Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 57 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Steve Mccall (My Lord!) was 32 when he first signed for us, 40 when he played his last game.
I thought he was OK as far as 'past it' players go!! :nworthy:

Anyway I want Pugh signed, great name for a limerick!! ;)

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Martyn":rbqy29aq said:
Doubt it, age (34), is against him.

So younger players who are rumoured to be signing are either not good enough or too injury prone.
He's good enough and not injured but he's too old??

Really??

Too old for a couple of seasons in midfield in League One?

So, at what age does a good player suddenly become old, past it and useless?? :think:

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Pogleswoody":12w12ux6 said:
Martyn":12w12ux6 said:

So younger players who are rumoured to be signing are either not good enough or too injury prone.

Really??

So, at what age does a good player suddenly become old, past it and useless?? :think:

Cough - Nardiello

Aug 5, 2016
Pogleswoody":2pfov0bg said:
Martyn":2pfov0bg said:

Really??

Best ask Shrewsbury. They had him last season, he had 6 starts, 2 sub appearances and never played again after December.

His short term contract ended in January and for some reason wasn't renewed. He never found himself a new club in the new year.

Aug 5, 2016
Emu":u9q3d1yb said:
Lord Nalis joined us at 34 and a half. He was not too bad.

Ryan Lowe hasn’t signed a first team player over 32 yet, and even that was only very recently. Before that his oldest first team regular was possibly the 28 year old Danny Mayor.

Lowe prefers youth and potential over professionals coming down the leagues looking for one last deal. Otherwise we’d have probably signed Pugh in January of last season if he liked the look of him.

The age range of his defenders seems to have gone from 20-22 to 25, 26, 26 and 32.

James Wilson is by far the oldest player he has signed in three transfer windows, clearly to address the void in leadership and experience that was obvious for most of last season. The rest of them have been signed coming in to their physical prime (27 - 30), the years when we will get the best out of them.

I really can’t see Lowe signing 34 year olds in his team, but I’m sure he would consider it if Bonucci or Chiellini decided money was immaterial and they fancied a move to the Devon coast.

May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
Mark Pedlar":38i42sd4 said:
Pogleswoody":38i42sd4 said:
Martyn":38i42sd4 said:

Really??

Cough - Nardiello

I raise you David Fox good sir. :D

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
If we are after a winger, I suggest we ask about Brennan Johnson (now back at Nottingham Forest) on loan.
I would rather he earned penalties for us rather than for our League 1 opponents.

Aug 5, 2016
Pogleswoody":1w1ijdxp said:
Martyn":1w1ijdxp said:

Really??

The players wear vests which give them all the statistical data of how rapidly their sprint times, stamina and KMs per game are changing on a game by game basis.

Manchester City found Aguero was getting injured more frequently and for longer so decided to let him go. Then he walks into the open arms of Barcelona who can’t believe they have signed a world class striker for free.

Time will tell who was right because Aguero won’t be there on cheap wages. Does he have a 50 game season in him? If he only plays 25 matches, is that sensible value for money - when another striker aged 24 could have played double the games, scored double the goals and then been sold for €200m?

These are the same things Lowe needs to assess before signing a 34 year old player. Longevity, physical prime, injury record, pace levels, distance covered, matches fit and available for, value for money. Not many players aged 34 will be as competitive in these areas as when they were 26.

As for Lilian Nalis, we could also refresh our memories of how the Taribo West signing panned out. He was living proof that time catches up with players of even World Cup pedigree when that fat non-league Barnet striker gave him the runaround and completely embarrassed him.

Kevin Gollop

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":zr6w4l26 said:
As for Lilian Nalis, we could also refresh our memories of how the Taribo West signing panned out. He was living proof that time catches up with players of even World Cup pedigree when that fat non-league Barnet striker gave him the runaround and completely embarrassed him.

To be fair Taribo was about 54 when he joined us! :lol:

Aug 5, 2016
Well the question was at what age does a player suddenly become past it?

He is an extreme example of a player who didn't want to acknowledge his professional playing days were over, gone from playing alongside Ronaldo and Shevchenko to being embarrassed by non league Grazioli.

As I think I said last night, the players wear vests which will give the coaching staff a raft of information about their fitness speeds and levels and how comprehensively/rapidly it is declining.

Nov 18, 2011
davie nine":2lom30br said:
If we are after a winger, I suggest we ask about Brennan Johnson (now back at Nottingham Forest) on loan.
I would rather he earned penalties for us rather than for our League 1 opponents.

I anticipate given his successful season at Lincoln, Johnson will be in the Forest first team next season.