
WoodfordWall":2cfcrhjc said:
Michael_Fleet":2cfcrhjc said:

I saw him play twice at HP. Once in a first team game for Fulham and once in a Charity Match. Ian Gillan played in the same game and was more than useful.

Wasn’t that in 76 at HP? Big crowd there that day, Bobby Moore, Alan Mullery also playing I think.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Devongreenowl":34lw65b3 said:
WoodfordWall":34lw65b3 said:
Michael_Fleet":34lw65b3 said:

Wasn’t that in 76 at HP? Big crowd there that day, Bobby Moore, Alan Mullery also playing I think.

Rodney Marsh too?? :think:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Pogleswoody":1jw3ccs8 said:
Devongreenowl":1jw3ccs8 said:
WoodfordWall":1jw3ccs8 said:
Michael_Fleet":1jw3ccs8 said:

Think you’re right there Pogles.
A few months after the game against Southampton, just before their FA cup win against Man Utd. Remember that? Osgood, Channon, Mccalliog at HP and Argyle beat them. Winner direct from a corner by Darke. Another big crowd of about 25k. :scarf:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Devongreenowl":1mpbms7t said:
Pogleswoody":1mpbms7t said:
Devongreenowl":1mpbms7t said:
WoodfordWall":1mpbms7t said:
Michael_Fleet":1mpbms7t said:

A few months after the game against Southampton, just before their FA cup win against Man Utd. Remember that? Osgood, Channon, Mccalliog at HP and Argyle beat them. Winner direct from a corner by Darke. Another big crowd of about 25k. :scarf:
Lawrie McNenemy lives near me on the outskirts of Romsey. I used to see him quite often in our local shop. He likes to reminisce and he talks very fondly of his time on the coaching staff at Hillsbrough with Jim McAnearney. I teased him about us beating them just before the Cup Final.
He joked that they had other things on their mind that day, but on a serious note he reminded me that the Football League were very hot back then on teams fielding their strongest team. He made the point that Saints had a good first eleven but could not afford too many injuries. He also talked of his admiration of our former player Stuart Brace, who he managed at Grimsby.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
memory man":4x48qow9 said:
Devongreenowl":4x48qow9 said:
Pogleswoody":4x48qow9 said:
Devongreenowl":4x48qow9 said:
WoodfordWall":4x48qow9 said:
Michael_Fleet":4x48qow9 said:

Lawrie McNenemy lives near me on the outskirts of Romsey. I used to see him quite often in our local shop. He likes to reminisce and he talks very fondly of his time on the coaching staff at Hillsbrough with Jim McAnearney. I teased him about us beating them just before the Cup Final.
He joked that they had other things on their mind that day, but on a serious note he reminded me that the Football League were very hot back then on teams fielding their strongest team. He made the point that Saints had a good first eleven but could not afford too many injuries. He also talked of his admiration of our former player Stuart Brace, who he managed at Grimsby.

Yes, they were the days. Imagine a Prem side today, putting out a full strength team a matter of days before a cup final. Always liked McMenemy - just had to look him up to see if he’s still with us. 84 years old. His team a bit later with Keegan etc were such an entertaining side. Mustn’t go off thread though :whistle:

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Am I right in remembering the reason we left the Combination League was that we were voted out by the London clubs who didn't much fancy traipsing all the way down here to play us every season?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
kernow19":1wx0tqh5 said:
Am I right in remembering the reason we left the Combination League was that we were voted out by the London clubs who didn't much fancy traipsing all the way down here to play us every season?

Can’t remember if it was that reason, or Argyle deciding it was too expensive. Somebody on here must know

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Devongreenowl":36czfcyl said:
kernow19":36czfcyl said:

Can’t remember if it was that reason, or Argyle deciding it was too expensive. Somebody on here must know

I think you will find that finances at Argyle were so stretched that the club withdrew, mid-season no less, in 1981-2

The club were in Division 3 at the time attracting crowds on 3,500 to 5,000. These were grim days.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
As many have said the Football Combination brings back memories, I went to many in the 60's, i had a season ticket which i think my mum paid a pound which let me see any Argyle teams play. The 2 games i remember was that first game that Jimmy Greaves played in after coming back from Italy as someone said approx. 12,000 there for that game, but i believe there was a bigger crowd for a reserve game and that was when tickets were on sale for the Argyle V Spurs FA Cup game and you had to pay to go to the Reserve game and get a voucher for the Spurs game, so many paid to go in and get a voucher and then leave and comeback and pay again to get another voucher, something tells me that over 20,000 was the actual number who paid for that game.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Quintrell_Green":2i8fqiec said:
Devongreenowl":2i8fqiec said:
kernow19":2i8fqiec said:

I think you will find that finances at Argyle were so stretched that the club withdrew, mid-season no less, in 1981-2

The club were in Division 3 at the time attracting crowds on 3,500 to 5,000. These were grim days.

You're probably right QG. It's not good for the memory living at high altitude as you get older :oops:

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
You are incorrect Ottowa Green, but an easy mistake to make.

Yes, Argyle Reserves were home to Spurs Reserves and Jimmy Greaves was making his first appearance back in England following his sad stay in Italy. I think the attendance was just over 12,000. Jimmy scored 2 goals?

Around 2 weeks later, Argyle Reserves were home to Mansfield Reserves. All those attending that match received a voucher for the forthcoming FA Cup 4th Round match at home to Spurs. I think that the Mansfield match attracted around 26,000 spectators - that's the match you are thinking of.

Argyle went on to lose 1-5 against Spurs in the cup.

I was at all 3 matches and remember them so well.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
Devongreenowl":3lex5nk4 said:
Pogleswoody":3lex5nk4 said:
Devongreenowl":3lex5nk4 said:
WoodfordWall":3lex5nk4 said:
Michael_Fleet":3lex5nk4 said:

Don't remember it being from a corner. My memory is that Darke was by the touchline halfway between the halfway line and the DE and the cross looped over Turner's(?) head and into the far corner of the goal. Was over 40 years ago so could be wrong.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
You are right.

I was standing in the Demport End in line with the flight of the ball which Darke, playing at RB, over-hit as a cross to the far post from the Lyndhurst touchline. He was positioned almost midway between the byline and the halfway line.