Pompey | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pompey

G

Gareth Nicholson

mikey":16k8o26y said:
Did you say toothless or useless :twisted:

Thing is, it's OK getting angry at it, but the chances are you've bought into it. Whether you've got a subscription to Sky Sports, or even watched a game at a pub, 'the fans' have provided a market and the insatiable demand coupled with ego-massaging acclaim that rich men look for. Some people on here are still, even on the face of the huge amount of evidence to the contrary, saying that we should have spent big a couple of years ago, because 'we could have done a Hull or a Burnley'. Yeah, I'd love to do a Hull. Selling your club's long term survival for a 2-season scrap book.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Jack Cock":k4yojgjk said:
I wonder if this is to help make sure Pompy finish the season?

The PL and FA Cup would be in disarray if they went bust.

Who gives a damm they brought it on themselves and should pay the price :twisted:

Plympton Pong":qej5zt9n said:
Jack Cock":qej5zt9n said:

Take a bow young sir. Nail, head.

Thanks! Nothing to back it up mind and no comment on the rights and wrongs. If they went bust now it would be a hell of a mess to sort out. Reading between the lines of the bbc story I wonder if there is slightly more of a mess than first thought (if that is possible). Could it be that they are being nursed through until it is no longer the PL's problem?

I imagine they are desparate to make sure the season finishes with 20.

Seem to remember someone else on here posting similar?

(Edit to correct shoddy typing)

Dec 18, 2008
Im not sure who will take the option of paying for players now, when they are not going to be sure of their next seasons budget. If clubs have money left they will be in a minority. My understanding is that clubs will have to pay unfront before they join on the 1st of July. Thats all very well, but what if the players value significantly drops between payment and July.

i.e. club of the top of my head.

Sunderland ask to buy (Portsmouth biggest assest, which is understood to be) Belhadj. they pay 4m to gazump other interested parties.

Portsmouth receive their money to pay creditors, fine I have no problem with that.

But....

Belhadj now breaks both his legs playing at the world cup. Sunderland have now lost all the transfer fee and potentially a player for 18months.

Do the pros out weigh the risks for clubs to be intrested in securing their players. Im sure no top clubs with expenidble budgets will be swooping around, so it seems a large risk for these smaller clubs.

Z

ZZZZArgall

It's about time that at the start of each season each club provides a report to prove that it is solvent enough to compete in the Premier and FL.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Argall":1vatl4cv said:
It's about time that at the start of each season each club provides a report to prove that it is solvent enough to compete in the Premier and FL.

That would be difficult because a club could win or loose money with flooting supporters. the only way they could achieve that option would make club season ticket only. :)

C

carlos

why worry?

Pompey are going down, so they can sell some players and pay off their debts, only helps financially and does not benefit them.

So they will loose players, so less better players available to help get any points.

Although you could then argue that they will now be fielding weaker teams in the final games as players leave, if another team hopes they steal wins to help the other team win the prem or remain in the prem, so could have an influence in that way.

Plus you no the rules, one rule for the Prem and another dependant if they like you or not for the rest.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Babararacucudada":33yxnk7o said:
The transfer window is either UEFA or FIFA policy. No matter what the PL wants to do it has to be granted special permission because the transfer window is an international thing.

So if Pompey are allowed to sell then is there any restriction on who can buy?

More to the point who do they have that will raise much of a fee? Belhadj has been mentioned... I'd offer the admin guy £50k for him and the admin guy will leap at it to get him off the wage bill. This might save them a small fortune but it will not make them much.

As for the chaos in the PL... Their record would simply be expunged; it would be as though none of their games ever happened and carry on.

The FA cup is an interesting one. Would the SF opponent get a bye or could we have an uncontested Cup Final...

Pompey could yet be wound up but it won't happen whilst they are still in the cup because that is the only way then can expect to generate cash.

For generate cash read trade whilst insolvent - yet another thing they seem to be getting special dispensation for. Why weren't Chester allowed to do these things?

Couldn't the Football League refuse to admit them?

P

Paul_Roberts

Plympton Pong":4ht91l1i said:
Jack Cock":4ht91l1i said:

Sorry, but it's not really, is it?

People have a grievance with the Premier League bending the rules for one of their clubs, when the Football League has not (and would never be allowed to) get away with this kind of muscle-flexing.

Any club going into administration jeopardises the division it plays in - be it Football League or the Premier League. Chester have just flunked out of the Conference, but that league hasn't fallen into disarray has it?

The Premier League don't care about Pompey buggering up the league so much as the global reputation of the so-called 'Richest League On Earth'.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Paul_Roberts":28z3g9oh said:
Plympton Pong":28z3g9oh said:
Jack Cock":28z3g9oh said:

Sorry, but it's not really, is it?

People have a grievance with the Premier League bending the rules for one of their clubs, when the Football League has not (and would never be allowed to) get away with this kind of muscle-flexing.

Any club going into administration jeopardises the division it plays in - be it Football League or the Premier League. Chester have just flunked out of the Conference, but that league hasn't fallen into disarray has it?

The Premier League don't care about Pompey buggering up the league so much as the global reputation of the so-called 'Richest League On Earth'.

Are you saying that all their rules and regulations are just bullpoo and crap and not worth the paper they are written on? :eek: :eek: :eek:

P

Paul_Roberts

spoons":9xyprn9s said:
Babararacucudada":9xyprn9s said:
The transfer window is either UEFA or FIFA policy. No matter what the PL wants to do it has to be granted special permission because the transfer window is an international thing.

More to the point who do they have that will raise much of a fee? Belhadj has been mentioned... I'd offer the admin guy £50k for him and the admin guy will leap at it to get him off the wage bill. This might save them a small fortune but it will not make them much.

As for the chaos in the PL... Their record would simply be expunged; it would be as though none of their games ever happened and carry on.

The FA cup is an interesting one. Would the SF opponent get a bye or could we have an uncontested Cup Final...

Pompey could yet be wound up but it won't happen whilst they are still in the cup because that is the only way then can expect to generate cash.

For generate cash read trade whilst insolvent - yet another thing they seem to be getting special dispensation for. Why weren't Chester allowed to do these things?

Interesting thought, spoons. But it'll never happen in a million years.
The Premier League is desperate to go it alone and make its competition a closed shop - if the Football League refused to admit Portsmouth, that would be all the excuse the PL would need to push ahead.

Besides, I think I'm right in saying that the Premier League currently hands out a 'goodwill' donation hat among its member clubs, which is then distributed among Football League clubs along with a pat on the head.

No, Portsmouth will come down next season with new owners, debts wiped out due to administration, and a big, fat parachute payment.
Just try and tell me that football in this country isn't completely and utterly twisted.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Paul_Roberts":144y95q3 said:
spoons":144y95q3 said:
Babararacucudada":144y95q3 said:

Interesting thought, spoons. But it'll never happen in a million years.
The Premier League is desperate to go it alone and make its competition a closed shop - if the Football League refused to admit Portsmouth, that would be all the excuse the PL would need to push ahead.

Besides, I think I'm right in saying that the Premier League currently hands out a 'goodwill' donation hat among its member clubs, which is then distributed among Football League clubs along with a pat on the head.

No, Portsmouth will come down next season with new owners, debts wiped out due to administration, and a big, fat parachute payment.
Just try and tell me that football in this country isn't completely and utterly twisted.

You could add dishonest

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
Gareth Nicholson":b5a0hb70 said:
mde203":b5a0hb70 said:
WHAT?!?!?!? What a joke. When were Chester allowed to do this? Or Leeds? Or Bournemouth/Southampton/Crystal Palace? Ridiculous, football is a complete joke nowadays, what a load of planks running this game.

The decision about Portsmouth was made by the Premier League. None of the other clubs you mentioned were in the Premier League when they went into administration, therefore the situation never arose. The governance of football is a mess at the moment, and it does raise serious questions about where the game is going, but in this instance the comparison isn't really valid.

The point though is Gareth (is that first or third person - lenjoyed your joke on another thread), is that it could have an affect on the Championship. What would happen is a Pompey player was sold to a Championship club and the player scored a goal that changed the the league tables. A team could go up or down as a result of this.