Quiet Devonport End | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Quiet Devonport End

Aug 29, 2014
Im in block 3 and a large group always try to create an atmosphere trouble is most others dont seem interested in joining in ....maybe they are the people who moan about lack of atmosphere the most.

May 4, 2018
I think thereā€™s more concentrated support at an away game which seems to create a better atmosphere.
Weā€™ve been to quite a few away games and thatā€™s the only conclusion I can come to.
Itā€™s great when the Devonport end gets going but we sat in the Lyndhurst last year and it was difficult to get the supporters joining in, even worse in the Grandstand.
Even when you watch matches on the tv thereā€™s not many British clubs that really create a great atmosphere, Wolves are an exception and Millwall but we seem to be ā€œtoo reservedā€, when you watch Champions League a lot of the European clubs esp the Spanish are phenomenal.
Letā€™s all make a concerted effort on Saturday and see if we can create an atmosphere to mirror the great number of supporters Argyle attracts to itā€™s home games. :thumbs:

May 7, 2019
Well, being a member of the Devonport End myself, I thought that it was an average night for the faithful, but not the worst night. Some great chants when Argyle won their corners etc. I agree that the RL chant is likely overused but it does get everyone going - the words are easy to follow! :thumbup: The Canavan "magic hat" chant in the second half was a highlight for me - a personal favourite. However, I am a traditionalist - I like "Come on you Greens...! and "Argyyyyyle [repeat]". I miss "We love you Argyle, we do..." - seems rarer these days.

Sometimes it's the way Argyle are playing. If Danny Mayor is making run after run against the opposition Buster Phillips style (e.g. Salford) then it gets everyone going. Sometimes it's the way the opposition play - Mansfield tore us apart earlier in the season and everyone was stunned into silence. Sometimes it's when there's a character on/off the pitch that you love to hate - I remember a classic evening of Devonport End vs Lyle Taylor when he played for The Wombles. And sometimes you just need to respond to the away fans - difficult when you can normally count them in League Two... from the Devonport End... and without binoculars.

I do find it fascinating that the Devonport End takes criticism from other areas of the ground that tend to produce less noise than a retirement home. If any of the faithful in the Lyndhurst or Grandstand would like to get a chant going then please be our guest! :wave:

It's all good fun, people. We all want the same outcome. Maybe safe standing areas would help?

Mar 23, 2019
football-bet-data":e6p8xkm9 said:
Martyn":e6p8xkm9 said:
Outsung by Cambridge and Grimsby, donā€™t think so.

Thought the Devonport end, was their usual excellence last night.
Barely heard them at all watching on ifollow, the Grimsby commentator (who was very good and complimentary) mentioned on a few occasions how quiet the ground was and how surprised he was with the lack of atmosphere.
Been the same for 12 - 15 years now

Can't agree with that. Block 16/Zoo Corner used to create one hell of an atmosphere.

Football in the UK is going down the pan. Fans are just customers these days.

May 16, 2016
So where has the noise gone now that the Devonport generally get to stand ?

Lack of Pyros I expect.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
TheBoldman":3mnkz7fg said:
Well, being a member of the Devonport End myself, I thought that it was an average night for the faithful, but not the worst night. Some great chants when Argyle won their corners etc. I agree that the RL chant is likely overused but it does get everyone going - the words are easy to follow! :thumbup: The Canavan "magic hat" chant in the second half was a highlight for me - a personal favourite. However, I am a traditionalist - I like "Come on you Greens...! and "Argyyyyyle [repeat]". I miss "We love you Argyle, we do..." - seems rarer these days.

Sometimes it's the way Argyle are playing. If Danny Mayor is making run after run against the opposition Buster Phillips style (e.g. Salford) then it gets everyone going. Sometimes it's the way the opposition play - Mansfield tore us apart earlier in the season and everyone was stunned into silence. Sometimes it's when there's a character on/off the pitch that you love to hate - I remember a classic evening of Devonport End vs Lyle Taylor when he played for The Wombles. And sometimes you just need to respond to the away fans - difficult when you can normally count them in League Two... from the Devonport End... and without binoculars.

I do find it fascinating that the Devonport End takes criticism from other areas of the ground that tend to produce less noise than a retirement home. If any of the faithful in the Lyndhurst or Grandstand would like to get a chant going then please be our guest! :wave:

It's all good fun, people. We all want the same outcome. Maybe safe standing areas would help?

Agreed

Another chant I enjoyed last night was the one from the Leicester away game a few seasons back aimed at Holloway.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Oggy oggy oggy is easy and effective.
Back in the day when you had to get to the ground early to claim your crush barrier, there used to be plenty of counter chanting amongst those in the Demport . Youngsters might find it hard to believe but chants of ā€œCeltic - Rangersā€. and ā€œUnited- Liverpoolā€ were regularly heard as kick off approached; it was effective too .

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I wasn't there last night so can't comment specifically about that - but generally I think the atmosphere this season has been particularly good ..... especially given the fact we're in the basement division after a disastrous end to last season. Ever since PASOTI has existed (I joined 2004) there have been threads about how the atmosphere ain't what it was in the good 'ol days - even after games I've come away thinking the place was buzzing. There is a certain amount of self-flagellation about it and dare I say the older ones in particular like to go in for it. If the commentators felt the need to mention it - it may well be because HP has a reputation for being one of the louder grounds these days. I've heard similar things said by commentators & pundits about Palace & Pompey when it goes quiet there..... "the crowd seem very subdued" - simply because they have reputations (rightly or wrongly I don't know) for creating a good atmosphere. Last night we played Grimsby FFS...... GRIMSBY (even the name is depressing) ........on a wet Tuesday night. We're not playing Real Madrid just yet - let's be realistic.

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
Over time the baton gets handed down to the younger generations. It is then their turn to come up with and sing/start the songs. As was always inevitable, said baton has reached the millennials......................................

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Ave_IT":28db1a0s said:
Last night we played Grimsby FFS...... GRIMSBY (even the name is depressing) ........on a wet Tuesday night. We're not playing Real Madrid just yet - let's be realistic.

Somewhat patronising on a club whose average finishing position in English football each season is 42nd...ā€¦. six places ABOVE that of Argyle's

;)

Feb 9, 2020
We haven't got any heroes at the moment
No Carey ,lameras, Bradley to sing about we sing antoni sarvevic, every now and then and luke jephcot ,one of our own. So we sing Ryan Lowe the hero at this moment in time. When we get promotion we will be singing about mayor, Moore, hardi I'm sure.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Lundan Cabbie":9h2ohehe said:
Ave_IT":9h2ohehe said:
Last night we played Grimsby FFS...... GRIMSBY (even the name is depressing) ........on a wet Tuesday night. We're not playing Real Madrid just yet - let's be realistic.

Somewhat patronising on a club whose average finishing position in English football each season is 42nd...ā€¦. six places ABOVE that of Argyle's

;)

Paul I know you're an anorak but I find that stat incredible, are you sure?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
When Bakinson scored, there was such a delay before anyone cheered that I checked the linesman to see if it had been ruled out.

Jul 14, 2008
IJN":cmf00sud said:
Lundan Cabbie":cmf00sud said:
Ave_IT":cmf00sud said:

;)

Paul I know you're an anorak but I find that stat incredible, are you sure?
It is quite surprising but they have spent a good portion of their history in the second tier and in the 30ā€™s were mainstays in the first division.
http://stats.football.co.uk/league_hist ... ndex.shtml