Move the family enclosure | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Move the family enclosure

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
Moving seems a drastic step.

Maybe the solution is to do a number of things:

- Tighter stewarding.
- More or bigger notices that it’s the family stand so away supporters can see it is.
- zero tolerance of away fans making abusive gestures or swearing at the enclosure.
- a temporary vertical screen between the two sections.

Just some ideas.

Aug 2, 2011
Reading through some of this you would imagine that Argyle fans are the perfect little angels - never swearing, never calling the ref a wa---r, etc etc. Oh yes what about the "your sh-t" everytime the opposition keeper takes a goal kick.

Oh and is singing dirty northern illegitimates racist? So a few away faans raise two fingers to to the family area who cannot cope with that yet are happy to join in abuse of opposition keepers. Come on get a life.

Nov 4, 2012
Pezbuck":12xp6yuv said:
Moving seems a drastic step.

Maybe the solution is to do a number of things:

- Tighter stewarding.
- More or bigger notices that it’s the family stand so away supporters can see it is.
- zero tolerance of away fans making abusive gestures or swearing at the enclosure.
- a temporary vertical screen between the two sections.

Just some ideas.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Aug 24, 2011
This was done on purpose and i have heard from a direct source that Argyle save 50-60k a year on policing due to the fact the problems between the two blocks is significantly less when filled with families.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Andy Holland":19m6g8gz said:
No, I don't want a return of the worst of Zoo Corner.

Make the idiots who used to congregate there to swear at stewards, sing songs about people dying of cancer and generally pretend to be hard whilst never being in any actual danger mix with the fans who can behave themselves and maybe they'll think twice before acting like grade A knobheads (I'm aware that it was certainly was not everyone who sat there, before I get picked up on that).

If the away fans - surely just a handful of idiots - can't see that they're trying to "have a go" at a bunch of kids, we shouldn't have to legislate for such utter stupidity.

This

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Mark Pedlar":3c43879o said:
Andy Holland":3c43879o said:

Make the idiots who used to congregate there to swear at stewards, sing songs about people dying of cancer and generally pretend to be hard whilst never being in any actual danger mix with the fans who can behave themselves and maybe they'll think twice before acting like grade A knobheads (I'm aware that it was certainly was not everyone who sat there, before I get picked up on that).

If the away fans - surely just a handful of idiots - can't see that they're trying to "have a go" at a bunch of kids, we shouldn't have to legislate for such utter stupidity.

This

Can't help but wonder whether some of those most vociferous about wanting the family area moved "for the safety of our younger supporters" are those most frustrated that it no longer allows them the opportunity to get up close and personal with the opposition's fans?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
kernow19":1a1cbmw5 said:
Mark Pedlar":1a1cbmw5 said:
Andy Holland":1a1cbmw5 said:

This

Can't help but wonder whether some of those most vociferous about wanting the family area moved "for the safety of our younger supporters" are those most frustrated that it no longer allows them the opportunity to get up close and personal with the opposition's fans?
That's how I see it.

Oct 19, 2013
I think it's fine where it is personally, but it would be fair to say you don't see that many away fan kids in the 'for all' bit which is often put forward as the reason to leave as is. Maybe I'm unobservant but i regularly go without noticing any at all.

Dec 28, 2010
Presto":7roec2t3 said:
Reading through some of this you would imagine that Argyle fans are the perfect little angels - never swearing, never calling the ref a wa---r, etc etc. Oh yes what about the "your sh-t" everytime the opposition keeper takes a goal kick.

Oh and is singing dirty northern bar stewards racist? So a few away faans raise two fingers to to the family area who cannot cope with that yet are happy to join in abuse of opposition keepers. Come on get a life.

With respect you obviously do not have children. 6 year olds like my son and friends should not be subject to this sort of language and have a right to be at our matches. They are the future of our club and need to grow with respect not abuse. Yes in time they will adapt to such language but not at this age.

Aug 2, 2011
I understand your concern however no matter where the family area is placed abusive, offensive language is common at football grounds. I do not justify it but for example on Tuesday night there was a significant outburst from the Devonport end towards Lyle Taylor primarily accussing himself in rude terms of self abuse. Similarly screaming out "you are sh-t" to oppo keepers is heard throughout the ground. Indeed when there has been a good attendance in the family area that chant originates from that sedtion of the ground when the oppo keeper is defending it.

Short of providing earplugs for attending children it happens and the language is not confined to away fans.

The club goes out of its way to provide a safe and suitable area for children/family. You say I do not have children well I have 3 sons and 6 grandchildren. 2 of my grandchildren have with their parentsnused the family area and reported that there was no problems at all. I appreciate that there may well be inappropriate abuse thrown at the areaa from opposition support but the area is a safe and has facilitiesmunder the stand for children which may not be easily accomodated elsewhere.

May 4, 2015
chunkymonkey78":1me3k4xy said:
Surely the family enclosure needs to be as far from the Devonport as possible?

Why? That's the area my kids always point too and want to be.

There is no taunting of away fans, ok there maybe colourful language at times but lets remember this s a football ground. That is where the party atmosphere is. Far better than being sat next to away fans who want to continually give hand gestured or flick V's (or worse give cut throat signs as witnessed this season).

Why did the club remove it for the Liverpool, Exeter, and upcoming Bristol games? That is verifying my point that it is in the wrong place.

It served a purpose when we were playing teams who brought one man and a dog as an away following, but the area was terribly isolated from the rest of the ground in such games. I can't see that saved £40k - £50k per game on policing when the likes of Acrrington, Morecambe and Rochdale came down??

The games where policing at that level is required (Exeter, Bristol, Liverpool) the family enclosure has been shut.

As mentioned, there is little if any uptake from away fans.

It needs relocating, which would hopefully lead to a better atmosphere in the lyndhurst. I'm not talking violence (Apart from Bristol City way back in 2002 I can't remember any actual trouble inside Home Park) but hostility between home and away fans is part of football. A family zone should not be plonked in the middle of it

Apr 26, 2016
Have to agree that even with 250 Wimbledon away fans the twenty lads or shall we say ladettes who left twenty minutes from time hurled abuse and sent hand gestures
at the family zone and the kids responded to the horror of the adults in the area.
Crazy a club uses families as a screen between home and away supporters, you watch premiership games on TV and there is a row of stewards sat between
two sets of supporters, at Argyle you need four block segregation.
When the corners are filled in it would be better to move away fans into the corner and have our own fans behind the goal like at Villa it helps the team.

Jan 9, 2006
Presto":2l14pkm6 said:

Oh and is singing dirty northern bar stewards racist? So a few away faans raise two fingers to to the family area who cannot cope with that yet are happy to join in abuse of opposition keepers. Come on get a life.

No, it's not. HTH.