Pitch being relaid | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pitch being relaid

AdelaideGreen

šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ
Jan 11, 2017
Quintrell_Green":1vafxcqq said:
I expect the remaining League games will be played at Truro's Treyew Park. At least I can walk if necessary. :whistle:

If this were true (in the purely hypothetical world), I hope a greater proportion of Argyle fans would travel to Truro than the "bicycle made for two" that travelled from Truro to Plainmoor whilst that ground sharing was happening. :D

More seriously I think Argyle are comfortable that there will not be a "top 8" playoff - at least not including them - anytime soon.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
WoodsyGreen":3o1iiapd said:
Daz":3o1iiapd said:
Kersie":3o1iiapd said:
I agree it seems a little daft to spend money at the moment...unless someone has donated the cash for free.

That would make no difference to me. Pay your staff first and then spend money on luxuries and also donā€™t ask for donations to prop up your business.

I really canā€™t understand why they would throw money at the pitch.

Is it a luxury though? Without grass we can't fulfill our main reason for being - even if that is restricted at the moment.

I take your point about the staff, but if the pitch isn't looked after then it might cost a lot more to sort out when we finally get round to playing again. They can't exactly furlough the pitch.

We have all seen how good our pitch looked in recent photos. We have the best pitch in the league. Iā€™m sure there was a comment from the groundsman recently saying that we donā€™t need to do anything to it in the summer if games were being played then.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Towards the end of the season there were patches of bare areas on the pitch on the grandstand side, it didn't look very good but then in the recent photos of the fantastic tribute to the NHS the pitch looked perfect.

It could be that there are underlying issues with the pitch that needed sorting while the weather is a mix of wet and dry and before a dry summer or we have a contract (and already paid for) with Inscapes to lay a top dressing of the pitch each close season regardless.

On the face if it and in the current climate of crowd funding by fans it appears to be an unnecessary expense so perhaps the club will explain.

3 March

3 March

13 April

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Iā€™m sure I heard last season that the pitch was on its last legs as far as the viability of it.

Probably planned maintenance brought forward Iā€™d imagine.

Letā€™s face it though, Home Park wonā€™t see football for many many months will it?

Iā€™d also suggest that this is a very good sign for those of us that worry about whatā€™s going to happen long term to our club. With this going on it shows the main men arenā€™t that worried if weā€™re spending money on it.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
IJN":1e4wolje said:
Iā€™m sure I heard last season that the pitch was on its last legs as far as the viability of it.

Probably planned maintenance brought forward Iā€™d imagine.

Letā€™s face it though, Home Park wonā€™t see football for many many months will it?

Iā€™d also suggest that this is a very good sign for those of us that worry about whatā€™s going to happen long term to our club. With this going on it shows the main men arenā€™t that worried if weā€™re spending money on it.

All fair enough mate, but why ask for donations and ask the tax payer to pay 80% of a lot of the staffs wages if they have money to throw around?

Letā€™s get real here, the pitch even when it looked a little bare was still a good pitch. If it were Bradfords field Iā€™d have more understanding of it.

Mar 29, 2020
It sounds like to me that if you put staff on furlough it doesnā€™t mean the club is skint of money at all...it protects the club from becoming skint...so the club still has plenty of money to do things like this... :cool:

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Kersie":2upygfjz said:
It sounds like to me that if you put staff on furlough it doesnā€™t mean the club is skint of money at all...it protects the club from becoming skint...so the club still has plenty of money to do things like this... :cool:

Again that's fair enough and not against the rules (although its a job retention scheme so should be used to stop having to make staff redundant), it just doesn't sit right with me though. Just like with Branson/Levy/Beckham etc etc.

Apr 1, 2017
Probably relaying the pitch now as they won't have the time to do it pre season as it will presumably be a shorter one than normal

May 5, 2006
Could it be happening because the money had already been spent, eg orders placed with suppliers for seed, etc before COVID started?

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
A few thoughts...

I didn't look at it in detail but wasn't the Crowdfunder scheme more a case of getting some cash flowing into the club earlier than it otherwise would? The various packages were actually buying something (kit, hospitality package etc.) just well in advance weren't they, not charity donations.

Putting aside issues relating to social distancing etc. this seems like a perfect time to do infrastructure work of this kind. It is similar to various road repairs (e.g A38) that have been happening recently. Much easier to do now when there is minimal/no use and a large window of opportunity.

Perhaps the work is being done under a contract that was already in place, perhaps even already paid for but at least contracted to be paid for.

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Daz":11fdjasp said:
Kersie":11fdjasp said:
I agree it seems a little daft to spend money at the moment...unless someone has donated the cash for free.

That would make no difference to me. Pay your staff first and then spend money on luxuries and also donā€™t ask for donations to prop up your business.

I really canā€™t understand why they would throw money at the pitch.

Maybe because as I would like a Diston handsaw rather than a nameless Ā£5 effort from Trago, the club would like to give the players the best tools for their job, with the game we play with the players we have, the surface is paramount.

D

Darren Stoneman

For Peteā€™s sake

The crowdfunding money was highlighted for the club to secure business for local suppliers etc and allow them to continue to operate , the spring is optimal growing season so doing the work now will lead to a much better more reliable end product

You have all see how professional Simon H and the CEO are do you not think that they know best!

As someone pointed out earlier this was not donations akin to Administration days but a way of being in cash when it is needed

Well done PAFC keep up the excellent work

Dec 29, 2016
Another point to be aware of is the fact that the planned concerts with Westlife and Little Mix have been cancelled and with the uncertainty of when the season will resume, they see this as an opportunity to get the work done now rather than rush it later

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Also not seeing the issue at all. It obviously needs doing (according to the experts), so it's getting done.

We also don't know the underlying condition of the pitch, we don't know when it was paid for, we don't know if there are suppliers relying on this piece of business to keep going themselves.