Memories of the Football Combination | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Memories of the Football Combination

Apr 7, 2006
I seem to remember that Trevor lived in Melrose Avenue. Some great memories of the Combination League. Like SparkyPete, I used to collect autographs in the early 1970's and these were great opportunities to see some big name players from the First Division teams. My embarrassing moment in a reserve fixture in the 1980's came when I commented to my mate in a quiet moment in the game that Tony Kellow's finishing was rubbish when he missed a good chance. He came over to ask me if I thought that I could do any better!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Worthing_Green":2fs258r3 said:
I seem to remember that Trevor lived in Melrose Avenue. Some great memories of the Combination League. Like SparkyPete, I used to collect autographs in the early 1970's and these were great opportunities to see some big name players from the First Division teams. My embarrassing moment in a reserve fixture in the 1980's came when I commented to my mate in a quiet moment in the game that Tony Kellow's finishing was rubbish when he missed a good chance. He came over to ask me if I thought that I could do any better!

That’s funny Worthing. It would be even funnier if by some chance you managed to come up with an immediate, witty retort. :lol:

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Trevor Francis definitely lived at the end of Melrose Avenue not far from where it turned into Fountains Crescent. I too lived in Melrose Avenue and can remember his father Roy using the phone box in Melrose Avenue to phone Trevor to see how things were going when he first moved to Birmingham. Not many people had phones in their homes in those days and mobile phones were just a dream !!

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Tenuous links to Trevor Francis....

My late mother was a waitress in the Perillas Fish and Chip restaurant in the City Centre ( just looked and they seem to be down to Mutley Plain only now) and one of her colleagues was Trev's aunty Vera....

Mum also used to serve Graham Little on a regular basis and, a true gent, when he learned I was heading off on the 5AM coach to Hull City for the away FA Cup match in 1977, he furnished her with two free grandstand seats. Of course it all went a bit Pete Tong in the replay but c'est la vie.

Anyway, all I got from my link to Trev's Aunty Vera was a signed pic of him in a City strip.....

Good player though....my mum was from Nottingham and had a loose affiliation to Forest....so she was pleased when he rocked up there!

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
pafcprogs":3u06vy60 said:
Tenuous links to Trevor Francis....

My late mother was a waitress in the Perillas Fish and Chip restaurant in the City Centre ( just looked and they seem to be down to Mutley Plain only now) and one of her colleagues was Trev's aunty Vera....

Mum also used to serve Graham Little on a regular basis and, a true gent, when he learned I was heading off on the 5AM coach to Hull City for the away FA Cup match in 1977, he furnished her with two free grandstand seats. Of course it all went a bit Pete Tong in the replay but c'est la vie.

Anyway, all I got from my link to Trev's Aunty Vera was a signed pic of him in a City strip.....

Good player though....my mum was from Nottingham and had a loose affiliation to Forest....so she was pleased when he rocked up there!

Ah, Perillas!

When I got married in the mid 1970s my (first) wife said one day that she was going to the chippy and referred to it as 'Pirellis' (as in Pirelli tyres). I said to her, 'Don't you mean Perillas?' (rhyming with gorillas). 'No, Pirellis!' she testily maintained.

Neither of us would give an inch on that one - and I think that's when it all started to go wrong... :lol:

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
I'll have to admit when I looked them up I did exactly the same....even though I knew it was wrong.

My first ever Saturday job was as their van boy....would get to the Market Street store when old John and his fish cutters were portioning the cod etc for delivery to the various stores. I had to run the spuds through the peeler and then load them up onto the van with the driver, big barrel sized tubs and then fill them with water for the journey.....

Then round the various stores and deliver...the occasional "accidental" apple pie casualty being tidied up by the driver and myself. I recall one day on the way to the St Budeaux shop we cornered and the back door flung open sending two barrel of potatoes onto the road. Needless to say they were gathered up off the road, washed off at the store and chipped fried and sold later that day....

Back to the store...wash out the van then get all the greasy batter bits collected from the stores and spin the oil out for reuse with a little centrifugal spinner out the back.

Finished at one, then change, grab a free fish and chip lunch and head to Home Park for either the first team or reserves.

Happy days!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Reminds me of a good Jethro joke.

Denzil got the sack from his job at the staff canteen, cos they found him with his John Thomas in the potato peeler.

Q What happened to the potato peeler?

A. She got the sack as well!