Purrington signs for Rotherham - confirmed | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Purrington signs for Rotherham - confirmed

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Whatever happens, unless you're Real Madrid/Chelsea/Bayern Munich etc there's a food chain in football, and someone will always be along to pinch your better players. I'm glad we've finally got some players worth pinching. We'll always lose players to bigger clubs (although I'm far from convinced that Rotherham fall into that category), it's what you replace them with that matters. I give you Southampton, or even Exeter for that matter.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Old Gunner":3ocn9np6 said:
Would be a crying shame if he went--but the boy has talent. Bit of a gamble on Ben's part as the chances of Argyle getting promoted and Rotherham getting relegated are fairly evenly balanced, but if he was to get a considerably bigger wage then I guess it's a risk worth taking.
According to Skybet, Argyle are 5/2 on to be promoted and Rotherham are 250/1 on to be relegated.

I wouldn't call that 'evenly balanced'. You would have to put on £5 to win £2 if you believe that Argyle will be promoted and £250 to win £1 if you think Rotherham will be relegated. If you think that Rotherham will not be relegated you can get 66/1 against.

It is obvious that the bookies believe that it is very likely that Argyle and Rotherham will both be in League 1 in 2017/18.

If I were him, and obviously depending on the terms, I would leave. He would surely be getting more money, but more important than that is the experience he would get for the next 4 months playing at a level 2 divisions higher than he is at the moment.

If, and it looks like when, they do get relegated, then he will still be at the same level as he would would be with us if, and when, we get promoted, while all the time getting more money.

A shame for Argyle, but in DA we appear to have a manager who is just as canny as Paul Sturrock. If it's a good enough deal for DA, then it's a good enough deal for me.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
davie nine":1h1llgem said:
Old Gunner":1h1llgem said:
Would be a crying shame if he went--but the boy has talent. Bit of a gamble on Ben's part as the chances of Argyle getting promoted and Rotherham getting relegated are fairly evenly balanced, but if he was to get a considerably bigger wage then I guess it's a risk worth taking.
According to Skybet, Argyle are 5/2 on to be promoted and Rotherham are 250/1 on to be relegated.

I wouldn't call that 'evenly balanced'. You would have to put on £5 to win £2 if you believe that Argyle will be promoted and £250 to win £1 if you think Rotherham will be relegated. If you think that Rotherham will not be relegated you can get 66/1 against.

It is obvious that the bookies believe that it is very likely that Argyle and Rotherham will both be in League 1 in 2017/18.
The bookies didn't think Trump or Brexit would happen.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
davie nine":tm3gi9m2 said:
Old Gunner":tm3gi9m2 said:

Wrong way round Davie.

5/2 is 2 quid to win 5 back and 250/1 is 1 quid to win 250 back.

So the bookies don't see Rotherham as "favourites" to get relegated...do they have an influence on what goes on once the white line has been crossed on a Saturday afternoon?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
...or that the Tories would win an outright majority at the last election; but you wouldn't have got 66/1 against any of those things happening.

If he does go, he should be MUCH more ambitious than Rotherham.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Andy_S":2jtix04k said:
davie nine":2jtix04k said:
Old Gunner":2jtix04k said:

Wrong way round Davie.

So the bookies don't see Rotherham as "favourites" to get relegated...do they have an influence on what goes on once the white line has been crossed on a Saturday afternoon?

Look again, Andy.

Jul 3, 2013
Andy_S":3jpq4rwb said:
davie nine":3jpq4rwb said:
Old Gunner":3jpq4rwb said:

Wrong way round Davie.

Or then again it is 100% correct as 5/2 on is 2/5 and 250/1 on is 1/250 !

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
davie nine":3qqyat3w said:
Andy_S":3qqyat3w said:
davie nine":3qqyat3w said:
Old Gunner":3qqyat3w said:

Wrong way round Davie.

Look again, Andy.

Too much sun mate!! Soz! :lol:

Oct 21, 2015
This is a strange one....normally the January window is used by struggling teams in all divisions as a last throw of the dice to try and save their season. If argyles and Rotherham situations were reversed would we not be questioning why we are spending that sort of money on a young player from a lower league side with loads of potential but still learning his trade. Hardly a quick fix. If this rumour proves to be true I believe DA would only sanction it if it is in the best interests of argyle both financially and player replacement at this crucial stage of the season.

Aug 26, 2011
pastiesforlife":1i8am0i0 said:
Shrewd move for Argyle to offer his younger brother a contract last week- surely will influence him to stay. Maybe a different matter if a big club shows interest.

Tom was offered a contract last season when Southampton offered him a trail

Nothing to do with his brother - earnt on own merit

Feb 21, 2011
There is no way Argyle would or should turn down 650k for a full back, all the arguments given against are based on sentiment, gents full backs are two a penny we could spend a fraction of that adequately replacing him in my opinion.

Aug 22, 2006
We are not in admin now. New dawning. 1 million please. Minimum. Championship team desperate for reinforcements. We don't need to sell highly talented youngster. Actually 1.5 million should do.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

BadBoy":3a118wco said:
There is no way Argyle would or should turn down 650k for a full back, all the arguments given against are based on sentiment, gents full backs are two a penny we could spend a fraction of that adequately replacing him in my opinion.

An argument not based on sentiment is that he is only going to get better, i.e. he'll be worth more in the summer.

Also if they are two a penny why don't Rotherham go and pick one up and save themselves a few hundred grand?