Players not rated at Argyle but excel elsewhere | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Players not rated at Argyle but excel elsewhere

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Ryan Leonard

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
lyndhurst green":a32uqxdu said:
The-Pilgrim":a32uqxdu said:
Conor Hourihane

Bloke who sat by me back then nicknamed him Captain Crab, as all he seemed to do was pass the ball sideways.

Hourihane was a nightmare in that Admin Argyle team. He wanted to play a game that no-one else in that team could see or adapt to; primarily due to the rag and bone recruiting at the time.

He was clearly a brilliant player but without anyone sharing his vision or having the ability to take the ball forward from his crab passing it just invited pressure.

I liked the bloke, thought he would go a long way (further than he has), but my goodness those days were frustrating.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
I remember a lot of people on here laughing when Fletcher said he would build a side around Hourihane. There were certainly a lot of people who didn't rare him.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Could you say Andre Blackman? Okay he hasn't "excelled" anywhere since, but given how bad he was here, he is still playing in the football league.

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
lyndhurst green":18874dxj said:
The-Pilgrim":18874dxj said:
Conor Hourihane

Bloke who sat by me back then nicknamed him Captain Crab, as all he seemed to do was pass the ball sideways.
He certainly did but was that because of the way the manager had told him to play? On the odd occasion when he played positively I thought he looked pretty good.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":x2wv8xdn said:
Marc Edworthy ... no pace!
Good shout really. Only 69 games in 4 years at Argyle but won promotion to the Premier League with Palace, Wolves, Norwich and Derby. Although he did suffer relegation from the PL with Palace, Coventry and Norwich.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Presto":3v4tzot1 said:
Must be a lot of players who fit this category - goes to show that fans are not always the best judges.

When it comes to football I'd say probably 90% of fans know very little about it. (not claiming that I do btw).

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
I wonder how many that used him as a scapegoat would have Mellor back now.

The-Pilgrim":2p6z6d7s said:
Army green":2p6z6d7s said:
The-Pilgrim":2p6z6d7s said:
Conor Hourihane

He was our best player at the time. Hardly not rated when he was reluctantly sold as the player wanted to leave.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember a lot of people on here not being overly upset when he left.

You're not wrong, he was often slated here.

I see we're releasing Callum Rose too. Will he be on this list one day? Another Leonard? Time will tell.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I note that some of the names bandied about on this thread were players sold to raise capital, when Argyle were short of it. Others were sold in order to allow players to achieve their potential at a higher level than Home Park could provide. These personnel wee a long way from being 'not rated', which is the main thrust of the heading.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
gaspargomez":2lr9vy8m said:
Garry Nelson
Not rated at Argyle??? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Not necessarily underappreciated as such but I don't think any of us were aware how good of a player Ben Gibson would become. Him and Hourihane are the only two players from that season who really have excelled since leaving Argyle.