Naming rights for Home Park | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Naming rights for Home Park

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Dean Court seems to have comfortably become known as the Vitality Stadium but the I don't know any Bournemouth fans who might not agree.

QPR for me is the weird one. It was Rangers Stadium (well that's what was stated on their programmes back in the 70's) yet everyone called it Loftus Road despite the main entrance and offices being around the corner in South Africa Road. Now, for excellent reasons it has been changed but unfortunately I have to look it up because I can never remember the kid's name that it honours.

Looked up..... Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Both Dean Court and Loftus Road in my book.

The others name don't even enter my head, people that tend to use these new names are either within the club or simply try to be clever by remembering them.

So I reckon if someone want to pay £200,000 for renaming Home Park, I'd pull their arms off, it will always be Home Park to all of us, apart from Lundan Cabbie obviously.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":zs9rebta said:
Both Dean Court and Loftus Road in my book.

The others name don't even enter my head, people that tend to use these new names are either within the club or simply try to be clever by remembering them.

So I reckon if someone want to pay £200,000 for renaming Home Park, I'd pull their arms off, it will always be Home Park to all of us, apart from Lundan Cabbie obviously.

Home Park for me too although I have been caught out by taking a customer to the football stadium when they wanted to go to Home Park in Stoke.

Aug 12, 2016
Bang Phra. Thailand
On names never dying out.
Interesting how for many years after their move Millwall's home became stupidly and unoriginally, ' The New Den '
Now it seems to have thankfully reverted, to THE DEN.

I would like to think it is down to their popular terrace song
' let em come
let em come
let em come
let em all come down to the Den '

It just doesn't work if you add 'new' to it. (try it and see what I mean)

I would like to think fan power prevailed but no doubt it was down to marketing.

Oct 16, 2016
I like what Harry Kane has done with the Leyton Orient partnership. Fantastic initiative which supports the club plus wonderful organisations and charities (NHS & children’s hospice)

This is truly where the upper echelons can flex their financial muscles for the good of the game

Feb 28, 2016
BHS":f6gqyj7q said:
Rush Goalie":f6gqyj7q said:
IJN":f6gqyj7q said:
Balham_Green":f6gqyj7q said:
IJN":f6gqyj7q said:
I can never understand why people pay really big money for stadiums to be renamed, Let's face it fans and football people always refer to the original name don't they?

Like The Emirates?

What was it before BG?

I think that's right - it only ever works as a marketing exercise when the brand is on there from inception (or as near as dammit). In the same way, I often still think of Bolton's statdium as the Reebok, Huddersfield's as the McAlpine and Leicester's as the Walkers (even though they won the title at the King Power).

Home Park will always be Home Park.

Agree but to add, IMO works best for new stadia like as said previously , The Emirates, I instantly associate with Arsenal. Same with Walkers (Crisps) being synonymous with Leicester, they also had Leicester boy done good - Gary Lineker advertising their product, which maybe heightened Leicester FC’s profile? Also both companies were shirt sponsors as well.

As for Huddersfield (New stadium) and Salford (redeveloped) both stadiums were initially named after the construction companies that built their new stadiums, McAlpine (John McAlpine) and Penninsular.
That was done as a commercial agreements to offset the construction costs. I don’t either have been shirt sponsors also.

Do other fans nationally associate Argyle with Ginsters and vice versa? The pasty is uniquely associated with Cornwall (and Devon, don’t want to start another debate) and originates from the region.
If any company fits best for naming Home Park it would have to be: Ginsters Home Park.
How much money that would be worth to the club I could not say but agree with other posters more likely tens of thousands not hundreds.

BT Cellnet stadium no longer sponsored is it? Think they were also the shirt sponsor for them too.

Stokes ground was originally sponsored by the building society but still retained the name for many years after they dissolved, and the turf accountants taking over, luckily for them it was a decent sounding name.

As for Argyle whoring out the ground or stands that is a massive no for me so I would support a crowd funder to retain the proper name. I wonder how much it would cost to get the god awful Ginsters logo off and pay to have unsoiled shirts?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
MarkMatthews":2ywaoj6n said:
BHS":2ywaoj6n said:
Rush Goalie":2ywaoj6n said:
IJN":2ywaoj6n said:
Balham_Green":2ywaoj6n said:
IJN":2ywaoj6n said:
I can never understand why people pay really big money for stadiums to be renamed, Let's face it fans and football people always refer to the original name don't they?

Like The Emirates?

What was it before BG?

I think that's right - it only ever works as a marketing exercise when the brand is on there from inception (or as near as dammit). In the same way, I often still think of Bolton's statdium as the Reebok, Huddersfield's as the McAlpine and Leicester's as the Walkers (even though they won the title at the King Power).

Home Park will always be Home Park.

Agree but to add, IMO works best for new stadia like as said previously , The Emirates, I instantly associate with Arsenal. Same with Walkers (Crisps) being synonymous with Leicester, they also had Leicester boy done good - Gary Lineker advertising their product, which maybe heightened Leicester FC’s profile? Also both companies were shirt sponsors as well.

As for Huddersfield (New stadium) and Salford (redeveloped) both stadiums were initially named after the construction companies that built their new stadiums, McAlpine (John McAlpine) and Penninsular.
That was done as a commercial agreements to offset the construction costs. I don’t either have been shirt sponsors also.

Do other fans nationally associate Argyle with Ginsters and vice versa? The pasty is uniquely associated with Cornwall (and Devon, don’t want to start another debate) and originates from the region.
If any company fits best for naming Home Park it would have to be: Ginsters Home Park.
How much money that would be worth to the club I could not say but agree with other posters more likely tens of thousands not hundreds.

BT Cellnet stadium no longer sponsored is it? Think they were also the shirt sponsor for them too.

Stokes ground was originally sponsored by the building society but still retained the name for many years after they dissolved, and the turf accountants taking over, luckily for them it was a decent sounding name.

As for Argyle whoring out the ground or stands that is a massive no for me so I would support a crowd funder to retain the proper name. I wonder how much it would cost to get the god awful Ginsters logo off and pay to have unsoiled shirts?

I take it you don’t mean remove the logo entirely, because that’s never going to happen is it. I mentioned on here before that some clubs do give the option to buy the new shirt without the sponsors logo on it. Last season, I paid £60 for the privilege.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Mark means exactly that DGO. Reality isnt the point. Mark would only be happy if we had 11 Plymothians running out on a Saturday in an all standing Home Park probably using a leather ball and without substitutes.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Devongreenowl":581gnt78 said:
And at least Ginsters is a nationally recognised name with at least an element of credibility, even though I don’t much like their pasties. I can remember having to walk around with Chupa Chups on a replica shirt many moons ago (not Argyle). Embarrassing or what!?! :facepalm:

Well I daresay nobody could guess which team it was!! :lol:

Did they get a lot of lolly tho'? :coat:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Pogleswoody":lxq96u61 said:
Devongreenowl":lxq96u61 said:
And at least Ginsters is a nationally recognised name with at least an element of credibility, even though I don’t much like their pasties. I can remember having to walk around with Chupa Chups on a replica shirt many moons ago (not Argyle). Embarrassing or what!?! :facepalm:

Imagine what the players felt like! So wearing a shirt with the logo of a famous local pasty maker is really not so bad! I agree that it looks better without the red, for all sorts of reasons. None of us like red do we?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Devongreenowl":6qwfwq6i said:
Pogleswoody":6qwfwq6i said:
Devongreenowl":6qwfwq6i said:

Imagine what the players felt like! So wearing a shirt with the logo of a famous local pasty maker is really not so bad! I agree that it looks better without the red, for all sorts of reasons. None of us like red do we?
Or the pasties

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
IJN":1um9gfqz said:
Balham_Green":1um9gfqz said:
IJN":1um9gfqz said:

Like The Emirates?

What was it before BG?

I've forgotten where Huddersfield play its changed that often ! In fact I'm not sure I ever knew since they left Leeds Rd! As for Argyle would have to be Range Home Park or Next Home Park !!