Mr R Cowdery | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mr R Cowdery

Mar 16, 2009
London
Good journalist, decent writer and glad he has the gumption to inject an edge to his style when needed.

The official reporting might be too dry otherwise.

Mar 14, 2009
I find this a interesting debate. Not so much about Cowdrey, but just how people have a perception about others.

I mean is it wrong is what he said? Afterall, there are plenty of examples where what he wrote was correct about the fan base.

I think what happens is that people take his remarks in a more personal way when to be honest I feel you have to generalise them and see that what he was pointing out were things that did happen on various sources of social media. Is he having a sly dig at the fanbase? Well yeah..... but its no where near the levels of how people talk to each other on here at times and put them down.

How many times do people make comments on here and then get all personal. Now of course he is charge of communications at Argyle but I merely think he is just making a generalisation which happens to be true. Could he not do it? Sure. I think Cowdrey's remarks were more reflective on the past few weeks events and were no where near the levels of abuse, with passion and anger, that I have seen between fans on Argyle based social media sites.

There wasnt much patience going on from the fanbase by a minority of people. However, if you read the Chairman's latest blog on the website even he admits to the fact he was becoming frustated. There is nothing wrong in this world with people admitting they have faults or even other people pointing them out. As long as they are constructive, and not nasty personal insults. Its like we now leave in a world that really cant handle any type of criticism. Saying the fanbase was impatience is hardly the worse criticism anyhow because I'm afraid we are all eager to see Argyle doing well and in order for that happen we often don't have the patience wait for things to eventually fall in place.

Its like on here. People have opinions. But boy, do some get upset if those opinions arent in line with their own thinking of the way you should support Argyle. Cowdrey has an opinion, and a right to voice it. If you dont like it then you just ignore when he writes. You have a choice. You dont need to read something that will end up winding you up.

As I get older I do worry about this PC society. Dont get me wrong there are many good things we have to abide by but it really has created abit of a namby-pamby world where it seems wrong to have a strong opinion.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
That's all well and good, apart from the fact that the club website is not Rick Cowdery's personal blogspot for sharing his opinions on things.

Jul 13, 2006
I hate pc and I'm all for a bit of humour, but he just comes across as unprofessional and anti- fans.
Amazed he's still here.

Mar 14, 2009
David Friio's mate":3mx1omxu said:
That's all well and good, apart from the fact that the club website is not Rick Cowdery's personal blogspot for sharing his opinions on things.

Isn't he a journalist? Look at the way journalists are nowadays.

How many shows on TV and Radio where you have journalist based sports shows that give an opinion.

That's to me how journalism has changed since I've grown up. It use to be about reporting on the sport. Now its about your opinion of you watching that sport and what you saw. That's why the introduction of sports editor columns I believe came into newspapers. As there obviously is a demand to hear opinions. Of course not everyone will like that but people still will read or watch it which creates demand.

There is a American DJ called Howard Stern. There is a great film which is about his life. The interesting bit in there is about ratings. Asked how many people like him and listen to him was less than those who hate him but ended up still listening to him.

That's the society we live in. People obviously clicked on Cowdrey's piece and read it. People don't like it, but they still read it. Now we are talking about it. Doesn't matter if you feel its a good or bad article, we are still talking about it. From an Argyle perspective job done because we are just talking about things Argyle related.

If people didn't read the OS or articles then I think that's when there is an issue. Its all about clicks and hits. I think if the OS was bland and unopinionated then people may get bored in todays society. Its the numbers game and if Argyle OS is getting good internet traffic then job done where they like Cowdrey or not. If they get good traffic then the volumes of people can read the Argyle propaganda (promoting all positive aspects of the club) and Argyle will probably be happy with that.

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
Picked him up in my cab a few years ago. Nice guy. Remember him doing match reports in WMN and found them entertaining and quite funny at times.

One thing to bear in mind is that Rick doesn’t write all of the content. Some of it is done by someone else.

Personally I found the comment about Brian Wake in the Lowe press release quite amusing. I considered it a nod that those at the club had also.

People need to be less precious. If the club don’t like attitudes of some fans (and frankly some of the inline stuff towards DA, Rick, Simon and James was disgusting) then the club are fair to call it out. It’s a two way street.

Apr 6, 2009
I've never met the guy but some of the tweets over the past few seasons have been a tad embarrassing.

last season I pointed out a mistake on Twitter but I wasn't rude or sarcastic. the result of that was being blocked my the club Twitter for the whole season! o set up a new Twitter as I like to use it to see the team on matchday so wasn't a huge bother to me but was pretty childish looking by the club

Mar 14, 2009
katkin":2u40na1e said:
I've never met the guy but some of the tweets over the past few seasons have been a tad embarrassing.

last season I pointed out a mistake on Twitter but I wasn't rude or sarcastic. the result of that was being blocked my the club Twitter for the whole season! o set up a new Twitter as I like to use it to see the team on matchday so wasn't a huge bother to me but was pretty childish looking by the club

That isn’t good. The club have to find a better balance of action than resort to just blocking someone in those circumstances.

We can be more professional but like everything mistakes will always be made.

Aug 11, 2013
Disappointed - thought this was going to be one of those satirical posts where you finish the sentence like Blankety Blank.

woollygreen

✅ Evergreen
Jun 18, 2006
plymouth
Not posted in an age but must say I have had a number of dealings with Rick via email and have always found him to be a professional and a knowledgeable guy.

He may sometimes play devils advocate but the Guy’s a green so give him a break.

Constructive criticism yes abuse no.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":30dvs0di said:
I find this a interesting debate. Not so much about Cowdrey, but just how people have a perception about others.

I mean is it wrong is what he said? Afterall, there are plenty of examples where what he wrote was correct about the fan base.

I think what happens is that people take his remarks in a more personal way when to be honest I feel you have to generalise them and see that what he was pointing out were things that did happen on various sources of social media. Is he having a sly dig at the fanbase? Well yeah..... but its no where near the levels of how people talk to each other on here at times and put them down.

How many times do people make comments on here and then get all personal. Now of course he is charge of communications at Argyle but I merely think he is just making a generalisation which happens to be true. Could he not do it? Sure. I think Cowdrey's remarks were more reflective on the past few weeks events and were no where near the levels of abuse, with passion and anger, that I have seen between fans on Argyle based social media sites.

There wasnt much patience going on from the fanbase by a minority of people. However, if you read the Chairman's latest blog on the website even he admits to the fact he was becoming frustated. There is nothing wrong in this world with people admitting they have faults or even other people pointing them out. As long as they are constructive, and not nasty personal insults. Its like we now leave in a world that really cant handle any type of criticism. Saying the fanbase was impatience is hardly the worse criticism anyhow because I'm afraid we are all eager to see Argyle doing well and in order for that happen we often don't have the patience wait for things to eventually fall in place.

Its like on here. People have opinions. But boy, do some get upset if those opinions arent in line with their own thinking of the way you should support Argyle. Cowdrey has an opinion, and a right to voice it. If you dont like it then you just ignore when he writes. You have a choice. You dont need to read something that will end up winding you up.

As I get older I do worry about this PC society. Dont get me wrong there are many good things we have to abide by but it really has created abit of a namby-pamby world where it seems wrong to have a strong opinion.
Some very reasonable and sensible observations there, Mickey. I don’t think he is anything like he is portrayed on Pasoti.
By the way, I think he is Cowdery (according to club website) not as spelt in the thread title.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
davie nine":14s9abkd said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":14s9abkd said:

Some very reasonable and sensible observations there, Mickey. I don’t think he is anything like he is portrayed on Pasoti.
By the way, I think he is Cowdery (according to club website) not as spelt in the thread title.
Not wishing to be pedantic but Cowdery not Cowderey.

Aug 5, 2016
IJN":i9pvpmpj said:
People before this gets into a witch hunt, remember the bloke has no right to reply.

Also, personal abuse is not allowed on this site. If you want to vent, there are other avenues for that but Pasoti will not tolerate it.

Criticism is ok but let's watch what we say.

Why does he have no right of reply? He seemed to read this site during the month and a half recruitment process for our new manager.