Plan to restructure the game | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plan to restructure the game

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
This deal would put the whole of the pyramid under the whim of 9 teams.

Those 9, in control of the 25% payout will be able to unilaterally withdraw money from the EFL if they so wish at any time.

A year or so down the line they'll come knocking, "remember that 25%? Well we've decided we need more for our money, so take B teams of we pull it" or maybe "we're splitting to create a big European league, we've decided our B teams can take our place in the PL and you can have 25% of the now reduced Sky deal"

Accept this and the pyramid is dead. It'll be years before something is rebuilt.

Sep 6, 2006
Willis88":3jggip0d said:

Those 9, in control of the 25% payout will be able to unilaterally withdraw money from the EFL if they so wish at any time.

A year or so down the line they'll come knocking, "remember that 25%? Well we've decided we need more for our money, so take B teams of we pull it" or maybe "we're splitting to create a big European league, we've decided our B teams can take our place in the PL and you can have 25% of the now reduced Sky deal"

Accept this and the pyramid is dead. It'll be years before something is rebuilt.

I wish they would F off and create a European League. In the Summer I was arguing why I ALWAYS support European teams v Prem League teams. Perhaps more get it now.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=111905&start=26

London Cabbie being the biggest dissenter. Because he is not a lower league fan.

TBH if its the only way to keep clubs in business it may have to be accepted. We don't know how many clubs really are close to the wall.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Balham_Green":rwn5vrwv said:
Willis88":rwn5vrwv said:

I wish they would F off and create a European League. In the Summer I was arguing why I ALWAYS support European teams v Prem League teams. Perhaps more get it now.

I'm with you there to be honest, I'm more concerned about what is left behind. Do they cut and run or do they make it harder for the remaining teams to flourish.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
West Ham have come out against it despite being granted special status in the plans.
They say talks have been ongoing since January and this is the 17th proposal!

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
mervyn":2umwg7co said:
Kentishgreen":2umwg7co said:
The bottom line for me is that my club survives along with many many others.
Like it or not, in any negotiation, those who wield the power, are in the strongest position. Thatā€™s not to say we should accept everything they say and we should make it clear from the outset what our red lines are. The money has to come from somewhere and unless it is given charitably which is unlikely in this case, the giver will want something in return. Iā€™m not saying this is perfect but at least itā€™s a start. I donā€™t see anyone else saying anything apart from No!

I agree. Itā€™s a negotiation starting point, and if handled well by the efl there could be cast iron contractual obligations which overcome the obvious perils. If the rest of the Prem can come up with a better alternative then itā€™s a win win.

How do you enforce these cast-iron contractual obligations? In the courts? CAS?

Say a contractual agreement is reached and signed, requiring the PL to meet these financial obligations regardless of changing circumstances and ruling B teams for ever. Everyone is happy. Then, three years down the line, a change of ownership or two at one of the Big 6, and they decide they do want B teams after all. They tell the FL that unless they agree, they turn off the money. The FL go to court, as they are in breach of their contract but - the PL has bigger pockets and is able to drag the court case out for years. Meantime, clubs are starting to go to the wall and pressure is applied to the FL to 'agree a settlement' - a slightly bigger payout with B teams in. With a heavy heart....etc

What's the point in my club surviving if the rules they are required to play under make any sense of meaningful competition risible?

Feb 27, 2010
If this plan gets the go ahead it is an open admission that football as a competitive sport is dead - it will become just another corporate profit vehicle where finance of the top six clubs (Who will control all the votes that will matter ) is paramount and all other football can go hang.

May 16, 2016
The issue is 25% of what, spread how across 72 Clubs ?

The top table clubs will insist on a renegotiated TV deal that will distribute the wealth disproportionately. The actual PL income 25% share might well come from a much reduced pot of money than the one being waved in front of us now.

I just can't see the top clubs being willing to gift away such huge amounts of money without something other than we see offered now. The loss of parachute payments might actually bring about the downfall of more clubs than it saves, that or a totally new type of contract standard develops.

Aug 5, 2015
So as ā€œ the eliteā€ or even the rest of the Premiership, whoā€™ve been totally silent, donā€™t give us money for nothing, whatā€™s the answer?

German Shepherd

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
It states :

ā€¢Ā£250 million immediately to the EFL to compensate its clubs for lost matchday revenue, deducted from future television revenue earnings and financed by a loan taken out by the Premier League.

That sounds to me like that money is going to be offset off future TV money & therefore is more like a loan rather than a cash windfall; or have I read it wrong ?

In any case, the top 6 can do one & go & play with themselves & their European chums. The whole of the League can't be held to ransom from 6 fat cats. This is definitely the thin end of the wedge. Loads of people said that when the U23s started playing in our League Trophy & it's coming to pass.

Mark Smith

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
As a deal in its current shape it seems to be overly simplistic and favouring a naked power-grab by the big 6. However, it's a starting point for negotiations, and while it's clearly opportunistic, that doesn't mean it is devoid of merit. Indeed, it was probably meant to be only a starting point.

I'd be more concerned if I were one of the also-ran clubs in the PL. But down at our level most of the arguments against seem to revolve around the moral hazard of entering into an agreement where the other party can subsequently alter the terms or make further demands.

When such risks are apparent but there is a basis for a deal then the hard part is finding legal or win-win safeguards to protect the agreement reached or cancel it at the expense of the defaulting party. For example, if you think the value of the Sky deal could fall in future as the big clubs look elsewhere, then you push not for a share in that but for a share in those clubs' total broadcast revenue streams, securitised and held by the EFL.

Rather than the proposal being rejected out of hand it should be seen as a first step. Clubs that go out of business in the spring won't thank us for not at least trying to find a compromise now.

Sep 6, 2006
Billyboy":2kbep3zj said:
If this plan gets the go ahead it is an open admission that football as a competitive sport is dead - it will become just another corporate profit vehicle where finance of the top six clubs (Who will control all the votes that will matter ) is paramount and all other football can go hang.

You mean that isn't already the case?!

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
Mark_Smith":35n1ikp6 said:
As a deal in its current shape it seems to be overly simplistic and favouring a naked power-grab by the big 6. However, it's a starting point for negotiations, and while it's clearly opportunistic, that doesn't mean it is devoid of merit. Indeed, it was probably meant to be only a starting point.

I'd be more concerned if I were one of the also-ran clubs in the PL. But down at our level most of the arguments against seem to revolve around the moral hazard of entering into an agreement where the other party can subsequently alter the terms or make further demands.

When such risks are apparent but there is a basis for a deal then the hard part is finding legal or win-win safeguards to protect the agreement reached or cancel it at the expense of the defaulting party. For example, if you think the value of the Sky deal could fall in future as the big clubs look elsewhere, then you push not for a share in that but for a share in those clubs' total broadcast revenue streams, securitised and held by the EFL.

Rather than the proposal being rejected out of hand it should be seen as a first step. Clubs that go out of business in the spring won't thank us for not at least trying to find a compromise now.

I'm afraid I think that is hopelessly naive.

There are no practical safeguards, legal or otherwise, that would prevent the PL tearing up any agreement or seeking to modify it at a later date. As long as they control the purse strings of the FL they can do just exactly whatever they want. And they will. The scandal of EPPP- where they threatened to end solidarity payments of the FL didn't agree - the B teams fiasco, the changes to Cup competitions to accommodate their concerns about fixture congestion, all demonstrate that they will do whatever it takes to get their own way.

The best solution - the only solution, really - is for the FL to cut their financial dependence on the PL.

Stuart House

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Disappointing to see the club have taken a positive stance on this already.

Might be a good idea to listen to the fans before throwing all their support behind it.

Stuart House

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
What people need to realise is 25% of sod all is sod all.

Give the top six a sniff at a European Super League and they will jump. The PL tv deal will then plummet.

Aug 5, 2015
This is getting a bit like Parliament and Brexit, everyone knows what they donā€™t want but no one knows what they do want.