Only 2 teams may be relegated from League 1 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Only 2 teams may be relegated from League 1

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
rsp4":393j96s3 said:
This is exactly why I wasn't celebrating on Friday. Although th season has rightly finished there has been no official announcement on promotions. I think quite a few have jumped the gun. We have to let the suits and so called big 6 (said with a hint of sarcasm :funny: ) in league 1 talk this out.

The fat lady is only warming up and too many people assumed including areas of the press.

Let's see what next week brings shall we :scarf:

Exactly. No point in celebrating until it’s official. A little quiet optimism is always fine though. :cool:

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Our chairman mafe a very sensible statement on Friday pouring cold water on any idea that we'd been promoted, and yet still people raced ahead of themselves to open up the pommaine.
This has a long way to go yet and I can even imagine suggestions of a relegation/promotion playoff between us and Tranmere similar to German football.
I'm afraid geography/ transport connections might be against us here... If league 1 clubs can stop us coming up they will.. No-one wants the expense or hassle of a trip to play Plymouth
The schadenfreude at Exeter's expense might be short-lived yet

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Kersie":3q76nxxk said:
We are Promoted and Bolton,Southend and Tranmere will be relegated....they are only talking about it....League 1 will be talking about all the scenarios....but the bottom line is.....No more football played bottom 3 as they are will go down on PPG....if League 1 starts up again Tranmere might survive.... paranoia is really setting in on some Argyle fans.... :razz:
League 2 set a precedent on Friday by voting not to relegate Stevenage because they were in touching distance of the team above and it was deemed to be a bit harsh and unfair.

Although they appear to accept that Bolton and Southend are deserving of relegation, the League 1 clubs may follow suit with regards to Tranmere due to the similarity of their situation with that of Stevenage.

What’s sauce for the goose and all that...

However, if only 2 come down from League 1 they still need 3 to go up to make up for Bury pulling out.

So would that be the top 3 in League 2 which would be the obvious, most straightforward and uncomplicated way to do it and also the best for us of course.

Or might they still want to have a League 2 Play-off, perhaps involving the 3rd club instead of the 7th club?

There will have to be some accommodation with the League 1 clubs to get a way forward which they will all agree to and Tranmere are going to be in those discussions.

Jul 24, 2009
The Stevenage don't go down scenario feels like a non-starter to me and I suspect will do to the EFL/FA. It opens up a huge number of other discussions like why not reprieve Tranmere, why not reduce relegations from the Championship from three to two, why not cancel relegations altogether.

For that reason my hope is that the EFL resolve at the meeting next week that the number of promotions and relegations are as agreed at the start of the season i.e. as normal apart from the 3 not 4 down from L1 due to Bury's sad demise. You then have a decision as to how to best complete the season with 'sporting merit'. Effectively play the games or go for PPG. I'd be ok with either but for L2 at least the most sensible financially will surely be PPG.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
To be clear, League 2 clubs voted not to relegate the bottom placed side, currently Stevenage (check more punishment for Macc story).

The EFL has to ratify this. If they don't which is quite possible then the 24th placed side will be relegated.

Jul 24, 2009
cheshiregreen":r3loj3gr said:
To be clear, League 2 clubs voted not to relegate the bottom placed side, currently Stevenage (check more punishment for Macc story).

The EFL has to ratify this. If they don't which is quite possible then the 24th placed side will be relegated.
Agreed, what I think is unclear is whether they will review & approve it in parts e.g. agree the season ends on PPG, but say Stevenage must be relegated. Or feel they have to review it as a whole and if they don't like the relegation part push it back to the clubs for them to go over it again.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
up_the_line":2xmzbbvb said:
Our chairman mafe a very sensible statement on Friday pouring cold water on any idea that we'd been promoted, and yet still people raced ahead of themselves to open up the pommaine.
This has a long way to go yet and I can even imagine suggestions of a relegation/promotion playoff between us and Tranmere similar to German football.
I'm afraid geography/ transport connections might be against us here... If league 1 clubs can stop us coming up they will.. No-one wants the expense or hassle of a trip to play Plymouth

I'd suggest you're wrong with that, not so much the away games, but their home games against us is still a pay day for many teams. Would they want to keep Southend in with their handful of travelling fans or the potential 1,500+ Argyle fans who would attend? (I'm discounting the COVID restrictions in this, I'm aware fans won't be immediately available to attend)

Travel wont be an issue in their discussions, they're not thinking about who might come up, its more about protecting themselves and their opportunities.

Peterborough and the like are fighting because they might have a payday of promotion (I figure there's a bigger gap from Championship to L1 than L1 to L2 in terms of TV money), and the bottom teams are fighting to have relegations cancelled so they don't go down.

It's more likely a bit of backhand negotiation will happen with the likes of Southend and Bolton siding with Peterborough et al if they promise to vote against relegations.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
As I mentioned on another thread, I heard that the League One vote went 60:40 in favour of ending the season. This meant that probably 9 teams voted to play the games and Posh and the "Super 6" will have been supported by the three clubs most likely to get relegated.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Willis88":1boq25nn said:
up_the_line":1boq25nn said:

I'd suggest you're wrong with that, not so much the away games, but their home games against us is still a pay day for many teams. Would they want to keep Southend in with their handful of travelling fans or the potential 1,500+ Argyle fans who would attend? (I'm discounting the COVID restrictions in this, I'm aware fans won't be immediately available to attend)

Travel wont be an issue in their discussions, they're not thinking about who might come up, its more about protecting themselves and their opportunities.

Peterborough and the like are fighting because they might have a payday of promotion (I figure there's a bigger gap from Championship to L1 than L1 to L2 in terms of TV money), and the bottom teams are fighting to have relegations cancelled so they don't go down.

It's more likely a bit of backhand negotiation will happen with the likes of Southend and Bolton siding with Peterborough et al if they promise to vote against relegations.

Depends what you think is greater:
The expense of travelling to Plymouth and a hotel for 30-40 people
Or
The amount 800-1000 Argyle fans put in your club's coffers on one occasion during the season
I expect the former out costs the latter

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Hotel for 40 at say £100 each is 4K. Coach hire etc say another couple of grand (I’m guessing there).

1000 Argyle fans paying ÂŁ20 each = 20k, plus refreshments, programmes etc at the ground.

I dont think it’s a money thing. It’s just whether they’d rather not come all the way down here. Anyway, I don’t think it will come to that. We might as well all stop the conjecture and what ifs and wait for the EFL decision. In the EFL we trust :funny: :funny:

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Devongreenowl":26alanxt said:
Hotel for 40 at say £100 each is 4K. Coach hire etc say another couple of grand (I’m guessing there).

1000 Argyle fans paying ÂŁ20 each = 20k, plus refreshments, programmes etc at the ground.

I dont think it’s a money thing. It’s just whether they’d rather not come all the way down here. Anyway, I don’t think it will come to that. We might as well all stop the conjecture and what ifs and wait for the EFL decision. In the EFL we trust :funny: :funny:

Again, what if its zero Argyle fans?

Oct 5, 2013
GreenThing":24kjg02v said:
Just posted this on another thread, but it’s relevant here.

The number of teams being promoted and relegated should not be part of the discussion. Why should one club get a reprieve at the cost of a promoted team, while another doesn’t? The promotions and relegations should be honoured as set out at the beginning of the season, or scrapped altogether.

The only discussion should be on how the final places are decided and what to do with the play-offs.

Well put, entirely agree. Any “jerrymandering” of the promotion/relegation places, just because certain clubs wouldn’t “like” to see this that or the other, would completely destroy the FL’s credibility as a serious competition.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Dreamgreen":162h4tce said:
As I mentioned on another thread, I heard that the League One vote went 60:40 in favour of ending the season. This meant that probably 9 teams voted to play the games and Posh and the "Super 6" will have been supported by the three clubs most likely to get relegated.

The decision needs to be taken out of their hands by an independent 3rd party.

L2 were able to act like reasonable adults and come to a decision, I doubt L1 ever will.

Problem is the only 3rd party in a position to do anything about it is the limp handed EFL board. They'll probably settle for anything L1 proposes rather than battle them.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
up_the_line":1pkzkga5 said:
Devongreenowl":1pkzkga5 said:

Again, what if its zero Argyle fans?

True. But when did that last happen?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Green tint opinion.

It was a travesty that we were the 4th team relegated last season when League 1 only ended up with 23 teams. EFL should have resolved the Bury situation before the 2019/20 season started.
We could have taken over Bury’s fixtures; after all, we had their management team and several of their players.
If we are deprived of our League 1 status again that would be a further travesty.