Names on shirts | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Names on shirts

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Suits cost more than tracksuits to produce. They also don’t remove the need for the tracksuit. Therefore you suggest increasing cost with no noticeable return?

Then there’s the headphones. It has been well documented how strict Capello was with this sort of thing and look at the reaction. Players like to prepare for games in different ways, so let them. What’s more they’re adults. They can make their own decisions and don’t need to be treated like schoolboys.

As for coloured boots are some of you for real? What impact does it have on anything? Remi Matthews who has been praised no end on here wears pink boots. Would he have performed better in black boots? Ridiculous.

Jan 13, 2017
Not too bothered with Names or coloured boots (prefer BW though).
what really does my head in is players wearing longsleeved undershirts (armour) underneath short sleeved shirts....... madness i feel. the Fa should stipulate that if you choose to wear long sleeve under armour then you must wear long sleeve shirts!! think it looks very untidy. Moan Over :thumbdown: :furious:

Jan 13, 2017
Always enjoy reading threads like this because it means that things are going so well on the pitch so people need to find other random things to moan about! :D :scarf:

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":26ga3fii said:
Suits cost more than tracksuits to produce. They also don’t remove the need for the tracksuit. Therefore you suggest increasing cost with no noticeable return?

Then there’s the headphones. It has been well documented how strict Capello was with this sort of thing and look at the reaction. Players like to prepare for games in different ways, so let them. What’s more they’re adults. They can make their own decisions and don’t need to be treated like schoolboys.

As for coloured boots are some of you for real? What impact does it have on anything? Remi Matthews who has been praised no end on here wears pink boots. Would he have performed better in black boots? Ridiculous.

The reason i mentioned the suits is back in the day id played for sides where we had to wear shirt and tie and a jacket, especially to away games, although we were only amateurs, it looked more professional, and if the other side saw us getting off the coach, and they were in their "tracksuits" we did feel a bit superior. you cant tell me when the average chap wears a suit he doesn't feel better about himself. Although i suppose its all about standards.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
NorfolkGreen":15vz009z said:
earl grey":15vz009z said:
Doesn't bother me, but modern football and all it's ways pee me right off. I always spend the first 10 minutes of any game moaning about the rainbow of boots on display.

Next up is my anger at the youth team coming out with their shirts untucked for their lap the other day. Disgusting if I'm honest. Ill advised.

Yep, I'm great company

I’d fine anyone not wearing black boots.

You'd get rich very quick... :funny:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned outfield players wearing gloves.

Some younger fans will be surprised to know that back in the day, even goalkeepers would play bare handed. Who can remember Pat Jennings catching crosses one handed, something that is impossible to do wearing gloves?

Oct 18, 2011
Anyone wearing white boots (or indeed gloves) in my playing days would always get a special "hello" from me first time they touched the ball. You had to be good to wear anything other than black boots in those days, but they generally didn't like the more physical side of the game from the more industrial defenders like myself. Times have changed these days though, not worth getting upset about.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I am one for uniformity. I'm okay with coloured boots but I'd prefer the whole team wore the same. Maybe that's a bit OCD though :)

Dubai Green

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 15, 2008
Singapore
Anyone else for keepers wearing the same shorts and socks as their teammates? Or is that one just me?

There is one good thing about coloured boots - many’s the Premiership game I’ve watched on TV where I couldn’t care less who wins, until I see which team is sporting more pairs of black boots. Gives me a reason to care about the result.

And Frazer - enjoy being young. Then, when old age grumpiness comes, embrace it. And remember how you used to think about how this sort of stuff didn’t matter.

It’ll happen. Trust me.

N

NorfolkGreen

Benji85":3qkvyblk said:
Boot colours should match the kit, like Carey's did away to Blackpool

And if each boot in a pair is a different colour the fine would be quadrupled.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Diddyman 1983":7m1rlv7s said:
Having just seen a picture of Ciftci on the Herald website holding up his new Motherwell shirt, I thought it was an opportune moment to bring something up on here that's been bugging me for quite some time now.

Does anyone know the rules (if any) when it comes to players' names on the back of their shirt? Ciftci has "Nadir" on the back of his Motherwell shirt, his forename. There are quite a few other examples (although off the top of my head I can only think of Jordon Ibe and Dele Alli, there are definitely more in the football league) of players having something other than their surname printed on the back of their shirt. Hernandez at West Ham has his nickname on the back of his shirt for goodness sake! I also seem to recall ex Birmingham loanee Christian Benitez having his nickname on his shirt (I think).

Does anyone reading this know the relevant protocol? Can players just call themselves whatever the hell they like now?! I don't know why it winds me up, but it does! Must be my old age.

Thanks in advance.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
The rule is that it should be a Surname and number to clearly identify the player. A Christian name or nick name can be used if prior permission is granted by the league.

D

Diddyman 1983

999mattyg":2bfwjsal said:
The rule is that it should be a Surname and number to clearly identify the player. A Christian name or nick name can be used if prior permission is granted by the league.

Thanks Matty, finally an answer to my question.