New season with point deductions? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New season with point deductions?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1v4n8hmy said:
themightykeithfear":1v4n8hmy said:
I’m wondering what the downside is of saying league finishes as it stands, promotion as it stands, no play offs, no relegation, no league cup so prem can cope with 22 teams, if they can start by say September. Play off teams will be a bit peeved, but a least worst solution?

Exactly. A no brainer to me. These ideas of a 92 game season etc seem ludicrous. There would be extra games next season which teams would welcome. I think the Prem will want to finish(maybe in July) behind closed doors for the TV money. Cant see much point doing that at our level.

I'm not keen on playing games behind closed doors. You hear people saying "we're in this together" but if they go back without inviting the fans then we definitely wont all be in this together. Football isn't just about the results. If we aren't all invited then scrap it until we are.

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":2u5fnam9 said:
Balham_Green":2u5fnam9 said:
themightykeithfear":2u5fnam9 said:
I’m wondering what the downside is of saying league finishes as it stands, promotion as it stands, no play offs, no relegation, no league cup so prem can cope with 22 teams, if they can start by say September. Play off teams will be a bit peeved, but a least worst solution?

Exactly. A no brainer to me. These ideas of a 92 game season etc seem ludicrous. There would be extra games next season which teams would welcome. I think the Prem will want to finish(maybe in July) behind closed doors for the TV money. Cant see much point doing that at our level.

I'm not keen on playing games behind closed doors. You hear people saying "we're in this together" but if they go back without inviting the fans then we definitely wont all be in this together. Football isn't just about the results. If we aren't all invited then scrap it until we are.

So you would rather have no football at all rather than behind close doors on tv at least for a few weeks? Premiership only probably. Not sure of the relevance of 'we're in this together'.

May 8, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":3luytjue said:
Balham_Green":3luytjue said:
themightykeithfear":3luytjue said:

Even when the current epidemic has waned and social distancing guidelines have been relaxed I doubt very much that mass gatherings will be permitted for a very long time because of the fear of a major outbreak. I can’t see people being allowed to attend professional football matches for at least a year or until a vaccine has been produced.
That scenario has grave implications for Club’s finances.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
HC Green":2bu7pza8 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2bu7pza8 said:
Balham_Green":2bu7pza8 said:
themightykeithfear":2bu7pza8 said:

Even when the current epidemic has waned and social distancing guidelines have been relaxed I doubt very much that mass gatherings will be permitted for a very long time because of the fear of a major outbreak. I can’t see people being allowed to attend professional football matches for at least a year or until a vaccine has been produced.
That scenario has grave implications for Club’s finances.

If that were the case, in an ideal world I would rather this season be concluded from March next year and next season be skipped. However of course, many clubs might not still be around to carry that out so has to be a no-no.

Sep 6, 2006
themightykeithfear":vyhbe5dl said:
I think that’s wildly speculative, if we follow the China / s korea patterns in 2 months there will only be a handful of cases that will be isolated and treated. Of course there will be risks but at some point the economic / and mental health consequences of not bringing life back to normality will outweigh the risks. There’s lots of new safeguards on the horizon including an app being trialled in Germany which will quickly identify new cases and contacts. Unfortunately I think the elderly and those with underlying health conditions will have to wait longer to be free of all the measures.

Also if they can ever get the testing regime sorted that would make a big difference and cut down the risks.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
In my original post I said that I thought that Macclesfield's points deduction should carry over if (IF) the season ended without being completed, but said that I could be persuaded that if the results are expunged then point deduction could also be ignored. Not any more!

With Macclesfield again failing to pay wages on time (probably inevitably) then I feel they should be ejected from the league forthwith (if not sooner). Patience expunged!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Bryan_Tregunna":2y6m5we0 said:
In my original post I said that I thought that Macclesfield's points deduction should carry over if (IF) the season ended without being completed, but said that I could be persuaded that if the results are expunged then point deduction could also be ignored. Not any more!

With Macclesfield again failing to pay wages on time (probably inevitably) then I feel they should be ejected from the league forthwith (if not sooner). Patience expunged!

That might be a precedent that the EFL wouldn't want to set what with the current financial climate.