Purrington signs for Rotherham - confirmed | Page 32 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Purrington signs for Rotherham - confirmed

E

Electronic

X Isle":3tpr2byn said:
Electronic":3tpr2byn said:
X Isle":3tpr2byn said:
Stan":3tpr2byn said:
Not happy about this, shortsighted IMO.
On his part, yes.

On Argyle's part, no.

He is out of contract in the summer. Sure he's U24 and any fee would go to a tribunal. However, we 'only' got £200k odd for our captain with over 100 appearances. We would surely have got less for an 'in and out' player over the last few years who has only just broken into being a regular.

If the fee is bigger than we got for Curtis Nelson then Argyle would be stupid to turn it down, ESPECIALLY as he wanted to go. The alternative would be to match the offer in a contract renewal, that would be suicide for team morale as he, at 20 would be the highest paid player on the longest contract.

They are in a desperate position so offered a desperate price, he is apparently desperate to go too. There was no alternative.

It is a shame 'one of our own' wants out. But we want players at Argyle who WANT IN.

We move on :scarf:

Missing the point.

The worrying thing is that he wanted to leave in the first place. Why doesn't Argyle feel like a better option to Purrington than Rotherham? Could it be Mickey Mouse contract offers?

Purrington today, Carey tomorrow?

I can't be flippant about one of our brightest prospects - especially a youth product - so desperate to get away.

Crap news.
Nope, i'm not missing any point.

We could navel gaze while mulling over WHY it happened for a lifetime. The point I was responding to was WHAT Argyle did about the set of circumstances as presented.

Stan said it was shortsighted, I explained why it clearly wasn't. No point missed by me, the point was missed by him. I mean, quite WTF else were Argyle supposed to do?

So you won't hear any calls from me for an inquisition as to what motivated his desire to leave, it's bleedin obvious*. No point wasting time over it, we regroup behind the COMMITTED players and move on to Yeovil :huddle:

*It calls to mind Mrs Merton's question to Debbie McGhee..."So, Debbie, what was it about the millionaire Paul Daniels that first attracted you to him"? :lol:

Yeah, bigger picture missed

Feb 28, 2016
Somerset_Pilgrim":1y9h6xul said:
Always a shame to loss one of the bright young lads. Understand looking for a new challenge - but to leave halfway through the season at a moment you're in contention to win the league seems a bit odd to me. Especially swapping for a grim relegation battle. Surely experience winning the league/promotion will be something to look back on more fondly in the retirement years. Absolutely, money is a factor. But so is professional accomplishment. Must have his reasons though so I hope he does well.

We have a solid replacement in Sawyer. Another of own own so all good in my book. Any of the young lads ready to step up as cover for Sawyer?

Ready made replacement in Jack Calver, 19 on a pro development contract which should be made up to a full professional contract immediately IMO. Lets show we value the talent we've nurtured to hopefully reduce the future risk of them leaving at the first available opportunity. First year Ryan Law is also a left back and for my money has been a real stand out player in his year.

If what Tynanwozgr8 is true (and from what I remember from previous post he would know, no reason to doubt him) about England then that is unforgivable of the club. It is regrettable we didn't et more out of him that season he was overlooked by Sheridan and how he was second fiddle last season and dropped after he played so well against Exeter in the LDV.

I would however distance my self from saying he wasn't "one of our own" or couldn't be because he was from Exeter, I bear in mind his brother is about to embark on an apprenticeship with us and sentiment like that isn't going to be helpful or endear him (and other lads from around that way in the setup) to us.

R

Robbie64

Gosh thats 2 million in the transfer kitty for next season lol eembley 500k cup run 1 million nelson200k&ben 300k.oh silly me we have bought blissett15k & av to pay for some plastic cladding &seats for grandstand refurb.sorry budget gone!! Sad losing good players to my father in laws smaller club

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Robbie64":3fpu2cjc said:
Gosh thats 2 million in the transfer kitty for next season lol eembley 500k cup run 1 million nelson200k&ben 300k.oh silly me we have bought blissett15k & av to pay for some plastic cladding &seats for grandstand refurb.sorry budget gone!! Sad losing good players to my father in laws smaller club
You'll probably get ridiculed for that! But not by me!

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Mork":38426aw4 said:
Adam_R":38426aw4 said:
Ade the green":38426aw4 said:
gaspargomez":38426aw4 said:
Why is it that Argyle sell players for £200,000 to £300,000 whereas they only seem to sign free agents or players on free transfers from other clubs (usually those unwanted by their parent club).

Yet teams of a similar size to Argyle (including those in League Two) seem to sign players for transfer fees who are actually WANTED by other clubs. Why do we have to always buy players no-one else wants.

And WHY did Purrington want to leave ? Are Argyle only prepared to offer uncompetitive wages ? How are the club going to reach the Championship if this pattern continues into the future ?

I get criticised for making these comments, but surely these are reasonable points ?

I will be happy if these cut price players get us up and out of this league and so will you I suspect. If Derek can do it on the cheap then it might well mean the club is saving some money for when we really have to push the boat out. Hopefully next year, and DA will have a bit of a war chest before the ST money rolls in.

I don't think the signings have been too shabby and he's certainly added more steel to the side. Only time will tell of course.

He should be applauded for building a team competing at the top of the budget on free transfers IMHO. In the lower leagues there really isn't a need to pay transfer fees. If we can assemble a squad on the cheap and cash in on players when the opportunity arises that sounds like a good business model to me. Geez, its nice to know our players are actually worth something these days rather than just seeing out their contract with us and drifting off in the abyss such as the last 5/6 years.

Maybe Ben's move will show others that Plytmouth isn't a bad club, even if it is a stepping stone. Come here, prove yourself and move on. Win-win for both parties.
Good business. Why do you care? I wish we could concentrate on football, again we've failed to hold onto a player we need. Were only second in the league, and most people are only concerned whether its a good deal for the club. How can it be?

Football business models:
Increase revenue/cash from ticket sales
Increase revenue/cash from player sales
Increase cash from sugar daddy

Feel free to add some more if you have them Mork.

We nearly went t!ts up because we had no cash, no players to sell and no sugar daddy to bail us out. This shows we are moving forward. That is why I care, I want Argyle to succeed but that will take time. Selling a 20 year old left back who wanted away isn't the end of the world. That cash will come in useful. But why blob money on players just because we can, when it is feasible to build a successful squad with players on free transfers? Maybe we have another BP in the youth set-up who can be an understudy to GS for the rest of the season and in 18 months is also worth £300k (maybe more if we are in L1). That's the club gradually getting back on a sound footing.

My question to you would be "why don't you care?"

May 8, 2011
TynanWozGr8":oif0vbxg said:
No matter how long he's been at the club he is not one of our own - he's from Exeter

£650K would have been very good business above market value

£300K depends on sell on clauses but not so happy - but he wanted to go so only one outcome

I believe he was previously refused permission by the club to attend England U18 squad, was not told of a premier league clubs interest in him and was overlooked by Sheridan when the regular left back was injured and played another player out of position sending him a clear message - so may have understandably lost a bit of loyalty to the club

Was on p1ss poor wages and a one year contract. Has a big wage increase and three year deal - can't blame him and good luck to the lad.

But Rotherham - REALLY - perhaps a stepping stone but nothing else and we will hopefully see him next season back at Home Park

If the club was looking to build a squad and plan for long term success then surely he, and some of our other players, should have been offered better deal in terms of salary and contract length. This is the most disappointing part - we should be investing some of the additional money tying up existing players to avoid the ridiculous high turn over of players every close season.

If he's been offered a bank busting deal that we could not match then he had to go - but please lets give improved terms to our remaining best players now

Under Adams, Argyle don't seem to have a problem getting players here. He must be very persuasive to overcome the rubbish pay we offer and our outpost status and a genius to build a promotion chasing team on rejects and journeymen cast offs.

May 8, 2011
Robbie64":378kkvzc said:

Wish list of things to spend the money on:
Transfer fees
Wages : bigger squad, higher division.
Stadium maintenance: working through the backlog of repairs.
Grandstand refurb.
Upgrading and increasing the capacity of back office infrastucture.
Upgrading training facilities.

Nov 25, 2008
Puddletown
We also have to remember that as a league 2 club we are under a salary cap of 55% of turnover. Championship clubs do not have such a salary cap, but a "loss limit" of £13 million a year before sanctions. We aren't operating on the same playing field as Rotherham, and couldn't compete on salary even if we wanted to.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Adam_R":2y1jwnno said:
Mork":2y1jwnno said:
Adam_R":2y1jwnno said:
Ade the green":2y1jwnno said:
gaspargomez":2y1jwnno said:
Why is it that Argyle sell players for £200,000 to £300,000 whereas they only seem to sign free agents or players on free transfers from other clubs (usually those unwanted by their parent club).

Yet teams of a similar size to Argyle (including those in League Two) seem to sign players for transfer fees who are actually WANTED by other clubs. Why do we have to always buy players no-one else wants.

And WHY did Purrington want to leave ? Are Argyle only prepared to offer uncompetitive wages ? How are the club going to reach the Championship if this pattern continues into the future ?

I get criticised for making these comments, but surely these are reasonable points ?

I will be happy if these cut price players get us up and out of this league and so will you I suspect. If Derek can do it on the cheap then it might well mean the club is saving some money for when we really have to push the boat out. Hopefully next year, and DA will have a bit of a war chest before the ST money rolls in.

I don't think the signings have been too shabby and he's certainly added more steel to the side. Only time will tell of course.

He should be applauded for building a team competing at the top of the budget on free transfers IMHO. In the lower leagues there really isn't a need to pay transfer fees. If we can assemble a squad on the cheap and cash in on players when the opportunity arises that sounds like a good business model to me. Geez, its nice to know our players are actually worth something these days rather than just seeing out their contract with us and drifting off in the abyss such as the last 5/6 years.

Maybe Ben's move will show others that Plytmouth isn't a bad club, even if it is a stepping stone. Come here, prove yourself and move on. Win-win for both parties.
Good business. Why do you care? I wish we could concentrate on football, again we've failed to hold onto a player we need. Were only second in the league, and most people are only concerned whether its a good deal for the club. How can it be?

We nearly went t!ts up because we had no cash, no players to sell and no sugar daddy to bail us out. This shows we are moving forward. That is why I care, I want Argyle to succeed but that will take time. Selling a 20 year old left back who wanted away isn't the end of the world. That cash will come in useful. But why blob money on players just because we can, when it is feasible to build a successful squad with players on free transfers? Maybe we have another BP in the youth set-up who can be an understudy to GS for the rest of the season and in 18 months is also worth £300k (maybe more if we are in L1). That's the club gradually getting back on a sound footing.

I care very much, trust me. We don't need to sell BP, our business model meant we had a surplus, which is great.
I don't believe selling our young telented players is the way forward.
Ifs,buts, feasible, good business. Heard it all before. If we'd offered Ben enough, in terms of money and contract length, do you think he'd be off to Rotherham?
I understand your point, but we need to move on from the admin days.
It's holding back to many, it's also an easy fall back in a debate.
If your happy in league 2, so be it.

R

Robbie64

Hey 45yrs supporting argyle we know whats coming lol.during the 70s.80s.&90s we would only buy to try & stay up usually!! We have a fantastic fanbase which has always been let down .so they stay away & come out for big games.things are decided without supporters input(eg that drab green we wear now bring back are proper green surely thats stapletons ?)wouldnt it be nice to have 3or 4 good ££££ signings to really get fans buying season tickets.show intent to suceed & fans will flock.look at burton which has a populstion of say plympton but they are forward thinking wanting to push on & not just survive

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Robbie64":2saja8th said:
Hey 45yrs supporting argyle we know whats coming lol.during the 70s.80s.&90s we would only buy to try & stay up usually!! We have a fantastic fanbase which has always been let down .so they stay away & come out for big games.things are decided without supporters input(eg that drab green we wear now bring back are proper green surely thats stapletons ?)wouldnt it be nice to have 3or 4 good ££££ signings to really get fans buying season tickets.show intent to suceed & fans will flock.look at burton which has a populstion of say plympton but they are forward thinking wanting to push on & not just survive

I don't think it's realistic that we could have 3 or 4 good ££££ signings. Hanging on to our young telented players? Absolutely, it's the future.

Feb 8, 2005
Mork":1ebo60wv said:
Adam_R":1ebo60wv said:
Mork":1ebo60wv said:
Adam_R":1ebo60wv said:
Ade the green":1ebo60wv said:
gaspargomez":1ebo60wv said:

I care very much, trust me. We don't need to sell BP, our business model meant we had a surplus, which is great.
I don't believe selling our young telented players is the way forward.
Ifs,buts, feasible, good business. Heard it all before. If we'd offered Ben enough, in terms of money and contract length, do you think he'd be off to Rotherham?
I understand your point, but we need to move on from the admin days.
It's holding back to many, it's also an easy fall back in a debate.
If your happy in league 2, so be it.

Yes of course he would be. His ambition is to play in the Premiership and he's not going to get there by staying with us, is he?

He is also using Rotherham as a stepping stone, of course. He's young and he has every right to try to get to the top as best as he sees it. His uncle will be giving him every bit of his experience, and he is still young enough to get there.

WE might want him to stay, but he will do what is best for HIM, and that's the way it should be.

If we hadn't had the last six years then WE might be the Championship club and he would probably be happy to stay a few years more with us, but we are NOT. Administration put paid to that.

For those that say that was in the past, well we are still feeling its effects and we will continue to do so until we get back to the Championship ourselves.

Fact of life, people, and talent will find its own level, with or without a home club.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Just one question Jimsing, what's your plan for returning to the championship, when we keep selling our better players.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Mork":1cjed7oa said:
davie nine":1cjed7oa said:
Yes we could, Mork, apart from McHugh and Nelson. The others weren't really wanted because DA wanted HIS squad. I don't believe that he wanted to keep any of the others.

I also believe that the Board trust him to the extent that they will not interfere or refuse his reasonable requests.

That's why they gave him a 4 year contract.

Who do you think he wanted to keep?

He offered them terms, if he didn't want them, why offer terms? As well as Nelson, i think he wanted to keep, Hartley, Wilde & Reid. I accept the McHugh situation.

I think that DA's explanation of today's events with Ben Purrington should convince you that HE ALONE decides what happens as far as ins and outs with regard to the playing budget are concerned.

'Justanotherfan's' (and others) theory has been confirmed today by the manager himself. No doubt, you will still maintain that he wanted to retain Hartley, Wylde and Reid but, if so, there is sufficient evidence to prove you were WRONG, including a chance meeting that 'Jaf' had with Hartley's dad.