Move the family enclosure | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Move the family enclosure

Apr 26, 2016
I think the subject matter is the location of the family area, hopefully in the future it will be in the lower mayflower or some where else but not in direct line between two sets of supporters who
hurling abuse at each other, yes the kids join in but it doesn't make it right. Also remember families walk out after the game just where the two sets of supporters come together and there
is always a tense atmosphere for five minutes. Never understood why the away coaches don't get parked down at the away end, hope that's in the new plan.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Definitely in the wrong place some people are getting mixed up with the facilities for the kids and the location of the family location in the ground, I have said it before no football person would use kids as a human shield between rival football supporters, as mentioned above if there is a potential hostile atmosphere or high attendance then the kids are relocated, in a normal game you can hear the abuse coming from the away end the kids should not be subjected to such language, what it does is encourage them to do the same the older they become.

Closing zoo corner has also had a detriment effect on the atmosphere in the ground.

May 4, 2015
dunlop":sjmq2i8c said:
Definitely in the wrong place some people are getting mixed up with the facilities for the kids and the location of the family location in the ground, I have said it before no football person would use kids as a human shield between rival football supporters, as mentioned above if there is a potential hostile atmosphere or high attendance then the kids are relocated, in a normal game you can hear the abuse coming from the away end the kids should not be subjected to such language, what it does is encourage them to do the same the older they become.

Closing zoo corner has also had a detriment effect on the atmosphere in the ground.

Amen :scarf:

O

ogwellmike

Keepitgreen wrote:
kernow 19 wrote:
Can't help but wonder whether some of those most vociferous about wanting the family area moved "for the safety of our younger supporters" are those most frustrated that it no longer allows them the opportunity to get up close and personal with the opposition's fans?
That's how I see it.

Me too!
Some other points:
The Family Area is certainly open to our visitors and, on all the occasions I have been with my grandchildren, quite a few of them have been there. Some don't wear their club colours but when you start chatting you discover they are visitors. And the kids get on fine together. It's all part of educating them not to behave like the moronic knuckle draggers on both sides of the family enclosure.

Again, in my experience, there is no nastiness with visiting supporters outside after the match. On the contrary, they can be very friendly. I still have a photo of my two little ones, in their Argyle green, hand in hand with two Hartlepool supporting Princess Leias! The nastiest people you'll see at Home Park are more likely to be drunken Argyle supporters from what I've seen.

As far as closing the family enclosure for some matches goes - I assume that the club has to follow the advice of the Devon & Cornwall police whether they like it or not. I would have thought that other solutions were possible but the police will obviously have the final say.

Oct 16, 2016
It makes sense to have the families next to the away supporters, you’ll note that the major ‘bell ends’ congragate in blocks 13-14 ish (not all are bell ends obviously in that area).
The vitriol is aimed to and fro from those areas but the families are in the middle

Feb 23, 2008
Jose446":1jt1mflu said:
chunkymonkey78":1jt1mflu said:
Surely the family enclosure needs to be as far from the Devonport as possible?

Why? That's the area my kids always point too and want to be.

There is no taunting of away fans, ok there maybe colourful language at times but lets remember this s a football ground. That is where the party atmosphere is. Far better than being sat next to away fans who want to continually give hand gestured or flick V's (or worse give cut throat signs as witnessed this season).

Why did the club remove it for the Liverpool, Exeter, and upcoming Bristol games? That is verifying my point that it is in the wrong place.

It served a purpose when we were playing teams who brought one man and a dog as an away following, but the area was terribly isolated from the rest of the ground in such games. I can't see that saved £40k - £50k per game on policing when the likes of Acrrington, Morecambe and Rochdale came down??

The games where policing at that level is required (Exeter, Bristol, Liverpool) the family enclosure has been shut.

As mentioned, there is little if any uptake from away fans.

It needs relocating, which would hopefully lead to a better atmosphere in the lyndhurst. I'm not talking violence (Apart from Bristol City way back in 2002 I can't remember any actual trouble inside Home Park) but hostility between home and away fans is part of football. A family zone should not be plonked in the middle of it

Going by the reaction of some on the swearing at games thread a few weeks back I'm not sure the best place for the kids is right next to the most vocal part of the home support. Not all would share the same attitude you do that I agree with, we're at a football stadium.

I don't see it being long before people are outraged that 'the fans were singing such obscenities right next to the kids'.

Mar 23, 2008
I would like to see it moved, i have been in there with my son for low key games and even then it's not great so why take the risk? I guess it's there due to the facilities below the stand but the new stand you would think would allow for that, young fans need to be encouraged and having the family stand there will not do that.

Sep 19, 2015
Do we really need a family section anyway? 99% of us on here were introduced to Home Park without the aids of computer games, why does the modern society need this?

Why would anybody want to sit in the family stand anyway? For me and my children going to the Football is about creating relationships with random people around you who all have one thing in common, wanting Argyle to win. This includes celebrating the good times together when the team is doing well but more importantly continually sticking it out when times are hard and we are going through the shi*e!

Isolating yourself from all these important life lessons so your children can spend 15 minutes on a PlayStation at half time (The one thing I am trying to encourage my kids to forget about) seems way over the top in my opinion.

Jun 7, 2006
Whilst I understand this view the family area serves a purpose if you are introducing young children to the football experience. 90 minutes is a very long time for a 5 or 6 year old to concentrate. I personally would have had no interest in football at that age. If this club is to have a good future we need young people to develop an interest and attachment to the club. It is right therefore that Argyle should put time and energy into this. Apart from anything else most people by the age of 10 have chosen a football club for life.