Pompey - free transfers? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pompey - free transfers?

Nov 9, 2008
Quinny":2gd31lmm said:
The more I think about it, the more this story will run and run. There are massive implications for the other clubs in the Premier League if Pompey were to go into liquidation and all results were null and void. Manure got two big wins against them, so they'd lose 6 points from their current total (as would Chelski and all the other teams who picked points up against Pompey will) and the'd be worse off in the goal-difference to Chelski too. Liverpool actually lost to Pompey, so they'd actually be better off (they wouldn't get extra points, obviously, but they won't lose as many points as the other "big hitters"). At the other end of the table, Wet Sham most definitely would not want Pompey to fold as they'd lose the points they had picked up and would drop to the bottom of the table.

The other clubs - and the Premier League itself - has a lot to lose if Pompey go under. In some form or another they'll get a "get out of jail" card, assuming they don't go into administration, as that's the last thing Balram Chainrai wants right now.

Of course they'll get out it. They're a football club- no, more than that- they're a Premier League football club. Who cares what they do with their money, it doesn't matter. They'll get let off somehow, the Premier league will foot the bill to HMRC or something.

Disgraceful, let them fall. Shame for the fans, but someone has to go which will make people sit up and take notice that you can't spend money you can't pay back.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
mde203":2nauzy8f said:
This stupid saga has really turned football into a complete and utter joke for me. For God's sake, what other business could get away with all this? They should be out of business now. Football needs a wake up call, and this should be it.

They should not be allowed to sell players outside of the window, they should not be given special treatment because they are a Premier League side, and they should not be given any hand outs.

They got themselves into this mess, they need to either find a way out, now, or go out of business. Get back into the real world and realise that this kind of crap won't sell.

Make an example of them. No-one ever wants a football club to go out of business, but it needs to happen.

The real world is that if the powers that be don't want them to go out of business they won't - just like the banks who got themselves into a mess and were bailed out.

R

Rupert

IJN":3e6fotp4 said:
I saw a ex Pompey player at Argyle on Tuesday night.

He said his name was something like Oni Bass (he was Nigerian I think), and said he would be playing for us soon.

I never mentioned it before, because I can't find any reference to him anywhere, but he was talking to Tony Campbell for quite a while.

Anyone else know anything about him?

Yes. He's a left-back who has played in South Africa. He isn't Nigerian or South African, but from another African country. He has a UK work permit and is a free agent. There'll be stuff about him in the local press on Monday, which is why I'll say no more at present.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Rupert":2c01s2p3 said:
IJN":2c01s2p3 said:
I saw a ex Pompey player at Argyle on Tuesday night.

He said his name was something like Oni Bass (he was Nigerian I think), and said he would be playing for us soon.

I never mentioned it before, because I can't find any reference to him anywhere, but he was talking to Tony Campbell for quite a while.

Anyone else know anything about him?

Yes. He's a left-back who has played in South Africa. He isn't Nigerian or South African, but from another African country. He has a UK work permit and is a free agent. There'll be stuff about him in the local press on Monday, which is why I'll say no more at present.

Hello all, been lurking for a while but I've worked out who this guy must be, so as good a time as any for a first post:
Onismor Bhasera

C

carlos

How many players can a club loan out? is there a limit?

Surely if they cant sell then they can loan with the option to buy at the end of the season,

i.e. James to Argyle for 500k with a buy fee of 300k at the end of the season.

D

deanthegreenmachine

spoons":20useqm5 said:
That's the grimmest outlook for Pompey so far. Palace opted for administration presumably as they think someone will come in and buy whats left. From this article it looks like administration is not an option for Pompey either they pay HMRC or its liquidation and no Pompey anymore.

Also think palace knew they may have a fighting chance, however no buyer has been found and i expect some big news out of palace this week, they currently dont have the finance required to run the club....

Mar 7, 2009
deanthegreenmachine":1s7nq56e said:
spoons":1s7nq56e said:
That's the grimmest outlook for Pompey so far. Palace opted for administration presumably as they think someone will come in and buy whats left. From this article it looks like administration is not an option for Pompey either they pay HMRC or its liquidation and no Pompey anymore.

Also think palace knew they may have a fighting chance, however no buyer has been found and i expect some big news out of palace this week, they currently dont have the finance required to run the club....

What's the news gonna be?

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
It certainly has mystifies me as to how you continue to run as going concern having £34M in debts.

While its not good news if you are a Palace fan it could be good for us. Players will be able to walk away if they don't get paid and in the worst case they will go into liquidation and none of their results will count and we only got 1 point off them way back in August with a goal from Timar of all people.

Could the chickens finally be coming home to roost for these clubs that have lived beyond their means?

Mar 11, 2008
Bsingstoke
As has been said, you have to feel for the fans.

However, something has to happen and the more high profile the better. Pompey or Palace or (hopefully) Cardiff. In all liklehood, it will just be someone like Chester but football cannot carry on like this. Imagine if any of us owed 1/100th of what these clubs owe the taxman. HMRC is desperate to prove a point and I hope they do....ideally to Palace and Cardiff to help our plight this season but especially Pompey as the premier league and its clubs need to face up to the reality of running a business.

G

Greenskin

spoons":203e179j said:
It certainly has mystifies me as to how you continue to run as going concern having £34M in debts.

While its not good news if you are a Palace fan it could be good for us. Players will be able to walk away if they don't get paid and in the worst case they will go into liquidation and none of their results will count and we only got 1 point off them way back in August with a goal from Timar of all people.

Could the chickens finally be coming home to roost for these clubs that have lived beyond their means?

Doubt it.Football clubs have been living beyond their means since time immemorial.In the 70's it was Chelsea,Sheffield United,Luton,Orient,in the 80's Bristol City,Swansea,Cardiff,Derby [our cup QF against them was in doubt at one time because of their financial problems] and so on through to the present day.There always seems to be some mug/chancer/multi millionaire prepared to bail them out and it would not surprise me one jot if Pompey/Palace/Cardiff etc survived their current crisis and went on to be stronger for coming through it.As another poster suggested earlier,there may be a political element behind a "big" club survivng these problems-it certainly seems to be clubs lower down the scale who suffer the ultimate penalty,as Accrington Stanley,Newport,Bradford Park Avenue,Maidstone and Aldershot have found out.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Greenskin":2w9kvgxb said:
spoons":2w9kvgxb said:

Doubt it.Football clubs have been living beyond their means since time immemorial.In the 70's it was Chelsea,Sheffield United,Luton,Orient,in the 80's Bristol City,Swansea,Cardiff,Derby [our cup QF against them was in doubt at one time because of their financial problems] and so on through to the present day.There always seems to be some mug/chancer/multi millionaire prepared to bail them out and it would not surprise me one jot if Pompey/Palace/Cardiff etc survived their current crisis and went on to be stronger for coming through it.As another poster suggested earlier,there may be a political element behind a "big" club survivng these problems-it certainly seems to be clubs lower down the scale who suffer the ultimate penalty,as Accrington Stanley,Newport,Bradford Park Avenue,Maidstone and Aldershot have found out.

Times have changed since people went round with a bucket to help clubs out of debt. The levels of debt have risen beyond all proportion as have the salaries driven by investment from the richest people in the world who weren't interested before big TV money.

Watch the goings on at Palace this week - Warnock hinted tonight that things are far worse there than people think. The days of the local businessmen owning their club have gone and no-one is interested in bailing out that sort of debt for an unsustainable business now it seems.
Why would anyone want to buy any of those clubs?

G

Greenskin

spoons":qhfjn51v said:
Greenskin":qhfjn51v said:
spoons":qhfjn51v said:

Times have changed since people went round with a bucket to help clubs out of debt. The levels of debt have risen beyond all proportion as have the salaries driven by investment from the richest people in the world who weren't interested before big TV money.

Watch the goings on at Palace this week - Warnock hinted tonight that things are far worse there than people think. The days of the local businessmen owning their club have gone and no-one is interested in bailing out that sort of debt for an unsustainable business now it seems.
Why would anyone want to buy any of those clubs?

Well,we shall see.Agreed that times have changed greatly but even back in those days,clubs over stretched themselves by a long way-remember the Ashton Gate eight,who were signed up on massively lucrative long term contracts when Bristol City were in the first division and in the end had to be paid off at a fraction of the value of those contracts? Many clubs also got into trouble through building new stands [Sheffield United and Chelsea in particular] and i think it took more than a bucket being passed around to get them out of it.

May 22, 2006
Babararacucudada":3qws5zy6 said:
http://babararacucudada.blogspot.com/2010/02/administration.html

You seem pretty confident that Portsmouth will go out of existence. The South African interested in buying the club now says he can't do it before the winding-up, so it's looking increasingly likely.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Looks like its administration now rather than liquidation. Any potential owners are hardly likely to come in now as I assume as it will cost them a lot less after they have written off all their debts for a 9 point deduction.

Sky News