Positives if we are relegated | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Positives if we are relegated

Jan 6, 2004
I doubt very much that we will sell out many home games in the championship next season if we continue to struggle. Don’t forget ST holders bought their tickets before this season commenced on the back of last season’s promotion. How many of the “new “supporters will renew their ST based on what they have witnessed since Christmas at a presumably higher cost ?Only time will tell.
Agree, but I will have a Gentleman's bet with you season tickets will sell out again if we stay up.

Sep 6, 2006
No, they are not unproven. Relegation does not mean every player in the team is not proven to be championship standard. Cooper Whittaker Hardie and Gibson have proven they are (Cooper knocking on door of PL standard). Jury out on a handful of others. Some plainly are not.
Whittaker and Hardie proved it for half a season when they had Azaz with them. Since then they have been L1 level

Jan 6, 2004
Not betting but not sure what you mean when you say ST’s will sell out.Didn’t know we have 16,500 ST holders.
I mean what I say. Season tickets will sell out. Obviously if the club was not confident about filling the home end every week with the couple of thousand seats they hold back to sell on a match by match basis they would sell more season tickets.

"not betting"?? A gentleman's bet is not really a bet, just a way of saying well lets see who is right!

Jul 6, 2005
How can you possibly know that” the days of Argyle only getting 12 -13000 at this level are long gone wherever we are the table” We have had sell out crowds because we have enjoyed unprecedented success in the past few seasons and there has been the novelty factor. If we are relegated or struggle again in the championship the size of the crowd is more likely to be decided by who we are playing. It is not short sightedness by the club but ,unlike many fans, a desire to keep us sustainable.
Oldie, I know you feel very passionate about Argyle and have done for very many years.

However, your relentless negativity has become tedious.

Sep 28, 2022
The main positives for me would be that weekends will no longer, hopefully, be dark periods of gloom in an otherwise fantastic time in my life and hopefully I can enjoy my wife, s company again on a Saturday evening instead of going to bed early in order to avoid any football on the telly!.

Reactions: oldage
Jan 11, 2016
Having spent the week following the erudite debate prompted by the original post I have to say that I have seen no reason to change my initial gut reaction which was - None!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The one positive I can think of, is that we may get a bit of breathing space to build a potential Championship ready team without the pressure of actually being in the Championship. Basically an opportunity to do what Ipswich did.

Depending on investment and player transfer fees plus increased revenue, we should be in a much better position to do that than two years ago.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Not betting but not sure what you mean when you say ST’s will sell out.Didn’t know we have 16,500 ST holders.

They will put a cap on them again like they did for this season

Reactions: oldage
Jul 12, 2016
I mean what I say. Season tickets will sell out. Obviously if the club was not confident about filling the home end every week with the couple of thousand seats they hold back to sell on a match by match basis they would sell more season tickets.

"not betting"?? A gentleman's bet is not really a bet, just a way of saying well lets see who is right!
Fair enough. A gentleman's bet it is!

Oct 10, 2018
As has been very apparent all season, the Championship now is a different Division to what it was the last time we were relegated.

Also, crowds are generally up at all levels, including Non-League. The days of Argyle only getting 12-13000 at this level are long-gone, wherever we are in the table.

We needed a 22000 capacity stadium this season and because we don't, we have lost a lot of money, as we will again next season if we stay up.

I know people will say we can't afford it and it's easy to spend other people's money, etc. etc. But our short-sightedness in failing to plan for success will continue to damage us. The failure of planning includes the lack of corporate facilities as well.

We have had a sell-out season but our average gate should have been around the 20000 mark at least.

Without a major benefactor, it's hard to see us becoming a sustainable Championship club on 16500 gates.
Ummm Luton, Bournemouth, Blackburn, Wigan all reached premiership with attendances less than the 16500