Plan to restructure the game | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plan to restructure the game

Old Brown

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 10, 2020
Wadebridge
I will freely admit that as an old duffer I do not find change easy. However, these proposals are just the next phase of the marginalisation of the majority of fans from the sport they love; the perception that football at the highest level started in 1992, the sale of clubs to billionaires and corporations, VAR and now the likelihood of total power of the inner core of the super rich clubs.

As younger fan I harboured the hope of Argyle having one season in the top league. Even with a promising business model, excellent owner, community club feel and a good quality stadium, we are merely, in the eyes of the top core, an insignificant, remote club who should be grateful for what we are given or, in due course, not given from their table. I fear we are heading for the creation of an American style franchise model with, within 5 years, in-play breaks for adverts. Basically a completely different sport.

Feb 27, 2010
Absolutely right, this plan is all about the top six clubs getting richer and sod everyone else, the financial package my seem good now but when the dust settles English football will have been changed forever, Six clubs will be able to vote through anything they want without reference to anybody, and will only look after themselves, this is the first stop on the way to a European Super League, when the wealthiest clubs will finally be able to say goodbye to Burnley, Southampton, Crystal Palace et al and Hello to Barcelona, Real Madrid, Milan , Bayern ETC. It is shameful that these proposals have been put forward at a time when the lower leagues are suffering, Lets hope that sanity prevails and these proposals get kicked into touch .!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
There are obviously some good things in there, 25% of those massive TV revenues is remarkable.

The issue is the voting rights to the big 6 clubs, which is very Animal Farm some clubs are more equal than others.

Football reflects society as always, both getting more unequal by the day.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
I fear the 25% of PL media revenues will just go to players and agents.
Lower leagues should have moth balled themselves for this season. Could be 5 clubs going in to admin before the end of the month.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Can anyone seriously imagine any of the ‘Top 6’ ever being relegated if this comes to pass? They will make damned sure their controlling clout renders that possibility out as just one more step along the road to an NFL-style closed shop cartel. And who the hell gave Parry the right to spout forth on behalf of the EFL without prior consultation and a vote by the clubs? :mad:

So, the inevitable occurs, the top six build up a bigger, more profitable franchise through a European super league. I know that’s not what my Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham supporting family and friends want, but that’s the problem of having foreign owners, whose primary concern is profit, not the sport.

In the meanwhile those owners, recognising the importance of the pyramid to their own long term success donate a huge chunk of their revenue, save the efl, which was already wobbly before the pandemic, and ensure the future of clubs like Argyle. I still don’t read a solid reason for not agreeing to this move, other than the emotion resulting from the rich clubs getting even richer, which simply continues the trend ever since the Premiership was created.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Reading these proposals literally made me want to vomit.

This is a blatant, and frankly insulting, attempt at a power grab by united and Liverpool. And as for Rick Parry he should be fired immediately for providing his backing for it, before even speaking with the club owners he purports to represented.

This is as far removed from the notion of the PL trying to help us in our time of need, as you can possibly get. This is about the big six being in a position to change voting rights in the PL so they can push through an even further uneven distribution of PL funds than we have now.

Liverpool are about to/close to being floated on the stock exchange, as united already are. Both by American owners, with ZERO interest in the heritage of the English game or that of what eventually happens to teams further down the pyramid.

Mr Hallett - you are a brilliant owner, you could acheive a legendary status if you walk a couple of blocks down from your office in Wall Street (or where ever it may be) and politely (or not so politely) tell Fenway Sports Group and the Glazers to fudge Off (sorry in this instance i thought it was deserving and now the swear checker will probably delete anyway.)

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
mervyn":8o7mh3ed said:
I still don’t read a solid reason for not agreeing to this move, other than the emotion resulting from the rich clubs getting even richer, which simply continues the trend ever since the Premiership was created.

If the big 6 have control of the PL, they will be able to force through any changes they like. The supposed 'generosity' of the financial settlement is in reality a means of ensuring the FL will always step into line. What's to stop the Big 6, a season or two down the line, deciding that the 25% is now conditional on accepting B teams into the FL? Or completely restructuring the season to suit exactly their schedules, rather than anything else? Or being able to stipulate in which games their loanees will play and which be rested for? Or anything else? Once the FL clubs are on the financial methadone, they have absolutely no escape. I would rather see Argyle go under and start again as a phoenix club in a new structure than meekly accept this.

If this goes through I am - completely - done with English football. I suspect I won't be the only one.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Manchester United and Liverpool have never been interested in the EFL before, the 'top six' (lol) have never been interested in the EFL before.
But now, when we are at our lowest ebb, they throw a few financial crumbs our way in turn for support for their power grab.

Yes, the £250m and the 25% of future TV deals is enticing but that's the whole point, they want the EFL to agree while we are facing financial oblivion.
Through their financial input the PL clubs will want more say in how the EFL operates - B teams, young loan players forced onto EFL clubs, use of EFL stadiums for PL reserve teams etc.

Rick Parry should be sacked! Just when you thought Shaun Harvey was bad! :lol:

Aug 5, 2015
I’m not so sure I am entirely against this. Firstly it’s quite clear that a number of clubs are facing oblivion and that the government expects football to sort itself out financially. Goodness knows there’s a lot of money floating around in the upper echelons. Secondly for those of us who were football supporters prior to the establishment of the Premier League, football has already been fundamentally changed by the Premiership and their partners in crime SKY. We now have football spread over the whole weekend from Friday to Monday and there’s far less football on the TV these days unless you want to pay for it.
The reality is that the Premiership and Sky already call the shots. Why should it matter if less than a dozen clubs call the shots in the future. What does it matter if there’s a European Super League, it doesn’t affect us at all. And whilst we’d all like to see Argyle reach the pinnacle that’s unlikely to happen any time soon. I’ve been following Argyle for over 50 years and it hasn’t happened yet!
So why deny the Scousers the chance to see Barcelona instead of Fulham. At least the people of Bury might still have a football club.
I don’t see why the EFL Cup needs to be abolished though.why not have that open to only EFL teams and scrap the qualification for Europe. Balloon payments for failure also need to be abolished.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Kentishgreen":3ggw6klm said:
I’m not so sure I am entirely against this. Firstly it’s quite clear that a number of clubs are facing oblivion and that the government expects football to sort itself out financially. Goodness knows there’s a lot of money floating around in the upper echelons. Secondly for those of us who were football supporters prior to the establishment of the Premier League, football has already been fundamentally changed by the Premiership and their partners in crime SKY. We now have football spread over the whole weekend from Friday to Monday and there’s far less football on the TV these days unless you want to pay for it.
The reality is that the Premiership and Sky already call the shots. Why should it matter if less than a dozen clubs call the shots in the future. What does it matter if there’s a European Super League, it doesn’t affect us at all. And whilst we’d all like to see Argyle reach the pinnacle that’s unlikely to happen any time soon. I’ve been following Argyle for over 50 years and it hasn’t happened yet!
So why deny the Scousers the chance to see Barcelona instead of Fulham. At least the people of Bury might still have a football club.
I don’t see why the EFL Cup needs to be abolished though.why not have that open to only EFL teams and scrap the qualification for Europe. Balloon payments for failure also need to be abolished.

Agreed.

Expecting Liverpool etc to give up tens of millions of pounds to clubs like Argyle with nothing in return for them is laughably unrealistic. Why would they do that?

If it's between this and my club going out of business - I'll take this.

On the League Cup - can't they just change it so Champions League participants aren't involved? Wouldn't that be easier?

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
What would be a bottom line for you, Kentish? Would you accept B teams in the EFL? The right of loaning clubs to determine selection policy? Because that is what this proposal means.

I'm all in favour of the Big 6 toddling off to a European Super League, provide they aren't permitted to play in the English domestic pyramid as well.....

East End Green":lvlkj7bv said:
mervyn":lvlkj7bv said:
I still don’t read a solid reason for not agreeing to this move, other than the emotion resulting from the rich clubs getting even richer, which simply continues the trend ever since the Premiership was created.

If the big 6 have control of the PL, they will be able to force through any changes they like. The supposed 'generosity' of the financial settlement is in reality a means of ensuring the FL will always step into line. What's to stop the Big 6, a season or two down the line, deciding that the 25% is now conditional on accepting B teams into the FL? Or completely restructuring the season to suit exactly their schedules, rather than anything else? Or being able to stipulate in which games their loanees will play and which be rested for? Or anything else? Once the FL clubs are on the financial methadone, they have absolutely no escape. I would rather see Argyle go under and start again as a phoenix club in a new structure than meekly accept this.

If this goes through I am - completely - done with English football. I suspect I won't be the only one.

Thank you EEG for at last a rational argument against the move, and this outcome would need to be guarded against. Good points..

Aug 5, 2015
The bottom line for me is that my club survives along with many many others.
Like it or not, in any negotiation, those who wield the power, are in the strongest position. That’s not to say we should accept everything they say and we should make it clear from the outset what our red lines are. The money has to come from somewhere and unless it is given charitably which is unlikely in this case, the giver will want something in return. I’m not saying this is perfect but at least it’s a start. I don’t see anyone else saying anything apart from No!

Kentishgreen":2awlumrg said:
The bottom line for me is that my club survives along with many many others.
Like it or not, in any negotiation, those who wield the power, are in the strongest position. That’s not to say we should accept everything they say and we should make it clear from the outset what our red lines are. The money has to come from somewhere and unless it is given charitably which is unlikely in this case, the giver will want something in return. I’m not saying this is perfect but at least it’s a start. I don’t see anyone else saying anything apart from No!

I agree. It’s a negotiation starting point, and if handled well by the efl there could be cast iron contractual obligations which overcome the obvious perils. If the rest of the Prem can come up with a better alternative then it’s a win win.