New season with point deductions? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New season with point deductions?

Jan 2, 2010
Kersie":3mfznpji said:
I reckon we should finish the season....who cares what month...as long as we all stay safe and well...

Just start the next season 'that much later' than it would normally start.

It's an extraordinary situation, player contracts csn be dealt with en mass by the pfa - unless player or club has strong objections.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I’d totally agree with abandoning this season being an absolute last resort.

We’re all emotionally invested in this season, we don’t care about next season. Even if we have to finish it with completely different squads, if the contract extensions are an issue.

Also if this season is voided, what happens to appearances and goals... would they just not have happened? Ryan Lowe has never actually managed Argyle?

The mess of finishing this season is nowhere near as bad as the mess of voiding it.

Aug 13, 2009
You can’t finish the season now and decide it on current positions.
Villa with their game in hand which, if won, would mean avoiding relegation will fight it tooth and nail. All this talk of average points is ridiculous.
The tv companies have paid a lot of money for a full season of fixtures.
When ever we can start again, August, September, we finish the season playing 3 games a week if needed.
Then a two week break and start the new season in October, November if needs be. No Carabo Cup, no FA Cup replays, no other meaningless games.
Two games a week all season if required, everyone will be in the same boat.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
santos73":3adqrbgj said:
You can’t finish the season now and decide it on current positions.
Villa with their game in hand which, if won, would mean avoiding relegation will fight it tooth and nail. All this talk of average points is ridiculous.
The tv companies have paid a lot of money for a full season of fixtures.
When ever we can start again, August, September, we finish the season playing 3 games a week if needed.
Then a two week break and start the new season in October, November if needs be. No Carabo Cup, no FA Cup replays, no other meaningless games.
Two games a week all season if required, everyone will be in the same boat.
Sorry Santos but I don’t agree with that at all. That is not just impractical but IMO more ridiculous than extrapolating from the 75% of the season already played to decide promotion/ relegation etc. You can’t just force players (or indeed managers & staff) to stay beyond their due contract dates then play - what 3, 4, 5? games a week to meet a re-invented & totally arbitrary schedule – which by the way then screws up the following season. They’re not slaves – they’re contracted employees. OK - so you could say the clubs have to make do with whoever they can cobble together to complete this fag-end of the season but how is that fair – finishing with a quite different squad to the one that played the other 75%? Would richer clubs be free to nick players from poorer rivals just to ruin them? No – that’s a nonsense in my opinion.

It’s not great I agree – there is no easy answer if this situation drags on (as I fear it will) – but all clubs had about 75% of the season to stake their claims. Any small discrepancies in games played can be calculated from all those matches they have played. If school kids and students are having their GCSE’s, A-levels and even Degree results calculated based prior performance and prior results then what is so special about football?

GreenBiker

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 24, 2019
Good points raised by many. Especially around education qualifications.
Do people change their opinions with the way some PL teams are furloughing lower paid staff and not the rich players!!!!

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
GreenBiker":1byxjwyr said:
Good points raised by many. Especially around education qualifications.
Do people change their opinions with the way some PL teams are furloughing lower paid staff and not the rich players!!!!

When their attendances are mostly made up of season ticket holders who have already paid up front. So they have had the income.

I’m surprised so many are predicting a late summer/autumn re-start. SAGE, the scientific body advising the government is predicting a 12 month continuation of exceptional measures, which may include no large gatherings. A logical outcome may be that this season therefore recommences in Feb/March next year, when we will simply then play this season’s outstanding games. In effect we would lose next season, not this. Hope I’m wrong, of course.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I too can't see this season finishing. The tennis at Wimbledon has just been cancelled, which was to be held late June until 12 July, so for football too it will be a no go.

As I suggested weeks ago on another thread, better to finish the season as it is, no relegations, no play-offs, just promotion for the teams in the promotion spots (if you have a look at the leagues, games in hand and/or ratios would make very little or no difference to current positions).

Then start a new season whenever it is possible, which may even be a lot later than August.

Stay safe Greens!!

Lousy_Pint":cqdkcofm said:
I too can't see this season finishing. The tennis at Wimbledon has just been cancelled, which was to be held late June until 12 July, so for football too it will be a no go.

As I suggested weeks ago on another thread, better to finish the season as it is, no relegations, no play-offs, just promotion for the teams in the promotion spots (if you have a look at the leagues, games in hand and/or ratios would make very little or no difference to current positions).

Then start a new season whenever it is possible, which may even be a lot later than August.

Stay safe Greens!!

I agree with nearly all this, the only exception being I would play the play-offs before the full season started. There are then no losers only winners, with the exception of the relatively few teams who were confident they would move into the play-off zone over the final ten games.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
mervyn":2cmypyew said:
Lousy_Pint":2cmypyew said:

Stay safe Greens!!

I agree with nearly all this, the only exception being I would play the play-offs before the full season started. There are then no losers only winners, with the exception of the relatively few teams who were confident they would move into the play-off zone over the final ten games.
The thing with Wimbledon is that the physical preparations need to start in April to get the grounds ready and obviously that can't happen so it wouldn't have been feasible even if restrictions were lifted by the time of the tournament.

As for football - No relegations? That would leave the Premier with too many teams and the National League with too few. That could only then be redressed by having no promotion the following season!

I think this season should be finished whenever it can be, with, as you say, no playoffs - just the top three/four going up automatically.
Next season, do the same and minimise cup competitions with perhaps just the FA Cup with no replays, so hopefully the whole league season can be slightly condensed without creating too much fixture congestion. Then back to normal for the following season.

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
Personally I can see the season being made null and void.

I think they have done it in the lower leagues to see what kind reaction there is and also to prepare fans for what I feel is inevitable.

Although I hope its not :scarf:

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
If they void the Prem season how will they decide which teams play in the European competitions next year?
I guess if all european leagues did the same and they then didn't run the Champions and Europa leagues next season then it might work but I really can't see them doing that due to the financial and legal implications.
I still think they'll finish this season somehow and the same will be the case throughout Europe, otherwise the knock-on effects will be too great for too long.

A

argyle8

pilgrimage":2ufevfnf said:
Why not have a 2019/2021 season. 92 league matches in one what would have been two seasons
Interesting idea, could be up to 92 games depending when able to start, maybe 69 games playing each team 3 times.

Sep 6, 2006
themightykeithfear":3l99oqv9 said:
I’m wondering what the downside is of saying league finishes as it stands, promotion as it stands, no play offs, no relegation, no league cup so prem can cope with 22 teams, if they can start by say September. Play off teams will be a bit peeved, but a least worst solution?

Exactly. A no brainer to me. These ideas of a 92 game season etc seem ludicrous. There would be extra games next season which teams would welcome. I think the Prem will want to finish(maybe in July) behind closed doors for the TV money. Cant see much point doing that at our level.