Musical Reminders | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Musical Reminders

Jan 7, 2016
Kernow
Bananarette":325venuj said:
I’m sure I heard A Walk In The Black Forest at the end of a game at HP recently.
I always think of Argyle immediately I hear Dreamer by Supertramp. I am transported to January 1975 and the Everton FA Cup game as soon as I hear that distinctive intro.

A walk in the black forest playing as we left the ground. My son couldn't understand my excitement. First time I had registered it in a very long time.

Aug 5, 2016
Smooth by Santana, when we were in the Championship it was played almost every game.

Then Champion the Wonderhorse for a bit. Not sure what that was about.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Green_guile":69d9kfwj said:
A walk in the black forest was playing as we left the ground. My son couldn't understand my excitement. First time I had registered it in a very long time.
I thought that’s what was playing as we left the ground yesterday. The ultimate in easy listening.

Don’t know what prompted them to play it but that was a throwback to the 60s at the end of games.

Horst Jankowski and his Orchestra, it got into the Top 10 in the mid-Sixties.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Blaydon Races, unfortunately. :)

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Pogleswoody":3otypead said:
How about this one, vis-á-vis Argyle and Ryan Lowe?:

Give me just a little more time, And our love will surely grow, Give me just a little more time, And our love will surely grow
Life's too short to make a mistake, Let's think of each other and hesitate, Young and impatient we may be
There's no need to act foolishly, If we part our hearts won't forget it, Years from now we'll surely regret it
Love is that mountain we must climb, Let's climb it together your hand in mine, We haven't known each other too long
But the feeling I have is oh so strong, I know we can make it, there's no doubt, We owe it to ourselves to find it out, just
Give me just a little more time
And our love will surely grow
And our love will surely grow :scarf:

I think you’ve had time enough Pogles. Best have a lie down. :funny:

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
Build me up Buttercup was Holloways favourite song so I doubt anyone would back that one. So dont play it when he's here in a few weeks.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Devongreenowl":2rj6f79n said:
Pogleswoody":2rj6f79n said:
How about this one, vis-á-vis Argyle and Ryan Lowe?:

Give me just a little more time, And our love will surely grow, Give me just a little more time, And our love will surely grow
Life's too short to make a mistake, Let's think of each other and hesitate, Young and impatient we may be
There's no need to act foolishly, If we part our hearts won't forget it, Years from now we'll surely regret it
Love is that mountain we must climb, Let's climb it together your hand in mine, We haven't known each other too long
But the feeling I have is oh so strong, I know we can make it, there's no doubt, We owe it to ourselves to find it out, just
And our love will surely grow
And our love will surely grow :scarf:

I think you’ve had time enough Pogles. Best have a lie down. :funny:

:D

I recall that A Walk in the Black Forest 'back in the day' was promoted as a tune to get people moving. The rhythm and tempo was meant to move people along in crowded places and it was used to disperse crowds etc. That is probably why it was originally used.

I'd prefer anything by Green Day myself!!

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Good to hear A Walk in the Black Forest at HP again.

It reminds me of going out through the back of the original Devonport End, past the Urinals without a roof, up the gentle incline past the old Floodlight pylon, out the Main Gate and down the lane. Then getting home as fast as I could to hear Sports Report on the Redifusion Wireless.

Happy days.

Feb 28, 2016
Bernie Bernbaum":6op79y49 said:
Manchesterlalala":6op79y49 said:
Can't hear either Murder on the Dancefloor or DJ Otzi's version of 'Hey Baby' without thinking of Argyle 2001-02. Every half time seemed to have the two tunes on loop.

Smooth by Santana is another one or Hey Ya by Outkast.

Luggy’s favourite song at the time was Teenage Dirtbag by wheatus which got played a lot around the same time. Whenever I hear Smooth now it evokes that weird half time smell that is the mixture of pee, pasties and fag smoke.

The music policy seemed much better when Chris Robinson did it he didn’t stand for none of this goal music nonsense either.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
'Sailing' - Rod Stewart...and the failed attempt by Argyle's comms team (sic) to make it our official club song. :roll:

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
1967 was my first match experience at Home Park. Popular songs played over the speakers at the time were I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman, Georgie Girl and Excerpts From A Teenage Opera by Keith West. I remember the Devonport End adopting the 'Grocer Jack' part of the latter when Billy Bingham had been made manager. We had just been relegated to Division Three (third tier) and, rather optimistically, the recurring chant was, 'Argyle, Argyle, is it true what Bingham says - we're gonna win Division Three?'

Innocent days... :scarf:

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Knibbsworth":1quhqlju said:
Smooth by Santana, when we were in the Championship it was played almost every game.

Then Champion the Wonderhorse for a bit. Not sure what that was about.

That was from the Holloway era he liked the words "the time will come when everyone will know the name of Champion the wonder horse"
He related it to taking Argyle to greater things and making them famous. Sadly Leicester came a calling before he completed his task.