Post Gillingham- DA thoughts | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Post Gillingham- DA thoughts

Jul 6, 2005
Knibbsworth":2phvn9g6 said:
Yes. Defenders not heading out set pieces is not something DA can do for them. If he tells them to mark certain players and they have lapses of concentration, at some point the players have to take responsibility. We were completely in control today and decided to let them have two free goals. So frustrating. The Edwards and Sarvevic misses were massive.
Who signed the players, who coaches the players , who is in charge of all football matters?

Just what we need in a desperate relegation battle needing to win 1 and draw 1 of our last 3 games, the Manager throwing his players under the bus in public in a desperate attempt to cover for his own woeful performance.

Sarcevic in particular has been poo for weeks but Adams picks him regardless, as he will do again on Monday.

As for being in complete control, that was only in the first half. Their Manager saw the problem, made the substitutions and the tactical changes and the rest is history. If only we had a Manager who was as pro-active as that who could actually affect the outcome of matches instead of one who just stands there and let’s things happen.

For the umpteenth time in the past 4 seasons, Adams was out-coached by his opposite number.

Feb 10, 2019
What we don’t need to hear at this moment is comments like there isn’t enough time to do anything about our defending or our lack of finishing. With three games to go and being in the position we are in, he needs to be making positive comments about preparations for these games, even if personally he doesn’t think there is much we can do.

He gives off the impression that he has run out of ideas, which is very worrying considering the position we are in.

Sep 3, 2009
Knibbsworth":2h22y7ui said:
Yes. Defenders not heading out set pieces is not something DA can do for them. If he tells them to mark certain players and they have lapses of concentration, at some point the players have to take responsibility. We were completely in control today and decided to let them have two free goals. So frustrating. The Edwards and Sarvevic misses were massive.

So true. When the Edwards chance went begging I thought ‘that goes in, it’s the game - no way they come back from 0-2’.

Edwards’ miss was forgivable - he’s a lumbering centre back. Sarcevic’s had me spitting fire. How much more on a plate did he want it?

We are profligate up front and leaky at the back. We look like relegation fodder.

Don’t know about anyone else, but if we go down i’m not sure I can be bothered with another haul back from League 2. We deserve better than that.

Aug 5, 2016
demportdave":13leraa9 said:
Knibbsworth":13leraa9 said:
Who signed the players, who coaches the players , who is in charge of all football matters?

Just what we need in a desperate relegation battle needing to win 1 and draw 1 of our last 3 games, the Manager throwing his players under the bus in public in a desperate attempt to cover for his own woeful performance.

Sarcevic in particular has been poo for weeks but Adams picks him regardless, as he will do again on Monday.

As for being in complete control, that was only in the first half. Their Manager saw the problem, made the substitutions and the tactical changes and the rest is history. If only we had a Manager who was as pro-active as that who could actually affect the outcome of matches instead of one who just stands there and let’s things happen.

For the umpteenth time in the past 4 seasons, Adams was out-coached by his opposite number.

So it is Sarcevic's turn now? Last week it was Macey and Canavan who were to blame. I can't keep up with what all the obvious solutions are that DA keeps ignoring.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Knibbsworth":10mywshy said:
demportdave":10mywshy said:
Knibbsworth":10mywshy said:

So it is Sarcevic's turn now? Last week it was Macey and Canavan who were to blame. I can't keep up with what all the obvious solutions are that DA keeps ignoring.

What is your assessment of the season?

Good, poor, average?

Has the squad performed to it's potential?

We are playing in the 3rd tier and biting our nails hoping to stay in it.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Macey 5
Letheran 6
Sawyer 6
Edwards 5
Wooton 3
Canavan 5
Oscar 4
ASB 5
Songo’o 6
Ness 5
Fox 6
Sarcevic 4
Ruben 7
Carey 6
Ladapo 7
Taylor 5

Adams 4
Wotton 4

Seasons performance 4

That’s mine

Jan 27, 2012
Adams went down in my estimation when he decided to stop giving interviews to the Herald. That type of behaviour doesn’t do him or the club any favours. They need to get something from the Barnsley game otherwise it’s looking like a dangerous situation.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
cheshiregreen":i7f8pb44 said:
Knibbsworth":i7f8pb44 said:
demportdave":i7f8pb44 said:
Knibbsworth":i7f8pb44 said:

Good, poor, average?

No response Knibbsworth?

You usually have an opinion.

I will go first then. ;)

in my opinion a poor season whatever happens now. Not starting a discussion on blame now but, some of players recruited in summer were not as good as ones we lost. For whatever reason, we have too often defended poorly and being overly reliant on Ladapo and Lameiras for goals. The midfield fails to contribute enough goals to the cause.

So a poor season for me.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Poor? Try absolutely sh*te :thumbdown:

The stubborn refusal of some on here to countenance that the manager may be somewhat to blame for our predicament is quite incredible.

Aug 5, 2016
cheshiregreen":2z5hzs40 said:
cheshiregreen":2z5hzs40 said:
Knibbsworth":2z5hzs40 said:
demportdave":2z5hzs40 said:
Knibbsworth":2z5hzs40 said:

Good, poor, average?

No response Knibbsworth?

You usually have an opinion.

I will go first then. ;)

in my opinion a poor season whatever happens now. Not starting a discussion on blame now but, some of players recruited in summer were not as good as ones we lost. For whatever reason, we have too often defended poorly and being overly reliant on Ladapo and Lameiras for goals. The midfield fails to contribute enough goals to the cause.

So a poor season for me.

I agree it has been a poor season. Not particularly good quality football, not the most entertaining.

But after Halloween and Christmas it was apparent our squad wasn't the best. The dynamics among the new players wasn't right compared with what was there last season. It was going to take a hard effort to avoid relegation.

Adams was getting abuse but I think he showed he still commands the respect of the players by getting us up to midtable in a short space of time, and that good run shows the players can do it too.

Has this squad performed to its potential? Probably for a few months on our good run. When we looked confident we saw the potential of the team, outplaying numerous sides, but it was all largely on the back of Lameiras's purple patch. When Ruben is struggling to have an influence, Carey is looking a shadow of the player he has been, and there is no dribbling creative maestro who can pass, shoot and be a problem for the opposition. Our other midfield options are Ness, Sarcevic, Fox and Songo'o, and whilst Songo'o has had a good season he doesn't stand out for his creative flair. The others just haven't had good seasons by the standards they have set in previous years, they put in a tackle, move the ball on and that's about it.

We are a midtable quality team on a good day. But we are in a bad run. We never got outplayed yesterday, but we lost the crucial battles. I don't think you can vilify Adams for players not doing their jobs at set pieces, or for Sarcevic missing an open goal. When you are in good form, these things take care of themselves. Add Edwards's chance and we made three clearcut goalscoring opportunities, only taking one, whilst irritably gifting three at the other end through individual mistakes. You change manager when you are not making opportunities at all, rather than having being edged out in a close game. There was a lot of pressure on that game and it got to our players more than it got to theirs in the second half - whether that is the manager's fault or an opportunity to examine the mentality and focus of some of the players is up to you. Two popular scapegoats who can't be blamed are 'two goal Macey' and Niall Canavan who were taken out of the firing line possibly due to popular demand. It makes the sometimes spiteful attacks on them seem very unnecessary all of a sudden.

Looking ahead I think we desperately need to get into the summer and have a reshape of the squad. Virtually every player bar Ladapo, Lameiras and Threlkeld could be moved on to free up wages for better replacements. Depending on the contracts situation, the potential to overhaul the squad and turnaround our fortunes is massive. But we desperately need to stay up in the next three games and that is DA's first objective.

Aug 17, 2011
London
Someone wrote earlier that DA isn't as smart as he thinks is- I'd go with that, couple that with poor /non existent recruitment you're left with a couple of games to go and in deep deep s***

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
If he'd got the job a week or so ago then yes it wouldn't have been enough time to coach them how to defend.

If he'd got the job in February, it probably won't have been enough time to coach them to defend on a consistent basis but they'd put in the odd good game.

If he'd got it in December, one transfer window is perhaps a lot to expect a manager to overhaul the whole defence and goalkeeper set-up.

Derek Adams didn't get the job a week ago, he didn't get it 3 months ago, he didn't get it 6 months ago. He has had 4 years in the role, this defence is the product of 4 years work under his management.

You can't excuse him on the basis that they were all signed in the summer, his management approach creates a high turnover in staff, it's not a one-off. If you wish to keep players on short deals and below par wages then you have to be prepared for them to leave and you have to be very good at lining up and recruiting replacements. He doesn't do that...

4 years of his stewardship, this is the product, these defenders, playing the way they are is what he can produce. Drink it in people!

Every year is a gamble, there is no plan, no strategy, he isn't building a team and he isn't aiming for something concrete. Every year it's pot luck who stays, every year it's pot luck who he brings in. He excuses himself with talk of the budget and getting his 5th 6th choices all the time. That's no excuse! The budget wasn't news to him; we haven't suddenly become frugal, he's known what he's had to work with for 4 years. If he's only getting his 5th choice why the hell is he setting his sights 5 players higher? Why is he wasting his limited scouting time on players well out of our price range? Why is he panic buying at our own price range? It's the same price range we've had for 4 damn years!

In short Derek, if you couldn't coach this mob how to defend properly in the 9 months you've had them, why the bleddy hell did you sign them in the first place? :furious:

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Thanks for responding Knibbsworth.

Fair assessment I'd say.

However if players are feeling pressure we have a difficult 270 minutes ahead. Unless we can get a result Monday, I can't imagine how they will be feeling next weekend at Accrington.

Real chance it might be our last away game in League one for the foreseeable future. :sad:

Mar 1, 2008
Ollieargyle9":2xfbh2si said:
If he'd got the job a week or so ago then yes it wouldn't have been enough time to coach them how to defend.

If he'd got the job in February, it probably won't have been enough time to coach them to defend on a consistent basis but they'd put in the odd good game.

If he'd got it in December, one transfer window is perhaps a lot to expect a manager to overhaul the whole defence and goalkeeper set-up.

Derek Adams didn't get the job a week ago, he didn't get it 3 months ago, he didn't get it 6 months ago. He has had 4 years in the role, this defence is the product of 4 years work under his management.

You can't excuse him on the basis that they were all signed in the summer, his management approach creates a high turnover in staff, it's not a one-off. If you wish to keep players on short deals and below par wages then you have to be prepared for them to leave and you have to be very good at lining up and recruiting replacements. He doesn't do that...

4 years of his stewardship, this is the product, these defenders, playing the way they are is what he can produce. Drink it in people!

Every year is a gamble, there is no plan, no strategy, he isn't building a team and he isn't aiming for something concrete. Every year it's pot luck who stays, every year it's pot luck who he brings in. He excuses himself with talk of the budget and getting his 5th 6th choices all the time. That's no excuse! The budget wasn't news to him; we haven't suddenly become frugal, he's known what he's had to work with for 4 years. If he's only getting his 5th choice why the hell is he setting his sights 5 players higher? Why is he wasting his limited scouting time on players well out of our price range? Why is he panic buying at our own price range? It's the same price range we've had for 4 damn years!

In short Derek, if you couldn't coach this mob how to defend properly in the 9 months you've had them, why the bleddy hell did you sign them in the first place? :furious:

:iagree:

The problem is Adams