Michael Dunford returns as CEO | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Michael Dunford returns as CEO

Feb 28, 2016
jerryatricjanner":ncvwm6i3 said:
MarkMatthews":ncvwm6i3 said:
Stuart House":ncvwm6i3 said:
Can anyone refresh my memory of his previous tenure?

As far as I can remember he was good at the role, professional and we were disappointed when he left?

Hated by the traditionalists as the man who tried to drop Semper. Wasn’t he also the one who sacked long serving stalwarts Des and Chris Robinson and then brought in David “no interest in football” Fitzgerald, in a drive to make the club appear “professional” as apparently a Plymothian accent isn’t professional?!

Could be wrong on the second point and will happily concede if not but I seem to remember the Robinsons were extremely upset at the way they got the chop and would have been around the same time MD come in.

Mark the club doesn't have to be overly parochial you know.

Neither does it have to be ashamed or embarrassed by people of the community it represents.

Oct 31, 2015
Good news all round.

My only slight niggle was he was CEO when we went into our dark days but I suspect it was little to do with him signing the cheques we couldnt cash!!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
MarkMatthews":1rxy7kqr said:
Stuart House":1rxy7kqr said:

As far as I can remember he was good at the role, professional and we were disappointed when he left?

Hated by the traditionalists as the man who tried to drop Semper. Wasn’t he also the one who sacked long serving stalwarts Des and Chris Robinson and then brought in David “no interest in football” Fitzgerald, in a drive to make the club appear “professional” as apparently a Plymothian accent isn’t professional?!

Could be wrong on the second point and will happily concede if not but I seem to remember the Robinsons were extremely upset at the way they got the chop and would have been around the same time MD come in.
Come on, Mark even Grumpy is happy with this appointment.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
MarkMatthews":g55i2acr said:
Stuart House":g55i2acr said:

Wasn't Chris Robinson born in Sussex?

Ray the Aviator

♣️ PASALB Member
Sep 15, 2003
Bramley, Hampshire
Back then it was said he was Good at his job but i had very poor dealings with him over the issue of Arsenal FA cup tickets ... it tainted my relationship with the club.. IJN knows the full story ... but i nearly threw several decades of utterly loyal support to Argyle down the drain.

I hope he at least isnt as arrogant and dismissive as i found him last time he was here.

Feb 28, 2016
Emu":20c0qlgm said:
MarkMatthews":20c0qlgm said:
Stuart House":20c0qlgm said:

Maybe, still served Argyle going back at least to the 70s,has made Plymouth his home and become an important and integral role in Plymouth. (I don’t agree with his personal politics but recognise his contribution to both this city and this club.) His father certainly had a strong Westcountry accent which played a part in his sacking, interesting we have only had announcers with neutral accents (I think we are on our third since Robinson) ever since, at least Fitz wasn’t monotone, like the last two.

That “Toy-town” Semper as Sparksy described it still makes me cringe. On the whole I don’t think it a good thing he is back, that said I will only judge him on his actions this time around.

May 8, 2011
I was on the Committee of the Far Post Club at the time Argyle decided that they would bring it in house so I suffered quite a few meetings with Mr Dunford.
I was brought up with the saying, if you can’t say anything good about someone say nothing so that it what I will be doing.

C

Cult Of Personality

Glad to see Dunford back. I know certain people will be unhappy and Dunford did not suffer fools and hangers-on

Jan 3, 2017
Disappointed with this. Backwards step in terms of competing with opposition who are exploiting new revenue streams with creative methods. The CEO equivalent of John Sheridan. Has tried-and-tested (but now very dated) ways of doing the job, but no hope that anything will be creative/exciting. Seems at odds with the development plans off the pitch and Brent's progressive agenda.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Isondil":jmjx28me said:
Can someone confirm is this the guy who opened the shop in Drake’s Circus that cost the club a lot of money just prior to our dark days or am I misremembering?
I thought it was opened a while before that but I may be wrong. Its demise was certainly lamented as for many it was easier to get at than HP. I think they sold match tickets there too which again gave easier access to some.

Feb 28, 2016
I was pretty sure one of the reasons I disliked him is that he was vehemently opposed to the introduction of safe standing and dismissed it out of hand whenever raised refused to sign the club up to official campaigns regarding it.

Thought it could have been my mind playing tricks, so googled Michael Dunford safe standing. A post on a Birmingham fan blog from 2011, claims to have met him to raise the issue and he was still completely dismissive then.

I think it would be a shame if he causes a rethink as we have seen a change of attitude, (which I welcomed,) from James Brent.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Hmmmm. Doesn’t seem like an overly popular choice, and certainly not the first choice given various media reports about other clubs’ officials.

Welcome back, though.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
DrP78":1pimygmn said:
Disappointed with this. Backwards step in terms of competing with opposition who are exploiting new revenue streams with creative methods. The CEO equivalent of John Sheridan. Has tried-and-tested (but now very dated) ways of doing the job, but no hope that anything will be creative/exciting. Seems at odds with the development plans off the pitch and Brent's progressive agenda.

In his 9 years away he might have developed new methods? He is being judged under his previous stint when he had to work with Todd, Gardner and co, this time around he could be very different when working with different directors and manager.

One thing is for sure he knows his stuff and would have plenty of contacts within football, especially at the EFL and the various committees.

Jul 6, 2011
Emu":h2d6bc99 said:
MarkMatthews":h2d6bc99 said:
Stuart House":h2d6bc99 said:

Des Robinson was my maths teacher, is he still going?