Q & A New Media set up. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Q & A New Media set up.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Are the club planning to have the service up and running for the pre-season friendlies as field test events prior to the starting of the season proper?

Kevin Gollop

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
s.whitey92":38wzqr0b said:
As other users have said, Chromecast functionality would be amazing on the streaming app

+1 to this! Should be a no brainer in this day and age for any modern streaming service

Oct 5, 2013
ChepstowGreen":o6qusqea said:
I think this is a great move and I would certainly back up other calls to make the service more complete in terms of match streaming with chat pre match, half time and at full time.

My question is will the club's commentary team feel free to criticise performances, or maybe tactics, if and when appropriate?

Understandably being employed directly by the club, and having strong relations therefore with those in the club, would make anybody feel reticent to publicly question certain players/spells of games, etc, but it's really essential to the fan base, I think, that the club encourage the commentary team to say what they like at all times without it being held against them. It's just opinions at the end of the day!

Please don't take this as a dig at the comms team currently who do good job, it's just an observation really that sometimes really laboured performances aren't 'called out' as they may legitimately be, which can make watching (or listening) even more frustrating than it already is.

I support this question.
My way of putting it would be to ask whether the commentary team will be permitted to make critical comments where appropriate and be more like ordinary commentators, rather than trotting out nothing but meaningless platitudes when we are playing poorly making them sound like some sort of propaganda machine (which I don’t especially enjoy).
In a home crowd a mixture of praise and criticism goes on, and I’d like to see the commentary mirror this more.

Mint Green

🇨🇾🇨🇾🇨🇾🇨🇾🇨🇾
✅ Evergreen
Nov 21, 2014
Firstly, as an ex-pat residing abroad in Cyprus I believe I have received good value for money with my ifollow season ticket this season. At the bare minimum, can this new service provide us with the same package inclusive of all home and away games?
Will you also be able to provide us with a streaming service for the Cup games?
When will we be informed of the costings for the new package?
Finally I have enjoyed the main commentary of Rob McNichol this season and would be happy for him to continue again next season and beyond.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
philevs":34082yal said:
ChepstowGreen":34082yal said:
I think this is a great move and I would certainly back up other calls to make the service more complete in terms of match streaming with chat pre match, half time and at full time.

My question is will the club's commentary team feel free to criticise performances, or maybe tactics, if and when appropriate?

Understandably being employed directly by the club, and having strong relations therefore with those in the club, would make anybody feel reticent to publicly question certain players/spells of games, etc, but it's really essential to the fan base, I think, that the club encourage the commentary team to say what they like at all times without it being held against them. It's just opinions at the end of the day!

Please don't take this as a dig at the comms team currently who do good job, it's just an observation really that sometimes really laboured performances aren't 'called out' as they may legitimately be, which can make watching (or listening) even more frustrating than it already is.

I support this question.
My way of putting it would be to ask whether the commentary team will be permitted to make critical comments where appropriate and be more like ordinary commentators, rather than trotting out nothing but meaningless platitudes when we are playing poorly making them sound like some sort of propaganda machine (which I don’t especially enjoy).
In a home crowd a mixture of praise and criticism goes on, and I’d like to see the commentary mirror this more.

This is so Plymuff. We’re launching a new streaming service and a couple of our fans questions revolve around the fact that they want the commentary team to criticise the team more. :lol: :lol:

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Daz, I agree with you.

Rob McNichol is an excellent choice as commentator. i assume his appointment was with this new streaming service in mind. He is informed and respectful. To commentate on the Charlton game must have been excruciating as the defensive disaster unfolded before is eyes. I think, the co-commentator, as long as it is not a contracted player, is better placed to make critical observation as Guy Branston did with aplomb. The occasional use of someone like Ian Ayres (at Wigan) and Sam Parkin (at Charlton) may provide some occasional non-green tint objective analysis.

I noticed that Ryan Lowe made reference to remarks and more particular ratings of players by reporters and was a bit miffed that players had been given a rating of 4 (clearly he dies not look at Steve Evans post match ratings!). He also made reference to players looking at social media and being sensitive to the comment. he said he was coming off social media at the end of the season.

For me there is a simple maxim if you are not prepared to make the comment face to face then it is probably best not to make the comment at all.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Graham Clark":3ufn2k7p said:
For me there is a simple maxim if you are not prepared to make the comment face to face then it is probably best not to make the comment at all.

:clap:

Ponty's been saying that for years Graham and I totally agree.

Although saying that, if you don't fancy a player who plays or has played for your club, to walk up and say 'you are useless' is quite harsh on the player to be fair.

Bearing that in mind, I have seen some truly terrible stuff written on John Lloyd's FB page and therein lies the problem. Social Media such as Twitter, FB and Instagram are notoriously bad at moderating anything out, unless it's Plymouth Hoe.

This site however whilst it doesn't allow really nasty stuff, will always defend Phil Evans' and other people's right to say a player is crap, because on occasions we all feel that about a certain player or players.

I also agree about Rob McNichol, I think he's an excellent commentator.

Apr 4, 2007
Grantham, Lincs
L G":sbmqercd said:
Wonder if PASOTI might be a bit more busier now that twitter and FB are being boycotted for the weekend. :think:

They might have hit the wrong weekend for that our season is done so not much to talk about and speculation about the new signing to come are a little premature.

Re the media offer, I'm more of an away fan due location but would welcome a little more build up and half time entertainment. It wouldn't stop me travelling down a few times a season but when I can't paying to view the game seems win win although how that fits with EFL rights i don't know.